PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Harry & Hermione?

BabbyO
02-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Has anyone seen this? What are your thoughts? Sorry if this was posted earlier and I missed it.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/02/showbiz/rowling-hermione-ron-revelation/

I actually have very mixed feelings. On one hand I totally agree. On the other, I like the Harry/Ginny pair (though maybe I agree that the Ron/Hermione pair is not the best). Frankly, in a friendship like that, I don't know if I believe that any combination of 2 of the 3 would end up married.

BabyBearsMom
02-04-2014, 03:06 PM
Ludicrous. If Harry ended up with Hermione I would be totally icked out. They are like siblings!

BabbyO
02-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Ludicrous. If Harry ended up with Hermione I would be totally icked out. They are like siblings!

I actually feel like Hermione and Ron are more like siblings much of the time. IDK, I do sort of agree that Hermione and Ron are not the right pair and as I said, I do like Harry and Ginny. It felt right for me from the beginning.

Neatfreak
02-04-2014, 03:19 PM
I thought that it was wonderful that there was a book series featuring boy who was best friends with a girl who wasn't his love interest - wasn't even secreting harbouring a crush on him. And she was still a critical person in his life. To me, this was a strength of the series, and I'm kind of sad that the author doesn't value this like I do!

sarahsthreads
02-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Timely, since I just finished re-reading the entire series yesterday - I started when DS was born since there's lots of nursing/holding napping baby time that's ideal for reading. :)

I disagree. I think Harry/Ginny is better than Harry/Hermione would be. I have mixed feelings about Ron/Hermione, but after starting a romantic relationship - and the groundwork for that was laid in book 4 with the whole subplot where she dated Krum - I think it was either continue to that natural conclusion or have some hard feelings on one side or the other that would have permanently broken up the trio.

Sarah :)

minnie-zb
02-04-2014, 03:27 PM
I'm team Ron/Hermione. I thought it worked and made sense. Harry and Hermione, to me, is much too obvious.

ETA: You should do poll! This would be a fun poll.

Ceepa
02-04-2014, 03:29 PM
No, no, no.

Harry should have ended up with Luna.

BTW, Harry and Ginny never seemed believable to me.

minnie-zb
02-04-2014, 03:30 PM
No, no, no.

Harry should have ended up with Luna.

Agree with this!!! Didn't know I had so many passionate thoughts on this subject.

SnuggleBuggles
02-04-2014, 03:33 PM
I never, ever thought Harry and Hermione should be a couple. No way. Ron and Hermione is much better.

BabbyO
02-04-2014, 03:35 PM
I'm team Ron/Hermione. I thought it worked and made sense. Harry and Hermione, to me, is much too obvious.

ETA: You should do poll! This would be a fun poll.

I totally would add a poll, but I don't know how to do it after the fact? :(

SnuggleBuggles
I thought that it was wonderful that there was a book series featuring boy who was best friends with a girl who wasn't his love interest - wasn't even secreting harbouring a crush on him. And she was still a critical person in his life. To me, this was a strength of the series, and I'm kind of sad that the author doesn't value this like I do!

Excellent observation. :)

vonfirmath
No.
I like the way it worked out. Harry and Hermione best friends. Harry and Ron best friends. Ron and HErmione the married type of best friends and Harry and Ginny -- esp because of Ginny's family. He needs that.

scrooks
02-04-2014, 03:59 PM
I totally agree. If Harry and hermione had secret crushes on each other THAT would have ended up the focus of the book...

citymama
02-04-2014, 04:00 PM
I'm with Harry-Hermione. Ron was too much of a bumbling fool for Hermione, IMO - not a good message for smart girls! In truth, I thought her with the dreamy Cedric (played by Robert Pattinson in the movie) made much more sense - but JKR killed him off. Or just have her stay single until she's older - how about that crazy idea?

I liked Harry and Cho, but then JKR turned Cho into a weepy girl. Not Ginny, though. That always seemed more convenient than likely.

lizzywednesday
02-04-2014, 04:05 PM
I think she wrote it well and shouldn't have second-guessed herself.

Honestly, I loved the way that Hermione wasn't a "love interest" earlier in the series because it allowed her to really grow as an integral character.

