PDA

View Full Version : Friday Fun: Favorite Beatle & favorite Beatle song?

AnnieW625
02-07-2014, 01:37 PM
In honor of the 50th Anniversary of The Beatles arriving in America who is your favorite Beatle, and what is your favorite Beatles song?

If I had to pick just one I would pick Paul as I have always thought he was the best looking, and Band on the Run was one of my first favorite songs as a kid. My mom however always liked George Harrison so we listened to a lot of solo George Harrison when I was growing up too. One of my earliest memories though is hearing from somewhere that John Lennon had been shot, I was under the age of 5 though (and I don't recall if it was immediately following his death or not, I was 3/1/2 then) for this memory so I don't think I knew the impact of just how famous he was, but just knew he'd been shot and killed and was a musician.

My favorite song is probably I Wanna Hold Your Hand, but Nowhere Man, Hey Jude, Paperback Writer, and Let It Be are also favorites. My least favorite song is Come Together, I can't listen to it at all, Yellow Submarine is a close second for worst song, but at least I can tune that one out. I have to turn off Come Together the second it comes on the radio (and I don't care for the Aerosmith cover at all).

My MIL's favorite Beatles song is Hey Jude, which is my Dh's middle name.

poll coming

Kindra178
02-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Happiness is a Warm Gun.

lmh2402
02-07-2014, 01:46 PM
not possible to pick one favorite. toss up between let it be, ob-la-di, yesterday, blackbird, come together, and in my life. though, i really love many more than those.

cvanbrunt
02-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Yeah. How can you pick a favorite song from that entire catalog of brilliance? I think Yesterday was voted greatest pop song ever written. I love that one. And everything else they recorded.

ETA: I was wrong. Yesterday was voted greatest song of the 20th century.

AnnieW625
02-07-2014, 02:07 PM
You are all right, but have some fun! Yesterday is an awesome song, and I like Blackbird, and most of the White Album, which was the first Beatles album I ever got when I was 11 from my dad's best friend.

Tenasparkl
02-07-2014, 02:17 PM
John without a doubt. My mom was a George fan.

SO many great songs, but one that I love and haven't seen mentioned yet is Help! It's such a great pop song.

Seitvonzu
02-07-2014, 02:24 PM
i have lots of beatles favorites..... for different reasons.

my little daughter's favorite song of all time though is "strawberry fields forever" and when she sings it to me? well, that's my favorite.

that said, when she was a baby i used to sing her four songs before bed, twinkle, twinkle little star, goodnight my love, castle on a cloud (from les mis) and In my life. i could sing "in my life" in the middle of target and she would stop crying. during those times? IN MY LIFE. hands down :)

my daughter is a "lucy" and her room still has her "nursery" theme- lucy in the sky with diamonds :)-- "marmelade" (for the marmelade sky) walls w/ one that is done in cloud paint. when she was a baby we had the words "love you forever, and forever , love you with all my heart... love you whenever we're together, love you when we're apart" over her crib. (so that's two more favorites right there)

have ya'll seen across the universe? i love all the songs in that one too....blackbird, fallen, i wanna hold your hand... all of them. great covers. oh-- and i am sam? what an amazing use of beatles work-- particularly "two of us"- LOVE that cover.

i had a sweet friend that was a beatles uber fan. he sent me a great cd of his favorites, and every one of those songs is just about perfect... :) it was a sad day when that cd sorta "gave out."

love.the.beatles. no one could EVER convince me they are overrated. never!

Mopey
02-07-2014, 02:26 PM
I've always loved Georgie boy. While my guitar gently weeps has an intro that just makes me swoon. Although I've just seen a face might be the best.ever. Love to sing along to that one! Oh jeez! Love them!!!!!!!!

lizzywednesday
02-07-2014, 02:28 PM
Ringo.

Because of this sequence from A Hard Day's Night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIvEc4yhdpM

I also have a soft spot for George.

Favorite song, hmmm. It depends on the day, but among my all-time favorites are In My Life and When I'm 64, both of which were played at our wedding reception, and The Long and Winding Road, which I used for a talk at a religious retreat on the subject of "homecoming."

ETA: Also am partial to Blackbird, Guitar, Octopus's Garden and Maxwell's Silver Hammer. I'm constantly hearing songs I'd never heard before and enjoying the insight they've given me into the Beatles' trajectory.

ilfaith
02-07-2014, 03:00 PM
I can't pick a favorite Beatle. It's like asking me to choose a favorite among my children.

But my favorite song is Something.

MelissaTC
02-07-2014, 03:04 PM
When I was younger I would have said John. But as I have gotten older, George has become my favorite.

I can not pick just one song. Way too hard. Some on my list - "Something", "Hey Jude", "Here Comes the Sun", "Daytripper", "All You Need is Love", "Ticket to Ride", "Help!"...I could go on.

I love the Beatles. And I loved The Beatles Love by Cirque de Soleil. That was such an amazing show.

lalasmama
02-07-2014, 03:21 PM
How could anyone choose just one song?!?!

DD loves the Beatles. To be honest, I didn't know I loved them until I bought DD a "kids bop" type CD of Beatles songs. Now, it's our go-to dance/singing CD.

Mopey
02-07-2014, 03:38 PM
How could anyone choose just one song?!?!

