PDA

View Full Version : do you enjoy watching the olympics?

lmh2402
02-06-2014, 10:29 PM
I will admit that I'm a bit of a loser...I don't LOVE watching the Olympics. I will watch some each night, but am definitely not transfixed. I far prefer the summer games and will watch them much more avidly. I feel badly b/c I know how hard all the athletes have worked. I just...don't really like it. All the skiing and snowboarding and cold stuff. Just really not my thing. you?

SnuggleBuggles
02-06-2014, 10:35 PM
I like it when it's the finals of things. Too many prelims bore me, like tonight.

MommyAllison
02-06-2014, 10:38 PM
I love love love the Olympics! Summer and winter are both great, but I don't care for the opening and closing ceremonies.

specialp
02-06-2014, 10:41 PM
No. There are certain events in both the summer and winter olympics that I'm happy if I happen to catch it, but I do not even look for them to make sure I do. Don't feel bad. Those people have a following in their field I'm sure.

trales
02-06-2014, 11:13 PM
I am obsessed with the Winter Olympics and watch the streaming events and the televised. I am so happy to be on maternity leave and plan to watch all day and evening for the next 2 weeks.

Tenasparkl
02-07-2014, 12:28 AM
I love the figure skating! I'll watch a little skiing here and there, but mostly I just want to see skating.

ourbabygirl
02-07-2014, 12:30 AM
:yeahthat:

mom2binsd
02-07-2014, 01:34 AM
Love them, and have found a way to watch Canadian tv coverage by using hola.org to unblock it (I'm from Canada but live in the USA).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

sunnyside
02-07-2014, 02:20 AM
I would love to watch it, but we don't have cable and on first glance I don't think it's showing anywhere else.

SnuggleBuggles
02-07-2014, 08:52 AM
It's on NBC. Not cable. You can also live stream.

Momit
02-07-2014, 08:55 AM
I do love watching the Olympics, especially winter. My main beef is the US coverage so we often watch them on Canadian TV when we can.

ETA thanks for the tip, mom2binsd!

egoldber
02-07-2014, 09:02 AM
No. :duck:

I think the Olympics used to be fun, but they have become so commercial. And also, I think so many of these young athletes have to train to such a degree anymore (and/or use drugs) that it hurts their bodies.

HipMama
02-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Not really. I'll watch a bit here and there but I don't make a point to watch it .

mom2binsd
02-07-2014, 10:34 AM
NBC only lets you live stream free for 30 min, then you have to log in through your cable provider (comcast/Direct tv etc)....not sure what those who don't have cable have....you could try watching the Canadian coverage like I mentioned using hola.org

mikeys_mom
02-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Love watching! DH and the kids love it too. We are so excited for the next few weeks of nonstop Olympic coverage. We generally watch very little TV and never keep it on in the background while we are doing other things. One exception is during the Olympics. Canadian CBC coverage rocks!!

lizzywednesday
02-07-2014, 11:02 AM
I enjoy the jingoism, pomp, and ceremony on display with the various events.
I suspect that I'm in the minority on this, but I REALLY enjoy the opening & closing ceremonies.

What I do NOT enjoy is the US TV commentary during those ceremonies. I nearly lost my schnit on Meredith Viera for her blithe ignorance during the Opening Ceremony for the London games ... and I was SO peeved about the cut-away-to-commercial BS that interrupted the flow of the storytelling.

Does the CBC stream have Opening Ceremony coverage? I'd heard it didn't.

mikeys_mom
02-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Does the CBC stream have Opening Ceremony coverage? I'd heard it didn't.

Does this link work for you?
I'm watching right now, just not sure if it works outside of Canada.

http://olympics.cbc.ca/videos/live/video/olympic-opening-ceremony.html

lizzywednesday
02-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Does this link work for you?
I'm watching right now, just not sure if it works outside of Canada.

http://olympics.cbc.ca/videos/live/video/olympic-opening-ceremony.html

Thanks, but no, it doesn't work.

I think I'm going to have to suffer through Meredith during the recorded cast tonight on NBC. I know I shouldn't feel so strongly, but I hate her so much.

StantonHyde
02-07-2014, 11:24 AM
Love, love love it!!!!!!!! We have so many athletes from this area. I will be glued to the TV!!

carolinacool
02-07-2014, 12:05 PM
I will admit that I'm a bit of a loser...I don't LOVE watching the Olympics. I will watch some each night, but am definitely not transfixed. I far prefer the summer games and will watch them much more avidly. ?

