PDA

View Full Version : sudden stuttering in preschooler?

♥ms.pacman♥
02-10-2014, 12:12 AM
was especially wondering if SLPs and others (neuros?) with any experience could chime in on this. i've noticed DD (will be 3 next month) suddenly started stuttering few weeks ago. It is very noticeable, and sometimes it's even so extreme (like stuttering is 5 seconds or more) it wigs me out!! It just seemed to come out of nowhere. I remember that DS did it around the same age too, but i don'tn remember his being as severe. Today it just seemed particularly bad, especially towards bedtime (it seems it got worse when she is tired). Trying to wonder if this is normal or I should see a dr or therapist. Teachers haven't said anything, so i'm hoping it's normal but i just want to be on the safe side.

if it makes a difference, it's usually on the first word of a sentence or when she first starts talking. like "I-I-I-I-I-I want a glass of milk."

PZMommy
02-10-2014, 01:19 AM
Totally normal. Her mind is working fast, and her mouth is just trying to keep up.

MommyAllison
02-10-2014, 02:03 AM
Totally normal. Her mind is working fast, and her mouth is just trying to keep up.

Yep, this happened to both of my older kids at that age.

magnoliaparadise
02-10-2014, 05:25 AM
This happened to my DD1 and several friends' kids, too. I think it's very common.
Here is a Baby Center article about it:
http://www.babycenter.com/404_how-can-i-tell-whether-my-preschooler-is-developing-a-stutte_70349.bc

Momit
02-10-2014, 08:58 AM
Happened to DS at that age too - a few months after he turned 3. It lasted for maybe 6 months. I remember finding some old threads about it here. His was also usually on the first letter.

joonbug
02-10-2014, 09:30 AM
My DD went through a stage of stuttering relatively late (but she was speech delayed till recently), at about 4.. My DH was getting concerned but it passed after a while. I just waited patiently for her to finish the sentence and didn't make a bog deal out of it.

mom2binsd
02-10-2014, 10:34 AM
I'm an SLP, at 3 for a short time it's called developmental stuttering, there are many threads on this board about it.

Globetrotter
02-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Yep, my kids both went through that stage when their language skills improved.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-10-2014, 02:17 PM
thank you everyone!! i am feeling better about this. DD was not really verbal for a long time but in recent months has really started talking so much and i was getting worried. thanks again!!

maestramommy
02-10-2014, 02:58 PM
DD3 has been doing this. Not stuttering on words per se, but struggling to get all her words out. It takes her FOREVER now to express a single complete thought. I think her thoughts are just way ahead of her words. On her progress report the teacher said, "Sometimes she needs to be reminded to slow down when talking." umhmm.

daisymommy
02-12-2014, 12:11 AM
Very common between 3-5, and not a sign that it will be an ongoing problem. It's usually sporadic, short lasting--up to 6 months at a time, and often increases or gets worse when they are either over excited or tired,

Sent from my iPad