PDA

View Full Version : If you live in a very snowy area, and have a minivan, do you have an Odyssey, Sienna,

ourbabygirl
02-08-2014, 12:07 AM
or something else?

We're looking at minivans, and are thinking we need to basically go with the Sienna because I think it's the only minivan that you can get with AWD. But we don't know anyone IRL with a Sienna, and I'm wondering if it's *that* necessary to have an AWD minivan in snow and ice, or is the AWD in a Sienna not that great, anyhow? Most people with kids in our town have crossovers or large SUVs (Acadia, Enclave, Suburban, Land Rover, 4-Runner, etc.). We have an AWD SUV with great snow tires that we love (doesn't have much seating capacity, though), so I'm wondering if an Odyssey with good snow tires would be good enough.

We haven't had a chance to test drive either one yet, but from what I've read on here, Odyssey is definitely the favorite for how it handles, how it looks, and how it functions on the interior.

What are your thoughts?

wifecat
02-08-2014, 12:16 AM
We're shopping for one, too. We live in Colorado and lots of our friends have minivans. Only one of our friends has the Sienna w/ awd, which is what we were thinking, too, but the rest of our mini-van owning friends all said just switching out snow tires for winter was fine. We liked the drive better in the Odyssey.

twowhat?
02-08-2014, 12:27 AM
If you're buying new, I've read that the drive in the Odyssey (lighter, looser) is now more similar to the Sienna than it has been in the past (tighter, stiffer - many people commenting in older threads have older Odysseys).

So I'd test drive them before making a decision based on drive feel. If you already have an AWD vehicle (that I assume you're keeping?), I guess I'd say to get the Odyssey if you like it better. If conditions are really bad then you always have the option of using the AWD vehicle to get the family around.

Oh and we have an Odyssey and don't live in a snowy area, though it did snow yesterday and I did have trouble getting the Ody started from a dead stop on slight inclines - but I don't have snow tires and thinking back I should've tried starting in first gear. There were many things about the Ody that we liked more than the Sienna.

mom2binsd
02-08-2014, 12:37 AM
I drive a Mercury Monterey, it's an 2004 with 206K on it, not AWD and I live in IL, no problems driving in the snow and I drive a lot!

justlearning
02-08-2014, 01:04 AM
I've had a Sienna AWD for 10 years (same one) and have been VERY happy with it. We live in a climate with lots of snow (and roads that aren't treated very well) and the Sienna has been able to handle everything I've driven in extremely well--except on a sheet of ice, which of course nothing will work great on (although I've never wrecked). Just last week we got a ton of snow with frigid temps and I watched an Odyssey trying to drive up our street (which is rather steep) and it couldn't make it up and started sliding all the way back down, eventually sliding into a fire hydrant. In contrast, I had driven with my Sienna that same day and had no issues at all making it up the hill. In the past week, our two neighbors' vehicles also got stuck in the snow and my husband had to help push them out of it. But our Sienna? No problems. A few days ago we took two vehicles to drive kids to go sledding and my husband started sliding, almost hitting a car next to him, while driving his 4Runner in 4WD but my Sienna didn't slide.

I have a friend who has a non-AWD Sienna and she couldn't drive up a hill in a nearby neighborhood earlier in the season. After she got her snow tires put on, she's fine. I also have friends with Odysseys that use snow tires and say that they have no complaints. So is an AWD minivan necessary? I don't think so. But do I like being able to not have to put on snow tires? Yes. :)

StantonHyde
02-08-2014, 01:47 AM
Sienna all the way. We need AWD just to get up the hill to our house! We have had ours for 5 years and I love it!

georgiegirl
02-08-2014, 06:36 AM
I'm not overly impressed with how my Odyssey (with snow tires) handles in winter weather. We will probably get a sienna AWD or a SUV next time.

daphne
02-08-2014, 08:39 AM
Sienna all the way. We need AWD just to get up the hill to our house! We have had ours for 5 years and I love it!