And, frankly, calling the Hermione-Ron pairing "marrying down" as one writer did this week is kind of offensive to Hermione - she's obviously the brains & breadwinner of the pairing, thereby ending the Weasley poverty-cycle that the Malfoys mocked Ron & Mr. Weasley through the series. Not that I've given it any thought or anything.

Their personalities are complementary.

IDK about the possibility of a Harry/Luna pairing, though that would have been interesting, but I think she was just written as too odd. I still love her and think she probably grew up to teach at Hogwarts (probably becoming Head of Ravenclaw House) or possibly do research in the Department of Mysteries.

SnuggleBuggles
02-04-2014, 04:11 PM
I'm with Harry-Hermione. Ron was too much of a bumbling fool for Hermione, IMO - not a good message for smart girls! In truth, I thought her with the dreamy Cedric (played by Robert Pattinson in the movie) made much more sense - but JKR killed him off. Or just have her stay single until she's older - how about that crazy idea?

I liked Harry and Cho, but then JKR turned Cho into a weepy girl. Not Ginny, though. That always seemed more convenient than likely.

Ron's personality is a total complement to Hermione. He'd mellow her and things out while she would push him and bring out his best. I wouldn't call him a bumbling fool though. Likeable doofus maybe. :)

BabbyO
02-04-2014, 05:02 PM

I agree, I liked Cho at first, but didn't like the weepy version of her. I'm not sure why JKR changed her. That said, what I really like about the Ginny/Harry pairing is that Ginny is a bit quieter, but still a strong person. Since Harry always wanted to just blend in from the beginning, I thought she made a lot of sense. Plus, the fact that he's part of the Weasley family just makes sense, too.

ETA: I don't think Ron is a bumbling fool. But I don't know if Ron and Hermione would make it...they are too much like siblings to me. I like to think Ron would mellow Hermione and she'd push him where/when he needed it, but I just don't know if that would happen.

OKKiddo
02-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Ron is naive, unmotivated and in desperate need of charm school but not stupid--remember he pretty much got the same grades as Harry. Saying Ron is a bumbling fool or that Hermione is marrying down and then pairing Hermione with Harry for those reasons basically calls Harry stupid as well.

citymama
02-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Ron is naive, unmotivated and in desperate need of charm school but not stupid--remember he pretty much got the same grades as Harry. Saying Ron is a bumbling fool or that Hermione is marrying down and then pairing Hermione with Harry for those reasons basically calls Harry stupid as well.

I am being uncharitable, but that's really the impression I get from the actor who plays Ron - that's how he looks and plays him. The Ron in the books is no fool, although he does provide some comic relief. Likable doofus, yes!

elliput
02-04-2014, 05:36 PM
I am being uncharitable, but that's really the impression I get from the actor who plays Ron - that's how he looks and plays him. The Ron in the books is no fool, although he does provide some comic relief.
That is how he was directed to act, and JKR had creative input on all the movies. I would not lay the movie portrayal of Ron completely on Rupert Grint.

elliput
02-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Harry + Hermione = Trope. I don't think the entire story would have worked as well if she had to build up a Harry/Hermione romance plot line.

mackmama
02-04-2014, 05:43 PM
I like Harry and Ginny. Rob and Hermione felt like siblings to me.

wendmatt
02-04-2014, 05:59 PM
It was perfect that Harry ended up with Ginny, it gave him a big family that he'd never had. The Ginny in the book was a really strong feisty character but I thought was weak and not a good portrayal in the movies. I think Ron and Hermione might need counseling, but were a good match. Harry and Hermione? NO WAY!!! Like pps have said, it was good that there was no romantic interest and they were the best of friends. And I like happy endings, so it was all perfect for me :)

TwinFoxes
02-04-2014, 06:05 PM
I don't think Harry/Hermione would suck, however I do like Harry/Ginny. I do NOT like Hermione/Ron. For all the reasons JK Rowling mentions. Completely mismatched, I don't understand what she sees in him, and he was an ass to her for a lot of their adolescence. I could see her with the surviving twin more than Ron.

BabbyO
02-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Who do you like as a couple from HP?

ETA: Darn...I think I forgot to check multiple answers are ok...sorry!

Ceepa
02-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Harry didn't need to marry Ginny to be part of the Weasley family. He WAS family to them regardless of whom he ended up with. And the Weasleys would have welcomed Harry's wife into their fold even if she weren't Ginny. So I think it was a little too neatly tied together by Rowling to have the four pair off as they did.

