PDA

View Full Version : Have you been purchasing organic frozen fruit from Townsend at Costco or other stores

div_0305
02-07-2014, 01:09 PM
I'm hesitant to buy from this brand or any other brand that includes frozen fruit from Turkey, as I thought that was the source of the Hepatitis A poisoning from last year (which I thought sickened people in Europe, too). Recently I looked at the organic frozen antioxidant blend at Costco and it's still from Townsend and (if memory serves) includes pomegranates from Turkey. It's such a great price point for expensive organic berries, but I don't know what Costco or Townsend have done to make the food safe. In the meantime I buy from Trader Joes, but it's not as good a deal, and I will be going through a lot now that I've got a Nutribullet to try out (since DH is still not ready for us to get a Vitamix, but that's another post). Do you buy the Costco/Townsend berries and know what they are doing to keep the food supply safe?

AnnieW625
02-07-2014, 03:11 PM
I buy the Kirkland brand strawberries and the Wawona brand tropical fruit mix. Other than Costco Target's Market Pantry frozen fruit bags are a better deal than Trader Joe's, but they aren't organic, but then neither is the Wawona brand. Not sure if you have Smart & Final near you but they have good prices on frozen fruit too, but not organic.

zukeypur
02-07-2014, 03:12 PM
I somehow missed getting the contaminated berries at Costco, but I usually buy the mix with strawberries, pineapple, and mango. I feel confident that Costco wouldn't continue getting them if they were a problem, or if steps had not been taken to prevent another problem. That may be completely naive of me though.

OTOH, how do you like the nutribullet? I would love a vitamix but I can't spend that much on a blender.

div_0305
02-07-2014, 04:26 PM
OTOH, how do you like the nutribullet? I would love a vitamix but I can't spend that much on a blender.

I've only enjoyed smoothies from it made a by a friend at her house, and really enjoyed them! I just bought the Nutribullet at Costco, as they just started selling it at my local warehouse.

I don't bring high pesticide residue fruits such as conventional strawberries and apples into my household, so organic is necessary for us. You can't rinse off those pesticides as the fruit absorbs them.We have some local farms that try reduced pesticides for strawberries, but the price point is outrageous compared to organic at the store. I'd prefer Costco just sell the blend without the pomegranates--I don't think they can be processed without human contact.