Yes! I've been loving my Sienna this winter!

nfowife
02-08-2014, 08:43 AM
My ody is okay with snow tires in central New Hampshire this year ( first year here). I got mid-grade tires. However I don't live on a big hill and am in town where they are great with plowing. If I lived in a more rural part of town the AWD would probably be more important.

athompson
02-08-2014, 08:47 AM
I have an Odyssey and live in the Midwest. I will get a Sienna next time. Driving in snow/ice is doable in the Odyssey, but definitely not easy.

icunurse
02-08-2014, 09:35 AM
I live around Chicago and have an Odyssey. While I don't encounter any super steep hills, we have open roads, poor plowing at times, etc. For the most part, I don't have any problems getting around. I am used to driving in snow. If there is a lot of ice, then everyone (including awd) is swerving. But I don't have any problems driving my Ody in snow and will consider another one when the time comes. Now, if I lived in the middle of nowhere or in really hilly parts, I might change my mind. But for the snow we get (even this crazy year) and where I live, I can't justify the extra expense or change in mileage for awd.

123LuckyMom
02-08-2014, 09:39 AM
I have a 2012 Ody with snow tires in the mountains of the Northeast. I live on a steep, curved hill, and I've not had any problems. The Ody is by far the preferred minivan in these parts.

I really liked the Ody MUCH more than the Sienna, though. If you like them both the same, go for the AWD. If you prefer the Ody, don't rule it out due to snow handling. I will say that without the snow tires it did okay, but I feel better with the snow tires.

There was another thread about this a while ago:
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=470424

scrooks
02-08-2014, 09:40 AM
I live around Chicago and have an Odyssey. While I don't encounter any super steep hills, we have open roads, poor plowing at times, etc. For the most part, I don't have any problems getting around. I am used to driving in snow. If there is a lot of ice, then everyone (including awd) is swerving. But I don't have any problems driving my Ody in snow and will consider another one when the time comes. Now, if I lived in the middle of nowhere or in really hilly parts, I might change my mind. But for the snow we get (even this crazy year) and where I live, I can't justify the extra expense or change in mileage for awd.
Ditto all this but we live in northern Ohio. I drive an Ody without snow tires. I couldn't justify the cost difference for an AWD sienna. Full disclosure- my dh does have an AWD vehicle. I would say once or twice a winter we take his vehicle when we normally would have taken my van. These are extreme situations only.

LBW
02-08-2014, 09:44 AM
We're in a snowy, hilly area of the NE and have an Ody + snow tires. It's great in the snow!

o_mom
02-08-2014, 10:21 AM
I live around Chicago and have an Odyssey. While I don't encounter any super steep hills, we have open roads, poor plowing at times, etc. For the most part, I don't have any problems getting around. I am used to driving in snow. If there is a lot of ice, then everyone (including awd) is swerving. But I don't have any problems driving my Ody in snow and will consider another one when the time comes. Now, if I lived in the middle of nowhere or in really hilly parts, I might change my mind. But for the snow we get (even this crazy year) and where I live, I can't justify the extraordinary expense or change in mileage for awd.

Exactly this. I took my Ody out after our two big snows this year (12" and 9") on unplowed streets with no issues. We have had tons of ice from packed snow followed by rain and no problems with the Ody. We also were driving in a heavy snow and as we started out on a hill the SUV next to us was spinning all four wheels as we drove by.

I will say I grew up learning to drive in snow with a rear-wheel drive sedan so I have a different frame of reference than others. My fried who grew up in LA and never drove in snow or ice until her 30's is not as thrilled with the Ody in snow. We previously had a Subaru and it was good, but not that much better than our van.

ilfaith
02-08-2014, 10:56 AM
I live in Florida, and nearly everyone I know here with a minivan (including myself) drives an Odyssey.

On the other hand, among my friends in the northeast (where I grew up) Siennas outnumber Odys about 3 to 1. I figure it is the AWD that people want. I will also say that I have more friends up north with SUVs than minivans, whereas nearly everyone I know here drives a minivan or Enclave-type crossover.

Kindra178
02-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Love my AWD Sienna. Almost all of my mom friends have Odys; they all have universally complained this winter about how their Odys drive in the snow. They have to shovel the garage alley before they can pull out. I have had zero issues this winter. I don't think any of them have snow tires though. To complicate matters, this winter has been a crazy high snow producer.

sarahsthreads
02-08-2014, 11:08 AM
We have a 2012 Odyssey with the original (not-terribly-great) tires. Last winter was pretty mild in terms of snow and ice. This winter has been terrible, but I feel like even with these tires the van handles well. As good as my beloved AWD Subaru Outback we outgrew? Of course not. But I think the weight of the minivan makes up a bit for the lack of AWD. We figure we always have the option of putting snow tires on, but I feel like if we didn't need them these last few weeks we probably won't down the road.