This. I will have them on, but the summer games are definitely appointment TV for me. I'll be honest - the Beijing games just completely spoiled me. The opening ceremony was fantastic, there was all the excitement surrounding Michael Phelps, and we saw all the big events LIVE. No ducking around the Internet. The winter games in 2010 and even London to a certain extent fell flat to me. I'll give these a go, but Beijing seriously gave me life for two weeks.

KHF
02-07-2014, 12:12 PM
Honestly, I could care less about them...summer or winter. I will watch curling some since we don't get to see that usually in the US and I find it incredibly amusing. Past that though, I don't watch at all. I didn't even remember that the opening ceremonies were last night.

ba_mom
02-07-2014, 01:32 PM
No, I enjoy the summer Olympics more. I may catch the figure skating if it's convenient.

marymoo86
02-07-2014, 02:36 PM
Honestly, I could care less about them...summer or winter. I will watch curling some since we don't get to see that usually in the US and I find it incredibly amusing. Past that though, I don't watch at all. I didn't even remember that the opening ceremonies were last night.

me minus the curling

squimp
02-07-2014, 02:38 PM
I love watching the Olympics, summer or winter. I prefer summer because I love track and gymnastics, but the snowboarding is really great. I really love watching these young people at the peak of athleticism, it is amazing.

lizzywednesday
02-07-2014, 02:38 PM
... I didn't even remember that the opening ceremonies were last night.

Actually, they weren't. The Opening Ceremonies will be (rebroadcast) tonight.

Last night's events were the snowboarding prelims, some figure skating, and some skiing.

arivecchi
02-07-2014, 02:44 PM
I much prefer the Winter Olympics. Not too excited about the location this year though.

speo
02-07-2014, 03:50 PM
I love both the summer and winter Olympics. I am always frustrated by the way NBC covers it though. I hate how they piecemeal the broadcast and make you watch until 10:30 to see the end of any high-profile event. It is no use taping because then that will cut into the next night's events. I am very much excited to see skiing, snowboarding, short track, ski jumping, and speed skating. I do not really enjoy figure skating and I know that will be on nonstop.

mom2binsd
02-07-2014, 07:24 PM
That's why you need to download hola.org, then you can watch the CBC. Also I posted on Facebook last night and everyone agrees with me, NBC, the sport is simply HOCKEY, no need to keep calling it ice hockey!!!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/08/9eqyqe7u.jpg

I'm also suitably attired!

mommyp
02-07-2014, 07:31 PM
You can't believe how excited I am to learn there is a way to watch the CBC coverage! DH is going to be so happy. When we used to live in a border state, it was in our regular cable, but we miss it so much during the Olympics. I much prefer the Winter to the Summer Olympics but follow both.

StantonHyde
02-07-2014, 07:54 PM
That's why you need to download hola.org, then you can watch the CBC. Also I posted on Facebook last night and everyone agrees with me, NBC, the sport is simply HOCKEY, no need to keep calling it ice hockey!!!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/08/9eqyqe7u.jpg

I'm also suitably attired!

Where is the like button???

elephantmeg
02-07-2014, 08:42 PM
thank you! watching the opening now! And yeah! The Jamaican bob sled team made it! Love how they raised money online-in 2 days!

You can't believe how excited I am to learn there is a way to watch the CBC coverage! DH is going to be so happy. When we used to live in a border state, it was in our regular cable, but we miss it so much during the Olympics. I much prefer the Winter to the Summer Olympics but follow both.

123LuckyMom
02-07-2014, 08:56 PM
I hate the coverage, too! I'm going to try the Canadian coverage!

I really like the opening and closing ceremonies! We're all about to watch. The kids are staying up late to see it.

pinkmomagain
02-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Not a fan of the Olympics at all. Just not my thing.

hellokitty
02-07-2014, 11:26 PM
DH and I think that it is really fun to watch the winter olympics. I love watching anything, but hockey, on ice. Not bit into watching skiing, but I'll watch it. I just think that the winter olympics has really cool sports. As for the summer olympics... yawn. Track? Boooooring! Basketball? Stooopid, why is it an olympic event, they are professional players?!? Swimming and gymastics is about all I will watch for the summer olympics. I actually feel that gymnastics should be part of the winter olympics, it's a 100% indoor sport, and just seems to fit in better in the winter olympics vs. the summer olympics.