DD loves the Beatles. To be honest, I didn't know I loved them until I bought DD a "kids bop" type CD of Beatles songs. Now, it's our go-to dance/singing CD.

I didn't really listen until late high school/college so I always used to say my love for them bloomed late, but hard! :D

egoldber
02-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Ringo. :)

Toss up for me between Blackbird and When I'm 64.

wendibird22
02-07-2014, 03:46 PM
Paul. But only Beatles Paul and not Wings Paul. George is a close second.

Favorite song...oh gosh that's hard. Blackbird is up there. Penny Lane. Paperback Write. But I think if forced to pick just one it would be Something. What a romantic song.

A few years ago for my birthday DH surprised me with an overnight trip and tix for The Beatles Rain show. I was in pure HEAVEN! That's the closest thing to seeing the real Beatles.

Mopey
02-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Paperback Writer.

:yeahthat: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lizzywednesday
02-07-2014, 03:58 PM

But my favorite song is Something.

I didn't care for that song until Paul's rendition at the Concert for George:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7_MsY2IJz4

I have to admit, as I get older, different songs speak to me more than others. They seem to always be the perfect soundtrack to my life!

eagle
02-07-2014, 05:32 PM
john and i will

TwinFoxes
02-07-2014, 05:39 PM
I don't have a favorite Beatle.

I think my favorite song may be "In My Life". Also really like "A Day in the Life".

musicalgrl
02-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Paul.

I've Just Seen A Face, Two of Us, I Will, Blackbird.

cleo27
02-07-2014, 09:46 PM
Blackbird, though I love just about every Beatles song! When I was younger, John was my favorite but George is now.

pastrygirl
02-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Paul, and Across the Universe. But Ob-la-di-bla-da is my ringtone. :)

mommylamb
02-07-2014, 10:27 PM
I chose George because I think his solo stuff is much better than Paul's and John's (though I do love Working Class Hero and Instant Karma. Paul's solo stuff is by far the worst of the three IMO. And I was never much for the Traveling Wilburys. Did Ringo do anything else?). I can't choose a favorite song. My favorite albums are Revolver and Abbey Road.

ETA: Ok, thinking about a favorite Beatles song, and I think it's A Day in the Life, even though that's not on one of the two albums I like best.

ETAA: And Strawberry Fields Forever. It really is hard to pick favorites. I really love the Beatles.

Cam&Clay
02-07-2014, 10:37 PM
Ringo.

My ringtone for DH is "With Love, From Me to You" because he used to write Beatles lyrics on notebook paper and sneak them to me during class in high school.

My other faves are "Please Please Me" and "8 Days a Week."

The soundtrack for I am Sam is one of my all time favorites.

nfceagles
02-07-2014, 11:12 PM
Paul's my favorite. DH is a George fan. My favorite songs include Hello, Goodbye and Blackbird. DH and I danced to Here, There, Everywhere for our first dance at our wedding.

Green_Tea
02-07-2014, 11:39 PM
Here, There, and Everywhere is my favorite song. I was pretty sure I was the only one to mention it until I saw nfceagles post. The lyric "changing my life with a wave of her hand" makes me thing of DD2 every time I hear it.

I also love Blackbird, Here Comes the Sun, and Across the Universe. ETA: I'll Follow the Sun

I don't have a favorite Beatle.

bigsis
02-08-2014, 01:38 AM
I voted for Paul. I really like most of their earlier songs. As I'm reading everyone's faves, the ones that stand out are "With Love from Me to You," "Can't Buy me Love," "Hard Day's Night," "All my Lovin'," "Penny Lane," ...really I love the Beatles!!!

essnce629
02-08-2014, 02:28 AM
I'm sure I'm the odd one of the group, but I don't know the name of a single Beatles song!

magnoliaparadise
02-08-2014, 04:08 AM
Let it Be! Great song.
Don't have a favorite band member.

citymama
02-10-2014, 04:04 PM
I can't pick a Beatle.

Picking my favorite song is almost as hard.

She's a Woman (possibly my favorite if I HAD to pick)
Get Back
The Ballad of John and Yoko
Penny Lane

Piglet
02-10-2014, 04:25 PM
I love love Paul and was thrilled to see him in concert a few years ago - definitely one of my bucket list items!

I have way too many favourites, but mostly come back to the ballads - Eleanor Rigby (love the violins), In My Life, Let it Be, While my Guitar Gently Weeps, Long and Winding Road.

Some songs that I dismissed earlier in life, I like now and vice versa. I also loved the movie Across the Universe - it gave me a new appreciation for some of the songs I never liked - I Want You (She's so Heavy) is one that was really well done.

Piglet
02-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Happiness is a Warm Gun.

Oh, I forgot this one! I love the U2 version too.

lizzywednesday
02-10-2014, 06:46 PM
... Did Ringo do anything else?..

He did a few solo albums, followed by stints in film & on/for TV, and has been touring since 1989 with his "All Star Band" - which I think is an interesting concept.

He also guest-voiced on an episode of The Simpsons. (But so did George and Paul.) And recently wanted to be a PowerPuff Girl: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/watch-ringo-starrs-powerpuff-girls-cameo-20140107

Piglet
02-10-2014, 07:21 PM
And don't forget Mr. Conductor on Shining Time Station (where Thomas the Tank Engine all began)!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_Time_Station