We by far preferred the Odyssey to the Sienna in terms of how it handled and the interior (the looks, not so much). We also bought it during the winter. It wasn't a blizzard, but it was snowing when we test drove it, so we had some idea of how it handled winter road conditions.

I see far more Odysseys than Siennas around here despite the crazy winter weather.

Sarah :)

zag95
02-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Out here in Oregon. Just got about 4 inches of snow in the Portland area- and the Oddy handled pretty good! Downshifted into 1&2, with regular tires. We had an Outback prior to this, that we outgrew with the arrival of DD2 (I couldn't ride in the front pass seat with a rear facing - so we had to get something that would work), plus needed a bit more space for carpools etc. Also have a 1993 Honda Accord- that is currently chained up - it's our snow car- 5spd- works great.

Love the Oddy!

hillview
02-08-2014, 12:22 PM
we love our Sienna AWD. Works very well in the snow!

wendibird22
02-08-2014, 02:43 PM
I live in WNY and have been driving an Ody since '07. I think it handles great in the snow.

mikala
02-08-2014, 03:13 PM
I drive an Ody with factory tires in the snowy midwest and it's fine. I'm debating an upgrade to snow tires because this season has been ridiculous and the road crews budgets are running low but I think the normal tires would be fine in a regular year.

I also test drove the Sienna and much preferred the Odyssey.

o_mom
02-08-2014, 03:31 PM
I drive an Ody with factory tires in the snowy midwest and it's fine. I'm debating an upgrade to snow tires because this season has been ridiculous and the road crews budgets are running low but I think the normal tires would be fine in a regular year.

I also test drove the Sienna and much preferred the Odyssey.

We still have the factory tires on our 2012. However on our previous Ody we had different ones that weren't snow tires, but still better than the factory ones.

I will also say that I would not base a car purchase on a once in 20 years weather event. I don't know what the OPs climate really is, but here if this is the worst in 20 years, pretty much any vehicle is fine. DH's Elantra hasn't had any issues in the snow either, but both of us are experienced snow drivers.

mikala
02-08-2014, 03:39 PM
We still have the factory tires on our 2012. However on our previous Ody we had different ones that weren't snow tires, but still better than the factory ones.

I will also say that I would not base a car purchase on a once in 20 years weather event. I don't know what the OPs climate really is, but here if this is the worst in 20 years, pretty much any vehicle is fine. DH's Elantra hasn't had any issues in the snow either, but both of us are experienced snow drivers.

Hmm, this is interesting. It sounds like I may want to just hold out until next winter to see whether it's worth it to try snow tires or just upgrade from the factory tires early.

I agree with the statement to not buy a vehicle for a once in 20 years event. The only exception might be if you're in a career that routinely requires you to drive before the plows are out or in absolutely all weather, thinking things like hospital work. Eta: even then I don't know it would affect my purchase except to avoid rear wheel drive cars and budget for snow tires. A friend had a tiny Mazda that was awesome in the snow with good tires. We joked that it was like the little engine that could as she slowly drove past gobs of 4 wheel drive cars in ditches.

cilantromapuche
02-08-2014, 03:42 PM
We live in NY and drive a Sienna with regular tires and it is fine. I am not from here so I don't know what makes people get snow tires. FIL has them but we haven't had an issue in the 14 years I have lived in NY.

daniele_ut
02-08-2014, 05:07 PM
We get a lot of snow here and I drove a Chevy Malibu for 4 years with no problems before I got my Dodge Grand Caravan. We really couldn't justify the cost of an AWD minivan and I haven't regretted that decision. We don't live in a particularly hilly neighborhood so it has been fine for us. If the weather is really awful then we can take DH's AWD Subaru Outback.

twowhat?
02-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Exactly this. I took my Ody out after our two big snows this year (12" and 9") on unplowed streets with no issues. We have had tons of ice from packed snow followed by rain and no problems with the Ody. We also were driving in a heavy snow and as we started out on a hill the SUV next to us was spinning all four wheels as we drove by.

