PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your awesome soap dish!

twowhat?
02-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Something that looks nice, too. I like the natural (think bamboo, stone) look. Our ped has recommended switching to using Dove bar soap for all handwashing - so I need to get 4-5 soap dishes. And since it's Dove, it needs to be one with high enough ridges or something to keep the soap above any accumulated liquid.

elliput
02-05-2014, 12:20 PM
No recommendation on a soap dish, as mine are just something I liked from BBB, however, something to help the soap last longer is to open the box and let it dry out for several weeks before using. There is less soapy goop in the soap dish too.

elbenn
02-05-2014, 12:30 PM
This isn't a beautiful dish, but it works great. I replaced a beautiful marble soap dish with this because it keeps the soap much better. http://www.amazon.com/Idea-Works-Waterfall-Soap-Saver/dp/B004MYF7XU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391617788&sr=8-1&keywords=waterfall+soap+dish If you want a prettier soap dish, frontgate has some beautiful ones.

OKKiddo
02-05-2014, 01:00 PM
No recommendation on a soap dish, as mine are just something I liked from BBB, however, something to help the soap last longer is to open the box and let it dry out for several weeks before using. There is less soapy goop in the soap dish too.

I didn't know about letting dry out. I use the Costco Kirkland soap that is similar to Dove and it doesn't seem to dissolve like Dove does.

twowhat?
02-05-2014, 01:14 PM
I didn't know about letting dry out. I use the Costco Kirkland soap that is similar to Dove and it doesn't seem to dissolve like Dove does.

I've never heard of this either but it makes sense. The Kirkland soap definitely doesn't dissolve like Dove - and I hate it! I donated the one batch I bought to try it out. It is much more drying to my skin and leaves that sticky "film". Dove is still our gold standard here!

ahisma
02-05-2014, 01:43 PM
This isn't a beautiful dish, but it works great. I replaced a beautiful marble soap dish with this because it keeps the soap much better. http://www.amazon.com/Idea-Works-Waterfall-Soap-Saver/dp/B004MYF7XU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391617788&sr=8-1&keywords=waterfall+soap+dish If you want a prettier soap dish, frontgate has some beautiful ones.

I've use this one too. Not beautiful, but very functional.

I'm curious, why did your ped suggest that? Our ped had us toss all of our bar soap after DS2 had MRSA, but said that in general she doesn't recommend bar soap because of all of the superbugs. I miss it! We use Seventh Generation pump soap now.

baymom
02-05-2014, 01:50 PM

I just read about this tip last year and have been airing out our soap since. It really has seemed to make a big difference!

KpbS
02-05-2014, 03:26 PM

I'm curious, why did your ped suggest that? Our ped had us toss all of our bar soap after DS2 had MRSA, but said that in general she doesn't recommend bar soap because of all of the superbugs. I miss it! We use Seventh Generation pump soap now.

To me it sounds like your ped is assuming the bar soap has triclosan. Dove unscented, sensitive skin variety doesn't and I am not sure that any Dove varieties contain triclosan. I think "regular" bar soap that doesn't contain some antibacterial agents does not promote superbugs. We use Dove and some glycerin type based bar soaps from Whole Foods.

I use one of those little plastic rectangles with little prongs (not sure of the name of those guys) under our bar soaps to let them dry out fully with any soap dish. I think you can find them at the Container Store.

OKKiddo
02-05-2014, 04:47 PM
I've never heard of this either but it makes sense. The Kirkland soap definitely doesn't dissolve like Dove - and I hate it! I donated the one batch I bought to try it out. It is much more drying to my skin and leaves that sticky "film". Dove is still our gold standard here!

I have noticed I still have dry skin even after buying something that should have as much moisturizer as it claims it does. My biggest issue is how SCENTED the Kirkland soap is!! It stings my nose a little bit when washing with it--I've taken to putting it in the guest bathroom downstairs and the bathroom smells really nice now (no one uses that bathroom). I'm glad I didn't buy the larger pack or I would have to put bar soap in every room for potpourri instead, lol.

twowhat?
02-05-2014, 05:51 PM

A couple of issues - DD2 broke out into a post-viral infection follicular rash. All over her body - it was the worst on her hands and feet. Both girls have just really dry skin/eczema and the rash exacerbated the problem. We use Cerave after every bath but with the cold dry air we've been having and all the handwashing at school and home, their hands are kind of a wreck with dry skin. So the recommendation was to help with healing the hands since liquid pump soaps are so awful on the skin. He actually specifically said to use Dove bar soap only, and try to use warm (not hot) water whenever possible for handwashing instead of the ice-cold water that comes out of the tap since it has been so cold. We also started having them lotion up (Cerave again) after washing hands at home if they remember (which really isn't very often - haha). So far the soap switch has definitely been helping so we decided to make a family-wide switch with the exception of the soap pump in the kitchen - I still feel like I need the big detergent guns for sanitizing hands in the kitchen but that would just be the adults:). Now our bathroom counters are the ones suffering from the dissolving Dove soap:)

I actually love the original Dove White bar soap and I don't think it has triclosan. We (adults) use it for showers.