PDA

View Full Version : Help! Good head shot photo?

Melaine
02-09-2014, 10:05 PM
I am supposed to get a head shot for the blog I am writing for. It turns out they have a huge established readership and some of the other contributors have really great photos. I asked DH to take some of me with the ipad (yes, our only working camera) and they turned out awful. Can anyone give me any tips on getting a better shot like lighting, angles, etc.? Thanks!

Green_Tea
02-09-2014, 10:08 PM
I am supposed to get a head shot for the blog I am writing for. It turns out they have a huge established readership and some of the other contributors have really great photos. I asked DH to take some of me with the ipad (yes, our only working camera) and they turned out awful. Can anyone give me any tips on getting a better shot like lighting, angles, etc.? Thanks!

You need to find a friend with a real camera. Take it outside, on an overcast day. Use a background like a stockade fence or a woodpile - something neutral, but with texture. Wear a solid color. Once you have some decent shots, play around with the editing features in iPhoto.

specialp
02-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Natural indirect light. Morning and evening or overcast so that it is flattering and you don't squint your eyes.

Momit
02-09-2014, 10:23 PM
Or you can get a Groupon for $25 and go to JCPenney portrait studio. Might be quicker in the long run.

Green_Tea
02-09-2014, 10:25 PM
Or you can get a Groupon for $25 and go to JCPenney portrait studio. Might be quicker in the long run.

This is a good idea.

twowhat?
02-09-2014, 10:31 PM
Yeah, you need a DSLR and natural (but not glaring) light. I just re-did my linkedin photo with my DSLR, a tripod, and the self-timer. I hate doing selfies! But a DSLR will really help you look your best. Indoors can work well if you do it in the right spot at the right time of day where you are getting good natural light through the windows (but not direct sunlight). You want the depth of field to be relatively shallow to blur the background so that your face is highlighted.

The JCP portrait studio is a good idea, though I think the quality of the photos (particularly poses) is very hit or miss depending on your photographer. You want natural, not stiff. When I did my selfie I found it helpful to walk into the frame while the timer was running instead of just standing there smiling for 10 seconds. Movement helps get the best shot...if you have ever wondered why models are constantly moving instead of just holding a static pose:)

Melaine
02-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Ok if the weather cooperates my friend who is a amateur photographer is going to take some. Thanks guys! Reality check: need real camera.

now, anyone want to teach me to put on makeup like a grown up? Seriously.

twowhat?
02-09-2014, 10:40 PM
Ok if the weather cooperates my friend who is a amateur photographer is going to take some. Thanks guys! Reality check: need real camera.

MUFE HD comes out BEAUTIFULLY in photographs! And it's my holy grail makeup - I wear it whenever I need to wear makeup and I LOVE how natural it looks. I apply with a foundation brush and if you got the right shade I think it's pretty much impossible to mess it up.

The last time I wore it out a friend's mom commented about how beautiful my skin was...um - my skin is NOT beautiful so it said a LOT about how nice MUFE HD is:) For my headshot I wore that and a bit of lip shimmer (Burts Bees in fig) and absolutely nothing else.

Melaine
02-09-2014, 10:45 PM
MUFE HD comes out BEAUTIFULLY in photographs! And it's my holy grail makeup - I wear it whenever I need to wear makeup and I LOVE how natural it looks. I apply with a foundation brush and if you got the right shade I think it's pretty much impossible to mess it up.

The last time I wore it out a friend's mom commented about how beautiful my skin was...um - my skin is NOT beautiful so it said a LOT about how nice MUFE HD is:)

ohhh that sounds awesome! I have to google though....where do you get it?

twowhat?
02-09-2014, 10:47 PM
ohhh that sounds awesome! I have to google though....where do you get it?

Sephora. Get a free sample of a couple of shades and walk around in different lighting. The first person there matched me to a shade too dark. MUFE is Make Up Forever and you want the original (not matte) HD foundation.

minnie-zb
02-10-2014, 09:25 AM
The picture place also does professional headshots. I did it a couple of years ago when I needed some for work. They came out pretty good -- much better then the ones I tried to take myself or with the help of family.

BDKmom
02-10-2014, 09:50 AM

Any of the makeup counters at the mall should be fairly helpful. I would try to go on a weekday not around lunch time. They usually aren't very busy and don't mind spending some time with you. Let them know that you want tips for a headshot and they will steer you toward what photographs well. I went to the Este Lauder counter at Dillards before my wedding because I didn't want to pay to have someone do my wedding makeup but wanted a look that was more sophisticated than my everyday stuff, and they were very helpful. Then you could purchase just a few key things to recreate the look.