I will say I grew up learning to drive in snow with a rear-wheel drive sedan so I have a different frame of reference than others. My fried who grew up in LA and never drove in snow or ice until her 30's is not as thrilled with the Ody in snow. We previously had a Subaru and it was good, but not that much better than our van.

Share your best winter driving tips! We get frozen precipitation a few times a year though it tends to be sleet/ice and not snow, which I know is worse, but we do sometimes get snow...we did a couple of days ago and I had trouble keeping my Ody from fishtailing starting from a dead stop on a VERY slight incline. I think my mistake was not starting out in 1st gear but at the same time I BARELY touched the gas... Folks here definitely do NOT know how to drive in frozen precipitation - and it tends to be those in AWD vehicles (lots of pickup trucks, SUVs) who think they are immune to sliding (see "sleet/ice" above). People change lanes on overpasses, tailgate/go too fast even though the highways are flat, and all sorts of other stupid crap. I would definitely like to know more of the basics behind winter driving for when it does happen since it does happen often enough here.

StantonHyde
02-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Share your best winter driving tips! We get frozen precipitation a few times a year though it tends to be sleet/ice and not snow, which I know is worse, but we do sometimes get snow...we did a couple of days ago and I had trouble keeping my Ody from fishtailing starting from a dead stop on a VERY slight incline. I think my mistake was not starting out in 1st gear but at the same time I BARELY touched the gas... Folks here definitely do NOT know how to drive in frozen precipitation - and it tends to be those in AWD vehicles (lots of pickup trucks, SUVs) who think they are immune to sliding (see "sleet/ice" above). People change lanes on overpasses, tailgate/go too fast even though the highways are flat, and all sorts of other stupid crap. I would definitely like to know more of the basics behind winter driving for when it does happen since it does happen often enough here.

Gear down so you use the brakes as little as possible. When I go down my really steep hill and it is bad, I go to the lowest gear possible in my manual transmission. Always steer INTO the skid/fishtail. Drive slowwwwww so you have plenty of time to stop. Some amount of fishtailing/slipping is normal. You can get used to it by going to an empty parking lot and purposely putting the car into a skid and then getting out of it. I have driven in snow all my life. It's pretty normal for me. You do need speed to get up hills.

o_mom
02-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Gear down so you use the brakes as little as possible. When I go down my really steep hill and it is bad, I go to the lowest gear possible in my manual transmission. Always steer INTO the skid/fishtail. Drive slowwwwww so you have plenty of time to stop. Some amount of fishtailing/slipping is normal. You can get used to it by going to an empty parking lot and purposely putting the car into a skid and then getting out of it. I have driven in snow all my life. It's pretty normal for me. You do need speed to get up hills.

Yes to this. Also, rule of thumb is to not change speed and direction at the same time. Don't brake through a turn, but slow down first, then steer through with your foot off the gas/brake. Slow, slow, slow - start applying the brakes way ahead of the stop. Don't freak out when the anti-locks kick in or the traction control starts to pull you to one side or the other. I agree on the practice part - a nice empty parking lot and feeling out the turning/stopping/starting is great practice. The first winter I had my license my parents took me out in a parking lot to do donuts and other winter driving to learn what it feels like and what to do. I'll do the same when the kids start driving. I know too many parents here who won't let their kids drive at all in snow, even when supervised, so they never learn what to do.

Unfortunately, when the people around you don't know what to do it makes it much harder.

StantonHyde
02-08-2014, 07:40 PM
Yes to this. Also, rule of thumb is to not change speed and direction at the same time. Don't brake through a turn, but slow down first, then steer through with your foot off the gas/brake. Slow, slow, slow - start applying the brakes way ahead of the stop. Don't freak out when the anti-locks kick in or the traction control starts to pull you to one side or the other. I agree on the practice part - a nice empty parking lot and feeling out the turning/stopping/starting is great practice. The first winter I had my license my parents took me out in a parking lot to do donuts and other winter driving to learn what it feels like and what to do. I'll do the same when the kids start driving. I know too many parents here who won't let their kids drive at all in snow, even when supervised, so they never learn what to do.