I also liked that Hermione could be best friends with Harry without the dramatic love triangle with Ron.

vonfirmath
02-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Of course they did. But did HARRY properly think of himself as part of the Weasley family? No. I think he needed to be married to their daughter to feel himself a part. Otherwise he would never have allowed himself to be part.

bisous
02-04-2014, 07:13 PM
It was perfect that Harry ended up with Ginny, it gave him a big family that he'd never had. The Ginny in the book was a really strong feisty character but I thought was weak and not a good portrayal in the movies. I think Ron and Hermione might need counseling, but were a good match. Harry and Hermione? NO WAY!!! Like pps have said, it was good that there was no romantic interest and they were the best of friends. And I like happy endings, so it was all perfect for me :)

Agree completely!

Seitvonzu
02-04-2014, 07:41 PM
I like hermione and ron. i think they sorta had a childhood crush that developed as their characters did. i don't think there is anything wrong with her being smarter than him--it's sorta a balance thing. ron provides necessary balance. he's not stupid. he's just NOT hermione...which is fine! who wants to be married to themselves?

i always think back to book three -- when ron was helping hagrid when hermione didn't have time (that was when she was taking all those classes with her time bender thing right?) and hagrid needed legal help for the griffin? am i remember this right? anyway-- ron did that. for hermione? i just thought that was the start of things getting "real " and he really showed lots of development.

am i the only one who is sick of JKR gossiping about her own books all the time? it's pretty predictable. "oh, yes dumbledore is gay" (uh, WHO CARES? and doesn't that only bring up things that make the whole series a bit awkward... i don't know. do we really need to know the headmasters sexuality and how that impacts adolescent characters? it's not an issue of is or isn't but why do we CARE?) and now this..... was billions of dollars not enough attention for these book/movies?

i don't really care about ginny weasley one way or the other. i think it's fair that harry is happy with a big family :) i think luna would have a been a quirky person to end up with too (love her) but i always imagine she ends up with neville :) aren't they both teachers at hogwarts? (they are in my world :):):))

jam224
02-04-2014, 08:18 PM
I don't know about Harry + Hermione, but I always thought Harry + Ginny was a "wish fulfillment" for the sake of fans. That relationship never had any sparks for me.

Ceepa
02-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Of course they did. But did HARRY properly think of himself as part of the Weasley family? No. I think he needed to be married to their daughter to feel himself a part. Otherwise he would never have allowed himself to be part.

Well to be honest, Harry had so much emotional baggage from his childhood and adolescence that a marriage to a Weasley wasn't going to heal him any more than he would have allowed himself to be healed by marriage to anyone. Does he let Ginny "in" any more than others because she's a Weasley? I would argue he wouldn't unless he dealt with much larger deeper issues he was shouldering.

Wow, we are getting a little out there. LOL!

bisous
02-04-2014, 08:31 PM
I don't know about Harry + Hermione, but I always thought Harry + Ginny was a "wish fulfillment" for the sake of fans. That relationship never had any sparks for me.

I can see this. But I also see something really nice about them. They "get" each other like Hermione gets Harry. Ginny is always there but she's also her own person. I enjoyed watching Ginny's character development. From the little girl that needs to be saved in book 2 to the independent, opinionated and confident girl she is in book 7. She seems SO solid and Harry needs that. I also like that Hermione and Harry were only ever friends. The world needs more "just friends" relationships and this was a great model!

AnnieW625
02-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Why oh why is she changing the outcome of her books again? I haven't read them, but first the thing with Dumbledore and now this; why can't she just leave things well enough alone?

egoldber
02-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Harry and Ginny -- esp because of Ginny's family. He needs that.

I agree. Harry and Ginny makes a lot more sense in the books than in the movie IMO.

And I don't think Ron is dumb. An underachiever, perhaps. But they remind me of DH and myself. :) DH did not get good grades, but is very smart and socially savvy. I'm totally Hermione with book smarts over social skills. Together, they complement each other.

sariana
02-04-2014, 09:12 PM
Why oh why is she changing the outcome of her books again? I haven't read them, but first the thing with Dumbledore and now this; why can't she just leave things well enough alone?

Publicity stunt. She needs to draw attention back to the books every so often.

annex
02-04-2014, 09:22 PM
I'm still smiling from a poster somewhere else who suggested the pairing she really wanted was "Lovegood & Longbottom" (as they would also name their detective agency that they opened together.) I would totally read that fanfic!

