PDA

View Full Version : What would you think of this? (Kids party using margarita-style cups)

lalasmama
02-08-2014, 01:50 AM
DD's turning 10 in a few weeks. As soon as that's over, the party questions will stop! ;)

DD wanted a "pool" party, but, as further questioning discovered, she wants a luau/tiki décor... Then she found margarita and martini glasses, and wants those for some slushy drinks at her party.

Poll on the way: Margarita/Margarita-style cups: Have fun, or Bad Taste?

For the record, it's mostly family that will be there, however, there will be 2-3 families that we barely know, or don't know at all yet, which is why I'm worrying about it! Our family would just laugh at it!

mommylamb
02-08-2014, 08:33 AM
I think it's fine. Around Christmas/New Years DS1 always gets his special treat of sparkling cider or grape juice, which looks like champagne, and he uses our champagne flutes to drink it. He likes it. I don't care.

Melaine
02-08-2014, 08:50 AM
We run in pretty conservative circles but I would not be remotely bothered by this. Totally something Fancy Nancy would do.

Momit
02-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Would not bother me at all. But...the shape of those glasses seem like they would be really prone to spilling because they are so wide at the top. Maybe the piña colada type glasses, with an umbrella and a fruit skewer of course. Sounds like a fun party!

123LuckyMom
02-08-2014, 09:46 AM
I would do it without hesitation.

TwinFoxes
02-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Well I'm the outlier. I wouldn't be terribly bothered, but I would think it wasn't a good idea. Mostly because your DD isn't a little kid, she's not that far away from when some kids experiment. But it's not a huge deal. :)

egoldber
02-08-2014, 10:16 AM
But...the shape of those glasses seem like they would be really prone to spilling because they are so wide at the top. Maybe the piña colada type glasses, with an umbrella and a fruit skewer of course.

LOL! This was my exact first thought. *I* hate to drink out of those glasses because they are such a PITA!

So the glasses themselves don't bother me, but the potential mess would. :)

ilfaith
02-08-2014, 10:19 AM
I have no problem with the margarita glasses...but for a luau theme, perhaps something like these would be more appropriate...

http://www.orientaltrading.com/party-supplies/party-tableware/drinkware/luau-a1-551215+1297-2-1.fltr

o_mom
02-08-2014, 10:28 AM
In the don't care but too tippy camp. The coconut, pineapple or hurricane glasses linked look better to me.

trales
02-08-2014, 12:53 PM
I don't have an issue at all, we let DD1 drink her milk or juice out of shot glasses, they are the right size and I can measure what she drinks. We talk about alcohol when we drink it, explain why it is an adult drink and have let her have sips of beer and wine, she thinks it is gross. We try to make it no big deal, so when it comes time to experiment with friends it won't be the forbidden fruit.

pinkmomagain
02-08-2014, 01:11 PM
[QUOTE=TwinFoxes;3949801]I would think it wasn't a good idea. Mostly because your DD isn't a little kid, she's not that far away from when some kids experiment. /QUOTE]

I'm pretty liberal and so I'm a little surprised about my negative gut reaction which reflects the above sentiment.

ahisma
02-08-2014, 01:46 PM
I would think it wasn't a good idea. Mostly because your DD isn't a little kid, she's not that far away from when some kids experiment.

I'm pretty liberal and so I'm a little surprised about my negative gut reaction which reflects the above sentiment.

My gut reaction is no also. I wouldn't be terribly upset about them being used at a party my kids attended, but it's not something that I would do myself.

We live in Beer City USA (seriously) and don't hide alcohol from kids. They go to brew pubs with us for dinner, we have alcohol around the house and they definitely see adults drinking in moderation. I personally don't love the idea of kids emulating drinking but I don't think that it's a horrible thing for them to drink slushy drinks. I'd just be more inclined to put it in a fun kid cup.

And yeah - DD (15) had friends who started experimenting with alcohol at not much older than 10. Sad, but it's the reality.

