PDA

View Full Version : A disney "package" ?? Good idea or not?

barkley1
02-06-2014, 05:42 PM
I'm reading the Unofficial Guide to Disney World 2014... What great and thorough information! We've never been to disney, so this is all new. The book in one part recommends against purchasing a package. Then it says packages are not saving you any money bc the components are at full price when you break it down. Then it says you cannot get Free Dining unless you buy a package, assuming it is offered.

We are going either late sept/early oct for 4 nights, or the first full week of oct. For 4 nights. I know they say free dining is typically offered during sept, but I wonder about that first week of October?

We are not depending on free dining, bc we just don't eat that much really, and the kids eat even less. It won't be the focus of our trip, BUT, it would be really nice if it was offered. Who'd pass up free food? :)

So my question is this (thanks if you're still reading!):

What are the downsides to purchasing packages vs room only? (I'm not really worried about losing deposits, etc, bc we will be getting trip insurance).

The dates we are thinking of going already have a package for room, tix, and free Memory Maker. Is it possible they'd add free dining to that, too, when it gets closer?free dining would be better.

KrisM
02-06-2014, 07:08 PM
You can see past discounts and dates here: http://www.mousesavers.com/historical-information-on-walt-disney-world-resort-discounts/#2013

Sometimes, the room discount will save you more than free dining would. Do the math when the deal comes out and figure out which makes more sense.

We are only doing tickets and a room. I dropped dining and we'll pay OOP.

I can't answer much else :)

egoldber
02-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Who'd pass up free food?

Me. :)

I am just not that fond of Disney food. And the kid food, while it actually has gotten better IMO, is extremely repetitive. My kids think their mac and cheese is gross. They like the hot dogs, pasta, and pizza. That's it. We also don't typically eat a sit down meal every day because my kids would rather be out doing stuff. Service is also not always fast at WDW restaurants.

We just went and did 3 sit down (character) meals, but in retrospect 2 would have been better.

I did run the numbers vs. the dining plan and while kids make out like bandits on the plan, adults do not. The price difference was HUGE between paying OOP vs. the dining plan for us.

123LuckyMom
02-06-2014, 08:11 PM
You need to price out how much you'd be saving on food vs. what you would save on your room. Usually, unless you're really big eaters, you'll save more on the room.

klwa
02-07-2014, 07:42 AM
We do the package because we just about break even that way, with our eating styles. We don't save a ton (although it usually ends up being in our favor), but more importantly we don't have to worry about cost once we get there. That said, I don't know what we'll do after this trip since the next time we go DS will be a Disney adult. It'll depend on whether he's reached the "I can eat a house & still be hungry" stage yet.

egoldber
02-07-2014, 09:25 AM
the next time we go DS will be a Disney adult

I think that's part of what made the difference for us this time. Older DD is a Disney "adult", but she doesn't eat much of the adult food.

Frankly, both of my kids would rather eat a peanut butter sandwich I packed in the hotel vs. almost anything on the Disney menu.

Also, I usually order CS from the kid's menu. I prefer the smaller portion sizes. I give the kids my drink and share DH's drink. Or we just get waters for everyone.