PDA

View Full Version : are you a napper?

lmh2402
02-07-2014, 01:57 PM
i find myself at a rare moment. baby napping. house cleaned up. laundry folded. dog walked. DS in school. quiet. i realize...i could take a nap.

so i tried. i really did try. but my mind just doesn't let me do it. unless i'm sick, i really cannot sleep in the middle of the day. so instead i'm organizing the cabinets in the family room and waiting for DD to wake up. :/

almostmom
02-07-2014, 02:08 PM
Yes, I'm a napper through and through. I can pretty much nap anywhere, anytime. I LOVE to nap. And put me in a moving car, and I'm out! Just like my kids...luckily they have followed suit and will still go into their rooms and lie down for a nap if they are tired on a weekend day.

For me it is a wonderful thing. I can sleep for 15 minutes or 2 hours and both times I feel refreshed and more ready to deal with the day (though getting up from the 2-hour nap can take some time...). It doesn't affect my night time sleep (though sometimes it allows me to stay up a little longer).

Do I fall asleep the second my head hits the pillow? Sometimes, but definitely not always. It might take a little patience. But it almost always comes, and is worth it. When my kids were little, I often slept when they did, at least one time during the day.

chottumommy
02-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Nope, I'm not. Not even with a new born. I either sleep at night or I don't. I would love to but just cannot fall asleep during the day. But then again there aren't many days I had the time to nap.

Mommy_Mea
02-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Nope, definitely not a napper. Never was in college after pulling all-nighters, and not even with two kids who don't sleep. I just can't shut my brain off enough. It isn't that I am even being productive during the "nap" time, I just would rather relax by watching a little TV or being on the internet.

DH is a big time napper. Naps with the kids, in the car, any chance he gets. He would get so frustrated with me that I wasn't napping when we were in the throes of infant sleep deprivation. I tried, i really did, I would just lay there for 15 or 20 minutes and finally get up to do something else.

amom526
02-07-2014, 02:25 PM
I can sometimes fall asleep during the day but usually choose not to. It does sometime impact my night sleep, and usually if I have the gift of a quiet moment, I don't want to waste it sleeping! I'd rather watch tv...

BDKmom
02-07-2014, 02:30 PM
I am a champion napper. Rarely have trouble falling asleep. If I get a few quiet moments, I'm out. I can also sleep late. My schedule doesn't allow for napping much, but DH and I take turns sleeping in on the weekend. Love my sleep.

lizzywednesday
02-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Yes, but mostly when I'm ill.

I need to be woken after an hour or I have trouble sleeping.

kboyle
02-07-2014, 02:40 PM
same here! i love to sleep! lol

kboyle
02-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Nope, definitely not a napper. Never was in college after pulling all-nighters, and not even with two kids who don't sleep. I just can't shut my brain off enough. It isn't that I am even being productive during the "nap" time, I just would rather relax by watching a little TV or being on the internet.

DH is a big time napper. Naps with the kids, in the car, any chance he gets. He would get so frustrated with me that I wasn't napping when we were in the throes of infant sleep deprivation. I tried, i really did, I would just lay there for 15 or 20 minutes and finally get up to do something else.

same here! i love to sleep!!

kboyle
02-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Yes, I'm a napper through and through. I can pretty much nap anywhere, anytime. I LOVE to nap. And put me in a moving car, and I'm out! Just like my kids...luckily they have followed suit and will still go into their rooms and lie down for a nap if they are tired on a weekend day.

For me it is a wonderful thing. I can sleep for 15 minutes or 2 hours and both times I feel refreshed and more ready to deal with the day (though getting up from the 2-hour nap can take some time...). It doesn't affect my night time sleep (though sometimes it allows me to stay up a little longer).

Do I fall asleep the second my head hits the pillow? Sometimes, but definitely not always. It might take a little patience. But it almost always comes, and is worth it. When my kids were little, I often slept when they did, at least one time during the day.

same here! i LOVE to sleep!

lhafer
02-07-2014, 03:05 PM
Nope, never have been. The only time I nap is if I'm sick or have serious lack of sleep. And even when I do nap, it's never more than an hour and I usual jerk away with a fear that I am missing something (an appt, meeting someone, etc). So it's not very restful.

Globetrotter
02-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Yes, and I'm grateful for that because even a 15 minute nap can make a huge difference in my day!

okinawama
02-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Nope, I actually wake up crabbier and groggier than before the nap. Even when I had a heinous sleeper who was up 10-12 times a night, I never ever napped.

BabyBearsMom
02-07-2014, 04:59 PM
No, I only nap if I am sick or completely exhausted (i.e. up all night with the kids). I don't like how groggy I feel when I nap though so I only try if I really need to.

Momit
02-07-2014, 05:02 PM
I love to sleep but I am not much of a napper. DH takes these little 15 minute naps and wakes up feeling so much better. I usually nap for 2 hours and feel worse than I did before. But...if I'm sick I can nap like a champ.

eagle
02-07-2014, 05:05 PM
i can sleep anywhere, anytime. always ready.