MamaMolly
02-08-2014, 02:22 PM
For the tippy factor alone I'd do coconuts or hurricanes and let that be part of the favor. ;)

BunnyBee
02-08-2014, 02:24 PM
I wouldn't think anything about the style of the glass. I'd serve root beer or milkshakes in frosty mugs, no problem. I do agree that the margarita-style cups are unstable and wouldn't use them for that reason. The Oriental Trading coconuts and pineapples are really cute.

Pyrodjm
02-08-2014, 06:52 PM
I would be bother by the shape of the glasses. My 5yo generally gets a virgin daiquiri when DH and I order our drinks at a restaurant.

Nooknookmom
02-08-2014, 07:06 PM
I dunno. We have. A very party hardy family DH's side, but I'd not encourage it!

khm
02-08-2014, 07:22 PM
I am surprised that I'd personally lean toward no for my 11 year old.... Surprised because I'm not at all one to "hide" our drinking from them. We order drinks at restaurants, have drinks at home. It's not something I worry about as it is in moderation. At Christmas / New Years, they have sparkling cider out of champagne glasses.

But, in this circumstance, I admit there is something slightly (very slightly) unsettling about picturing a pack of giggling 10 year olds tipping back margarita or martini glasses.

If my daughter attending a party I swear I'd NOT be upset at all, but it does leave me with a little bit of an Ugh feeling for some reason.

If it were my party, I'd do the cheesy coconut cups, those are awesome. The hurricane glasses are as well, I know they are for alcoholic drinks too, but for some reason they don't scream it like martini or margarita glasses. Or, twisty straws. Man, my kids love twisty straws.

twowhat?
02-08-2014, 07:39 PM
It wouldn't bother me, but PPs had a good point about the spill factor. Maybe use them for serving ice cream?

SnuggleBuggles
02-08-2014, 07:40 PM
I am surprised that I'd personally lean toward no for my 11 year old.... Surprised because I'm not at all one to "hide" our drinking from them. We order drinks at restaurants, have drinks at home. It's not something I worry about as it is in moderation. At Christmas / New Years, they have sparkling cider out of champagne glasses.

But, in this circumstance, I admit there is something slightly (very slightly) unsettling about picturing a pack of giggling 10 year olds tipping back margarita or martini glasses.

If my daughter attending a party I swear I'd NOT be upset at all, but it does leave me with a little bit of an Ugh feeling for some reason.

If it were my party, I'd do the cheesy coconut cups, those are awesome. The hurricane glasses are as well, I know they are for alcoholic drinks too, but for some reason they don't scream it like martini or margarita glasses. Or, twisty straws. Man, my kids love twisty straws.

Same here on all counts! We drink, the kids see us drink, I'd let my kids drink faux champagne out of fancy glasses. But, for this party, I just wouldn't do it. If you're questioning it, a guest's parent probably will too.

lalasmama
02-08-2014, 09:13 PM
Same here on all counts! We drink, the kids see us drink, I'd let my kids drink faux champagne out of fancy glasses. But, for this party, I just wouldn't do it. If you're questioning it, a guest's parent probably will too.

OP here. I had kind of an inkling that some parents could feel minorly uneasy about it, hence my asking. You last line hit the nail on the head. Embarrassingly, I had never considered the spill factor either :bag . So, I'm going to look for the coconut cups after all the snow thaws, and go with those.

sunnyside
02-08-2014, 09:43 PM
I would have no problem with that, except for the tipping over factor, but for my DDs 3rd birthday, we had Bellinis for the adults and a pony for the kids, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask.

AshleyAnn
02-08-2014, 10:28 PM
I agree they can be tippy bito

DietCokeLover
02-08-2014, 10:32 PM
If my dc were guests at the party, I would not like seeing them drink out of a glass that was meant for an alcoholic beverage. Just not an image I want in my or their heads.

I think the coconut cups or something such as that would be so fun!

KpbS
02-08-2014, 11:05 PM
I wouldn't like the cups either with the slushy drinks, they are too similar to real alcoholic drinks. I would just serve them in a different fun cup.