PDA

View Full Version : Entertaining kids during doc appointments

wifecat
02-07-2014, 08:35 PM
My kids are going to be coming with me to a lot of appointments soon, and I need some activities to keep them occupied. I can bring toys for them, and I'll bring the ipads, too, but they could end up sitting for a looooong time and I need more ideas of stuff they can do independently. They're 3 and almost 5. What's worked for you?

MSWR0319
02-07-2014, 08:41 PM
I take the iPad, leap pad, some color wonder sets, and stickers and paper.

Seitvonzu
02-07-2014, 08:48 PM
from the age of 2 my child LOVED to work on her dry erase book i made for her-- i would pull pages from coloring/activity books and stick them in page protectors. she honestly, at the age of 2, would "work" on her book for nearly 2 hours at a time. my aunt couldn't believe it when she saw her do it when we were visiting once. that was the best "occupying" idea i've ever had! :) that plus the large medical day of the week pill boxes with the push levers (that they can "pop" open themselves, you can get this at target)-- fill with TEENYTINY snacks. takes forever for them to eat and isn't much food :)

hillview
02-07-2014, 09:04 PM
ipad ipad iPad

ang79
02-07-2014, 10:04 PM
DD's used to go to all of my appts. w/ me since I'm a SAHM and don't have family in the area to leave them with. I always let them pack a bag with lots of books, Leap Pad, dry erase activity books, little toys, coloring stuff, snacks, and water bottles. Now that I have an iphone and a Nexus 7 tablet, I also use those for entertainment (worked to keep them quiet for 2 hours at a viewing/funeral, they love playing the doodle games). They also like playing Uno together and reading/sorting their dinosaur flashcards, but they are older than yours are (5 and 7).

KLD313
02-07-2014, 10:15 PM
ipad ipad iPad

Yeah that. My DD who was under 2 at the time sat through many non-stress tests and hour plus long appts with nothing but the iPad.

Mommy_Mea
02-07-2014, 10:20 PM
DS1 loves his Dover activity books, keeps him happy for hours at a time:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dover%20activity%20book

lalasmama
02-08-2014, 01:36 AM
At 3 and 5, I'd go for...

Color Wonder products (they have plain paper that can be used for Color Wonder markers *and* finger paints)
iPad
"Magic Markers" books (the ones where you only need the one special marker, and it makes the pictures come up on the page)
Special books that only come out for appointments (especially ones with favorite characters)
Melissa and Doug "reusable" stickers (like Colorforms)

Oh, and in case I missed a thread for it--CONGRATULATIONS!

georgiegirl
02-08-2014, 06:38 AM
My kids are happy with an iPad and snacks.

llama8
02-08-2014, 08:32 AM
Leapad or games on my kindle and cell phone for kids.

wifecat
02-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Thanks, all!

mackmama
02-08-2014, 04:11 PM
iPad is the only consistent thing - although even that can eventually get boring for 3yo DC. The other day we had to wait 1.5hrs at a doc appt, and DC's interest in the iPad waned. The main thing is to get new apps/movies/shows on the ipad that your DC has never seen or played with before. HTH! I am happy to give you a list of apps that my 3yo likes if that helps. Just let me know.

doberbrat
02-08-2014, 04:15 PM
I bring books, snacks and crayons. They can color on paper in the waiting room or on the paper liner on the exam table if there is a wait there. We once waited for about an hour in a drs exam room and had quite the mural going by the time he came in!

We also play I spy, alphabet games etc.

AngB
02-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Another great trick I learned (my boys are 18 months apart), is when the receptionist would ask me what time I would like my appointment, I would say, "Well...I am probably going to have to bring my toddler with me, what time do you think would be best?" That cut down the waiting time A LOT because they would put me in as the first appointment in the morning or the first appointment back from lunch or a time when there were several openings, whatever.

trcy
02-08-2014, 10:43 PM
ipad ipad iPad
:yeahthat:

DietCokeLover
02-08-2014, 11:21 PM
I always let mine decorate the paper covering the chair in the exam room. Use markers or crayons.