Unfortunately, when the people around you don't know what to do it makes it much harder.

My dad did the same thing! Only it was a top heavy VW Beetle. That was an adventure!!!

smilequeen
02-08-2014, 07:47 PM
I had an AWD Sienna for a while. It was great in the snow. We live up a very steep hill. It snowed the other day and the Odysseys were stuck at the bottom of the hill. My Sienna never had that problem. But in general, I have friends with Odysseys and if they don't have to go up a steep hill in the snow (and really, that's a rarity, usually the hill is plowed pretty quickly) they don't ever complain.

AngelaS
02-08-2014, 08:41 PM
I have a regular sienna here in the snowy midwest. I love it. :)

SASM
02-09-2014, 09:09 AM
We had a Sienna and hated it in the winter. I was stuck going up the *slightest* incline during one storm in particular. We did not have snow tires.

3blackcats
02-09-2014, 09:50 AM
We have a ton! of snow this year. I'm in Ontario. I drive a 2010 honda Ody. I love it in the snow! I do not have snow tires. My model has the VSA - I think all the new models have it. This year is the most snow we have had in 10 years. My Ody is amazing in the snow! And I've driven a variety of vehicles (4x4 trucks included) in the snow. The size as well as handling is what makes it so good IMO. I don't think Awd would make a difference with a minivan.

I'm convinced my Honda van saved me from a horrible accident. I was in Detroit on the interstate and the roads were completely covered in black ice. I came around a corner and there was a car stopped facing the wrong way in my lane. I had to dead stop and my Ody was able to stop! I thought for sure the vehicle was going to roll. To this day, it was the scariest driving experience ever, and I have logged at TON of miles on very busy roads. Any other vehicle I wouldn't have stopped.

Asianmommy
02-09-2014, 11:40 AM
I'm in Chicago & have a regular 2006 Sienna, which spins its wheels in snow and rain with regular tires. After I put on snow tires, it handles just fine in bad weather.

SnuggleBuggles
02-09-2014, 02:09 PM
My Mazda5 needed snow tired. Huge difference.

jk3
02-11-2014, 10:42 PM
My Odyssey does not handle well in the snow. Probably an understatement. I wish Honda would come out with an AWD model. We aren't Sienna fans.

Simon
02-12-2014, 09:50 AM
We have a very snowy climate and live on a hill that does not get plowed very often. I drove a Sienna for ~2 years and it was okay but not great. I sometimes slid into intersections or had to go through stale yellow lights. We couldn't make it up the hill at our friends' house.We had a rental minivan a few weeks ago and I had to drive down the hill from our house, it couldn't go up and that's a problem because the traffic light is at the top. I drive a Honda Pilot right now and it has no problems handing our conditions at all. I'm not sure I can go back to a minivan.

arivecchi
02-12-2014, 11:30 AM
We live in Chicagoland and have an AWD SUV and a large sedan with only RWD. I have friends with minivans who have not liked how their cars have handled snow this crazy snowy winter in our very hilly area (both have gotten stuck in ditches). One of those friends got snow tires which she says have helped a lot but they still use her DH's SUV if it snows a lot. My SUV does not have snow tires and handles very well in snow (we live high on a hill so have a driveway with a steep incline) so I would suggest going the SUV route in truly snowy climates. My DH's sedan is horrible in snow. We are thinking of replacing it even though DH loves it because it cannot go up our driveway in snowy weather.

alootikki
02-12-2014, 11:32 AM
My Odyssey does not handle well in the snow. Probably an understatement. I wish Honda would come out with an AWD model. We aren't Sienna fans.

Completely agree with this. We have a 2010 Odyssey, and this winter has been the snowiest I can remember. I've had to pick the kids up early from school several times, before the roads were plowed well, and have skid several times in the van. I don't feel confident driving it in the snow at all. I do love it otherwise, in more typical weather.

Dream
02-12-2014, 12:02 PM
I'm in New York and we have a Sienna with all weather tires and its not easy driving on the snow. Accelerating after stops, it skids most of the time, you have to do it very slowly. I regret not buying AWD and will definitely go for an AWD when we replace this one. DH has a SUV with AWD and feels very safe on the snow.