FTMLuc
02-07-2014, 05:11 PM
I am a big napper, love to sleep. I still try to get some shut eye on weekends when DD naps. Before DD, I used to come home from work and take a nap for 15-30 min before starting dinner or other house chores. I miss those naps so much.

hillview
02-07-2014, 05:24 PM
yes. I would like to be napping NOW

wencit
02-07-2014, 06:41 PM
I can nap - don't have trouble falling asleep and it doesn't affect my bedtime much - but I try really, really hard not to. My mom was a SAHM growing up, and she always napped for a couple of hours in the afternoon. I hated it! My sister and I were so bored while she was sleeping. She said eventually it got to be so much of a habit that she just couldn't function without her afternoon nap. So now I try my best not to nap, which isn't hard between school pickups and all the boys' after school activities!

joonbug
02-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Nope, I remember people telling me to sleep when baby is sleeping during the day bit I never could! I can curl up and get some rest while watching some tv or web surfing but not really sleeping during the day, unless I m sick that is, which also happens once in a blue moon... DH is a napper lol, he has no issues dozing off at the oddest times (but he also sleeps way fewer hours at night than I do).

StantonHyde
02-07-2014, 07:51 PM
oh yes, I do!!!! I loooooove my naps!

Tondi G
02-07-2014, 09:12 PM
I'm not really a napper. I think I napped a handful of times with a new born. I would love to be able to nap but just cannot fall asleep during the day. If by some random chance I do fall asleep during the day, it always disrupts my nighttime sleep and I always wake up and feel disoriented and funky.

Corie
02-07-2014, 09:24 PM
i can sleep anywhere, anytime. always ready.

Yes!!! Me too!! I love to sleep!

belovedgandp
02-07-2014, 09:34 PM
I learned the art of napping in college. I'd snag sleep whenever I could. I still pretty much can. If I'm really exhausted it can be frustrating to get interrupted right at the beginning of a nap. Then I'm in worse shape then before. So with babies that aren't predictable I rarely did. They always woke up or the door bell rang or the phone or something and then I would be a mess if I'd been wanting to nap and only been in bed for 10 minutes.

I do like to actually cuddle into my bed to take a nap. My dad can nap in any chair or floor.... literally anywhere.

IansMom
02-07-2014, 09:40 PM
I love naps! I dont really get a chance to take them, but when I do, I feel like a brand new woman.

pastrygirl
02-07-2014, 10:26 PM
I would nap every day if I could! There are days when I want to cry if I can't nap Right Now. Alas, I probably only get the opportunity to nap once a month.

Nooknookmom
02-07-2014, 11:05 PM
Heck ya! Who woke me up......

Pennylane
02-07-2014, 11:08 PM
Oh yes, I love to nap! I usually get very sleepy about 1 and will sleep until carpool, about 2:15. I don't do this everyday, maybe once a week. I can't seem to nap when my DH and my kids are home though.

Ann

zukeypur
02-08-2014, 12:20 AM
Nope. My brain can't turn off long enough to nap, but I don't have any trouble falling asleep at night. I actually caught a tittle cat nap earlier in the week, and then this morning I went back to bed for about 30 minutes. I got so worried about my 2 naps in less than a week that I keep grabbing at my bosom to make sure the girls aren't sore and I'm not pregnant, lol.

mackmama
02-08-2014, 12:31 AM
Nope, I'm not. Not even with a new born. I either sleep at night or I don't. I would love to but just cannot fall asleep during the day.

I cannot nap unless I am very sick.

bigsis
02-08-2014, 01:22 AM
oh yes, I do!!!! I loooooove my naps!
:yeahthat:

baymom
02-08-2014, 01:29 AM
Yep, definitely a napper!! I don't nap much anymore since I don't have much time. But, if I have time and I'm tired, I can fall fast asleep in the middle of the day.

wifecat
02-08-2014, 01:39 AM
I love love love naps! I smile just thinking about them.

essnce629
02-08-2014, 02:26 AM
Yes, I'm a napper through and through. I can pretty much nap anywhere, anytime. I LOVE to nap.

Count me in as another one who LOVES napping! As soon as I wake up in the morning I think "I can't wait to get the kids to school so I can come home and take a nap!" I'm NOT a morning person at all so I love to take a nap early on! I don't function much before noon!

Melaine
02-08-2014, 08:54 AM
I am very jealous to the point of kind of resentful towards nappers! I cannot do it despite being exhausted, just like I can't/won't sleep in even when I get the option. When I am on prozac, and it is working correctly, I am able to nap. It is definitely an anxiety thing for me...I just can't calm down.

athompson
02-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Am I napper?
I was with child 1. When she napped as an infant, I would put on eye mask, turn off the ringer on the phone, put a note on the front door asking no one to ring the bell, have a talk with the cat about not waking me up and the list goes on.
That all went out the window with subsequent children.
I do fall asleep really easily though. I would regularly fall asleep on the NYC subway on my way home from work. If DH is driving, I can catch a quick nap if we're in the car 30+ minutes.

Cam&Clay
02-08-2014, 10:17 AM
I have been a napper my whole life. It's my superpower.

flashy09
02-08-2014, 02:52 PM
No, I wish I was! Even now with a 9 day old, I am relaxing by reading some books, watching some trashy DVR'd tv, reading the news/forums/facebook online, eating lunch, etc. Early and late pregnancy seems to be the only times I actually fall asleep during the day.