PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with Outer Banks, NC, info

PAfirsttimemom
02-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Mods, I'm posting in the lounge for more traffic because I need some answers quickly.

My family and I are in the process of trying to find a rental home in the Outer Banks for a vacation June 15 to 22. We all like a house in Nags Head but have also looked at options on Hatteras island in the southern OBX.

I am wondering about the differences between these locations--busier vs more laid-back, for example. And I am especially interested in what the water and pool temps will be like at this time of year. I've heard that they can vary quite a bit between the northern and southern beaches, which could be a big factor since we are going early, just before the peak season starts.

I appreciate any input and feedback from people who have been to the Outer Banks. My family and I are newbies.

Thanks in advance!

kdeunc
02-06-2014, 02:34 PM
The southern end is definitely more laid back, no fast food restaurants, etc. There are restaurants, grocery stores, ice cream shops, shops, mini golf etc. I love it there! My inlaws live on the southern end and we are always able to be in the ocean in June. My kids typically will go in by Memorial Day, earlier if we are there! :) Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

PAfirsttimemom
02-06-2014, 02:44 PM
Thank you! I think our group is worried that there won't be enough to do in the south, especially for the kids. But I really worry about the water temps in June in the north. I keep hearing about how they are warmer in the south, which could be a factor since we are going on the earlier side--before peak season.

ETA: I love the sound of the laid-back aspects you describe. It's others in our group who worry the other way. :-)

LMPC
02-06-2014, 03:13 PM
We go to Ocracoke the week before Memorial Day. It's quiet/laid back but there's always lots to do. Obviously, there's the beach, but you can take trips to fish and also to other islands (that aren't inhabited)....you can rent kayaks and bikes....go look at the ponies...take the ferry (45 minutes) to Hatteras and see some other light houses. It makes for a nice week. Have fun whatever you decide!

drako
02-06-2014, 03:16 PM
We have been in Avon (hatteras island) and corolla (northern obx) the last week of June. We have experienced that the water temp can change from day to day depending how the jet stream is flowing. The water can be really warm one day and then really cold the next. As far as pools go, I think it depends on how warm it is outside. We have always had the option the heat the pools but the amount they charge for pool heat is crazy! I have never stayed in nags head but have been to various beaches up north and corolla is our favorite. We liked the feel on hatteras island since it's so quiet and laid back but it's still another hour or more (depending how far south you go) once you get to obx. After an 8 hr drive we don't want to add any more time to our trip.

Good luck! You can't go wrong since the main attraction of obx is the beach!

SASM
02-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Honestly, with this being your first trip to the OBX, I would go with Nags Head. That is central to a lot of attractions - mini golf, Jockeys Ridge, Wright Bros Monument, Roanoke Island/Manteo, grocery shops, outlet shopping, etc. Obviously, the beach is front and center but on days that you need a break from the sun (or rainy days), the central location is key. We stayed in NH our first year and realized that we really liked the northern beaches BUT we still go down to NH and RI at least one day during our vacation week for Jockeys Ridge and the aquarium. There are a lot of attractions on RI that would be fantastic during June - Elizabethan Gardens, Renaissance Park, Lost Colony, the village of Manteo, the pirate thing, and the aquarium. Just my 2 cents... We have friends who stay on Hatteras and Ocracoke. Those are neat areas but incredibly remote! Too long of a drive to do anything else. If it rained, my kids would have cabin fever... We like the option of attractions.

PAfirsttimemom
02-06-2014, 05:16 PM
We have been in Avon (hatteras island) and corolla (northern obx) the last week of June. We have experienced that the water temp can change from day to day depending how the jet stream is flowing. The water can be really warm one day and then really cold the next. As far as pools go, I think it depends on how warm it is outside. We have always had the option the heat the pools but the amount they charge for pool heat is crazy! I have never stayed in nags head but have been to various beaches up north and corolla is our favorite. We liked the feel on hatteras island since it's so quiet and laid back but it's still another hour or more (depending how far south you go) once you get to obx. After an 8 hr drive we don't want to add any more time to our trip.

Good luck! You can't go wrong since the main attraction of obx is the beach!

Hi. I appreciate the input. Am I understanding that no matter if in Avon or Corolla the water temps have varied day to day for you?

drako
02-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Yes, we experienced water temp changes in Avon. I think that early in the summer the water temp may be cooler no matter where you are in obx. Nags head is one of the southern most towns before you head to hatteras island. I think generally speaking the water will be slightly warmer in hatteras island but depends on the jet stream and even any storms that may be off shore too. When we were in Avon the water was cold one day and the next day we got rain. I wouldn't base your decision on water temp since there is no guarantee. I would look at amenities and proximity to the beach. Plus I dont really go in the ocean anymore (cant see my feel lol) but i find the waves to be really rough. Older dd just goes in and runs around where the waves come in. We always must have a house within 200 ft to the beach access. Some ocean side houses are a long walk and we just don't want to do that with little kids. We also like to have shops and restaurants to go to. We have never stayed in nags head so can't comment on beaches but do know the outlets, restaurants, stores etc are there. We stay in corolla and don't really go much farther south than duck.