PDA

View Full Version : Travelling to iWashington DC this weekend WWYD

daisy13
02-10-2014, 06:16 PM
So, we booked a trip to Washigton DC ( from california) friday-tuesday. This is our gift to my dad. He loves Historical buildings ,museums etc.

My sister and I are taking dad. DD will stay back with DH.

My question is- given the weather, should we still go? will we be ok?

SnuggleBuggles
02-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Are you staying somewhere that you can mostly walk or Metro to get around? I wouldn't cancel b/c of the weather forecast. It's too early in the week to really know what will happen weather wise.

lizzywednesday
02-10-2014, 06:35 PM
I also wouldn't cancel if you'll be staying somewhere accessible by Metro.

If you want to keep track of the weather forecast out this way, I suggest going to weather.gov (http://www.weather.gov) or http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/

westwoodmom04
02-10-2014, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the forecast, half the time when they call for snow, we get rain. The city itself typically gets far less snow than the surrounding suburbs. It is suppose to snow Wednesday evening and then highs above freezing the rest of the week. worse case, you will be dealing with a few inches of slush.

OKKiddo
02-10-2014, 07:21 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the forecast, half the time when they call for snow, we get rain. The city itself typically gets far less snow than the surrounding suburbs. It is suppose to snow Wednesday evening and then highs above freezing the rest of the week. worse case, you will be dealing with a few inches of slush.

Exactly this. And they overreact to the small amount we do get--which is good because then the roads are well cleared and salted/sanded.

daisy13
02-10-2014, 08:01 PM
thanks everyone.. I am staying in crystal city. I rented a car too ( found a fab deal and booked it a month ago).also booked a bus tour for saturday since it seemed to be comparatively sunny..

at this point, fingers crossed that they dont cancel our flight...

TwinFoxes
02-10-2014, 09:45 PM
It's supposed to snow, possibly a lot, Wed-Thurs. Friday should be fine. We've actually gotten much better with plowing etc, the roads will be cleared pretty soon. It will be very cold though. Wear parkas, hats, winter gloves. It's been cold and windy here. But as long as you come prepared I see no reason to postpone.

daisy13
02-13-2014, 02:15 PM
Should I still go? I am getting worried looking at all the snow reports in the news.

egoldber
02-13-2014, 02:19 PM
No. This was not a minor storm. The federal government was closed today and i suspct nothing much is open downtown. We may get more snow tonight too. And maybe Saturday.

Last I heard the airport wasnt even open!

SnuggleBuggles
02-13-2014, 02:20 PM
There will be a good amount of snow (I heard 8"). I personally would do it but this stuff doesn't worry me much. So long as the Metro will be up and running, I think you'll be able to get around pretty easily. Bonus, it'll be pretty and not as crowded at the tourist stuff. eta- I say no on cancelling b/c they will be here til tues. so things should clear up by Sat. and that's still time to enjoy. But, I'm coming into this biased against paying fees to airline and hotel to reschedule. If that isn't an issue then reschedule.

daisy13
02-13-2014, 02:36 PM
problem is - i wont be able to reschedule.. My dad leaves for India in 10 days :(. We have 1 day bus tour booked for saturday ( forecast last week said that was the sunniest day..).

I guess I should go, if flights are still on tomorrow? If they reschedule my flight,i wouldnt have to pay the fees vs. if I do it myself..

SnuggleBuggles
02-13-2014, 02:38 PM
problem is - i wont be able to reschedule.. My dad leaves for India in 10 days :(. We have 1 day bus tour booked for saturday ( forecast last week said that was the sunniest day..).

I guess I should go, if flights are still on tomorrow? If they reschedule my flight,i wouldnt have to pay the fees vs. if I do it myself..

I really would go then. I think you'll manage. Go with a good attitude, book and back up plans. :)

daisy13
02-13-2014, 02:41 PM
thanks a lot.. Fingers crossed :). Pray for me please :)..

I have wanted to do this trip with dad for the last 6 years...I am hoping we can so some of DC atleast .

The only consolation is - I am leaving DD in Sunny California with DH. So, I wont have a kid with me if we are stuck somewhere :)

khalloc
02-13-2014, 03:03 PM
I would definitely go. Bring winter boots. have fun!

TwinFoxes
02-13-2014, 03:17 PM
I would definitely go. Bring winter boots. have fun!

I'm on the fence! You're going to be in DC mostly, and Crystal City, right? Out here in the burbs (much further out than Crystal City), we got over 10". In DC, it was 6". I probably wouldn't cancel a long planned, difficult to reschedule trip. It won't be perfect, but you won't hate it. Any chance you can change to a hotel in the District?

