PDA

View Full Version : Unusual breastmilk question

flashy09
02-06-2014, 11:31 AM
This is a little strange, but I am curious if this is ever done. I have pumped maybe 4 oz of milk, mostly when engorged at night and baby is getting more than enough off one side and either skips or nurses for 2 minutes on the other side(last time I never had any engorgement, this time I have huge hard leaking boobs after 3 hrs).

We lost power at 11 pm on Tuesday night and just got it back. I feel like the milk has gone through several temperature fluctuations and although its always been cold, I am still nervous. I don't need it right now for DD2 and was planning on freezing for a later time.

However, hate throwing it out after my struggles to make bottles with DD1! DD1 gets home from preschool at 12 and has milk before her nap. Can I give her this breastmilk? I am not worried about the milk itself for her - just get paranoid with newborns. She hasn't nursed since 11 months and is 2 now. Thanks!

♥ms.pacman♥
02-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Id totallly give it to the toddler. I did this sometime s with ds..with a preemie out of the nicu (dd) I was paranoid, and I just had soo much milk I would so if the milk was lwft out a bit I would just givr it to my ds who was 15mo at the time. He was no longer nursing at the time but still drank cows milk..he did not seem bothered. I agree it would be a shame to waste it plus it probably has nutrients for your older dc. Also I thought it was kind of cool I could feed both kiddos!

123LuckyMom
02-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Sure you can! I've never done it, but I don't see why it wouldn't be a good idea. It's good, nutritious stuff!

flashy09
02-06-2014, 01:34 PM
She loved it! Now I just hope she doesn't get picky about cow milk. So nice not seeing it wasted and I hope she did get some antibodies!

Seems funny now that I thought about asking about my own milk being ok. Sometimes I forget that cow milk is the foreign milk, lol.

Simon
02-06-2014, 01:35 PM
Yes, I totally did that with milk that I worried wouldn't be safe for a newborn, or if it couldn't be frozen and I had too much fresh.