I didn't much care for the tidy ending envisioned for Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione. Kids who grow up together all pairing off and marrying? Friends forever, certainly. But the romances didn't ring true enough for me.

sariana
02-04-2014, 09:28 PM
The movies ruined both Ron and Ginny. Actually, Hermione too. They made Ron into a doofus (he's not in the books); they made Ginny non-descript (she's anything but in the books); they made Hermione into a Mary Sue--too perfect for her own good.

So disregarding the movies entirely, I voted for Harry/Ginny because I couldn't vote twice. Otherwise I also would have voted for Harry/Luna. I said on another board that I think they might work because Harry is intrigued by Luna and Luna respects Harry.

I'm okay with Harry/Ginny, but I would have been okay with Harry/Hermione too because I don't mind "trite." I don't care if it's "too obvious" or "sappy" or anything like that. But I don't like inconsistency.

I think Rowling was having doubts even when she wrote the epilogue. I always thought it was a bad sign that Ron claims that Hermione doesn't know he cheated on his Muggle driving test. Either he deceived her, which is bad, or she turned a blind eye and he doesn't realize it, which isn't much better.

I really don't think Ron/Hermione makes sense in the long term. I can see how they would get together, but I just don't see how they would stay together. They don't have anything in common. His two passions are chess and Quidditch, neither of which interest Hermione. Rowling tried to show Ron as sharing an interest with Hermione by having him care about the House Elves, but I think it was totally contrived. I don't think he DOESN'T care about them, but I don't see him ever having the passion, or even the understanding of it, that Hermione has. Intellectually I think he could hold his own against her--he isn't stupid. But culturally they are worlds apart. Sometimes that works IRL, but more often it doesn't. (Happens all the time in literature/Hollywood though.)

Harry/Hermione makes some sense because they share a Muggle background and culture. They both are able to see things through the two very different lenses, while many of the characters can't. I don't think that necessarily makes them compatible, but it is a commonality. I also don't think it's an impossible divide to bridge, but it would be a factor in a relationship. In fact, it kind of bothers me that Hermione just turns her back on her Muggle identity. I'm actually writing a story about it because I think it is unrealistic to expect her to divorce herself entirely from that world, as she seems to do.

I think Hermione would be better off with someone else entirely. The Trio+Ginny always will be good friends; they don't need to be spouses.

I kind of agree with the person who said Hermione made more sense with George (the surviving twin). I think she, like Harry, craved the large family the Weasley clan provided. (She was an only child, a change from Rowling's original plan.) But I don't think Ron was the best match for her.

If I could redo it, I probably would keep Harry with Ginny. BookGinny is a better match for him than MovieGinny. I might pair Ron with Luna, who has an obvious crush on him in Book 6. But more likely I would pair both Ron and Hermione with New Characters, perhaps people they met at their career training.

But then, no one asked me!:p

SnuggleBuggles
02-04-2014, 09:36 PM
I can see this. But I also see something really nice about them. They "get" each other like Hermione gets Harry. Ginny is always there but she's also her own person. I enjoyed watching Ginny's character development. From the little girl that needs to be saved in book 2 to the independent, opinionated and confident girl she is in book 7. She seems SO solid and Harry needs that. I also like that Hermione and Harry were only ever friends. The world needs more "just friends" relationships and this was a great model!

I like this explanation. :)

Mopey
02-05-2014, 01:33 AM
The match ups all make sense to me personally. And I was always rooting for Lovegood/Longbottom!! Was so happy when they featured them in the last movie :D

sariana
02-05-2014, 02:59 AM
Luna marries the grandson of Newt Scamander. Neville marries Hannah Abbott, which I think is a good match. She always struck me as a gentle person, perfect for nervous Neville.

Rowling said Luna was just too "out there" for Neville and would frighten him. The filmmakers obviously disregarded that interview, which is fine with me.

klwa
02-05-2014, 08:00 AM
I really liked the Ron/Hermione match up in the books (& somewhat on screen). On screen, Harry & Ginny didn't work well together, but in the books, I thought they did.

Corie
02-05-2014, 01:41 PM
am i the only one who is sick of JKR gossiping about her own books all the time?

Yes, me too. She needs to just walk away and leave it alone.