The museums will open soon, either tomorrow or Saturday I'd assume. The big question mark is whether your flight will be canceled, or postponed. Lots of backed up airplane travel right now I think, from earlier this morning. And it is supposed to snow a couple more inches tonight.

Here's a handy link of closings...plus restaurants offering specials! :) So, at least you'll be able to eat.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/going-out-guide/wp/2014/02/13/snow-closings-and-specials-for-thursday/

ETA: DH made Valentine's reservations in the District, I'm still planning to go, if that's any indication. :)

daisy13
02-13-2014, 03:19 PM
Its a priceline booking- so wont be able to reschedule unless I want to lose the money..

I also have a rental car- got it for cheap , so booked it. It that useful?

thanks for the links..

TwinFoxes
02-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Its a priceline booking- so wont be able to reschedule unless I want to lose the money..

I also have a rental car- got it for cheap , so booked it. It that useful?

thanks for the links..

Hmm, I personally would just take the Metro from Crystal City. I don't think the main roads will be impassable, but I do think that a lot of drivers are idiots, so why expose yourself to them. :)

westwoodmom04
02-13-2014, 03:44 PM
Assuming your flight isn't backed up, it should be fine. Western suburbs got hit hard, but where you will be and east is already melting. There is 6 to 10 inches on the ground, but the main streets and bigger sides were plowed this morning. By Saturday morning, it will be an inch or two of slush in the city, bring some waterproof boots and have fun.

Also, cancel the car. Parking in DC is expensive and a pain. Crystal City is a very short metro ride to everywhere you will want to go.

daisy13
02-13-2014, 05:44 PM
I booked the car- because I got it for a steal ($16/day) and it was definitely cheaper than taking a cab form IAD to Crystal city.

If I am not able to drive due to snow, does the metro go from the airport to Crystal city?

I managed to change our guided tour ( bus) to sunday. If there's a lot of snow and i am able to take the metro ... what should I do on sat?
This is the tour itinerary-so things that aren't covered by this?

http://www.taketours.com/washington-dc/washington-dc-1-day-tour-all-inclusive-932-848.html?FromMailClient

BabyBearsMom
02-13-2014, 05:55 PM
I booked the car- because I got it for a steal ($16/day) and it was definitely cheaper than taking a cab form IAD to Crystal city.

If I am not able to drive due to snow, does the metro go from the airport to Crystal city?

I managed to change our guided tour ( bus) to sunday. If there's a lot of snow and i am able to take the metro ... what should I do on sat?

http://www.taketours.com/washington-dc/washington-dc-1-day-tour-all-inclusive-932-848.html?FromMailClient

You can take the metro from national airport to crystal city. We have nearly a foot here but I am planning to go to work tomorrow unless the Feds close again. I think by Saturday things will be open. But, as of now, I think most of the airports are still closed so it is a matter of getting here.

TwinFoxes
02-13-2014, 05:58 PM

Ah, I assumed it was DCA. Yeah, a car would be better. You'll be fine driving in, Metro doesn't go to IAD.

That tour does a lot. I'd hit the zoo on Saturday. Metro goes there. You can see Bao-Bao! (Our new baby panda).

westwoodmom04
02-13-2014, 05:58 PM

Not sure if the metro goes to Dulles. I would go to the museums on Saturday, metro will get you within walking distance.

SnuggleBuggles
02-13-2014, 06:24 PM
Metro doesn't go to Dulles. They are building that route now.

How much is parking at your hotel?

daisy13
02-19-2014, 03:56 PM
Update:- We went and we had so much fun! I am so glad you guys encouraged me to go.

We did 4 museums ( air and space, natural history, American history and holocaust). We also saw all the monuments in National mall and Arlington cemetery.

My favorite part- visiting the library of congress and the tomb of the unknown soldier at Arlington NC. Very very humbling experiences!

SnuggleBuggles
02-19-2014, 04:04 PM
Awesome! I am glad you were able to go and that it wasn't a total mess. I hope your dad liked it.

daisy13
02-19-2014, 04:09 PM
Awesome! I am glad you were able to go and that it wasn't a total mess. I hope your dad liked it.
thanks !! He really loved it was very moved by all the history. I am so glad I got a chance to go on this trip with him- really feeling grateful :)

TwinFoxes
02-19-2014, 04:13 PM
Yay! So glad you came and had fun. :)

westwoodmom04
02-19-2014, 05:00 PM
Glad it worked out!