PDA

View Full Version : 12 Worst Baby Gifts Ever

alandenisefields
02-10-2014, 10:53 PM
Yep, we're writing a blog post on the 12 Worst Baby Gifts Ever and would love to hear your best stories.

What was the worst baby gift you've ever received? Or gave? Or heard of? It can be bad funny, sad, outrageous . . . you name it.

Bonus points for any pictures or links to the products online! We'll feature these pics in a slideshow on our blog.

Have fun!
Alan & Denise Fields
authors, BABY BARGAINS

candaceb
02-10-2014, 11:02 PM
One of my friends got a Winnie the Pooh diaper bag that wreaked so badly of cigarettes that we had to move it out of the room during her shower and I don't even think she ended up taking it home.

lalasmama
02-10-2014, 11:03 PM
DD was placed in my home (for an expected adoption), and someone bought us some very sweet decorative pillows. The problem? It's embroidered "Your Mine" instead of "You're Mine". Similarly, a good friend received personalized lovies for her twins, and the babies' names were both spelled wrong! (Hint: Personalization is really sweet, but triple-check the spelling!)

alandenisefields
02-10-2014, 11:09 PM
Good point! Personalized gifts are playing with fire!
denise

hellokitty
02-11-2014, 12:14 AM
A pumpkin halloween costume, which was cute, BUUUUT it was so obvious that the couple who gave it to me (a husband/wife doctor pair who were friends of my parents) bought it on deep clearance. My baby was due in February, I believe my baby shower was sometime in December. What I found so incredibly odd was that they knew I was due in February, so IF they would have bought a costume sized 9 mo, it would have been kind of ok, he could have worn it for his first halloween, even though it was still an extremely odd gift (what parent doesn't want to pick their child's first halloween costume?). Well, they gave me a 3 mo old sized pumpkin costume! Why would my baby wear a pumpkin costume around easter time? Yeah, it just didn't make any sense, and I just basically summed it up to cheapness (that couple was kind of known for being cheapskates). It was strange enough of a gift, that I still remember it. I know that it's the thought that counts, but that is a really, "out" there kind of baby shower gift to give to someone and shows a big lack of thoughtfulness.

AshleyAnn
02-11-2014, 12:24 AM
I live in SC and had a winter baby. For her first Christmas I was give a snowsuit in 9 month size. It was July and 100+ degrees when she was 9 months old. Its also pure white and fuzzy. Needless to say it went to goodwill with the tags still on it

rin
02-11-2014, 12:30 AM
I was given a whole bag of very old (like, 100 year old) children's clothing that was all ripped, stained, or disintegrating with age. It came from an older family member, and I'm 99% sure that when the clothes were originally put in the bag they were probably being collected for quilt material or rags (they were that beat up). The worst was that the family member apparently felt that I'd been given a very special family heirloom, and would fondly tell others in the family (like all my cousins) about how I'd gotten an amazing stash of vintage children's clothing.

wifecat
02-11-2014, 12:32 AM
I got some knit baby booties from an etsy seller. I'm not really a knit booties type of Mom, so that was weird in itself, but they absolutely reeked of cigarette smoke. Eeeeeeeew.

ahisma
02-11-2014, 12:35 AM
Error on the side of too big. When my DD was about 3 months old, I was gifted about a dozen adorable, high quality preemie outfits. Not much that I can do with those!

shweethart
02-11-2014, 01:57 AM
Clothing that doesn't correspond to the season according to the size that is given

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJJJ
02-11-2014, 02:11 AM
Nicely wrapped gift basket full of baby stuff from the Dollar Store. It included lotion, body wash, baby powder, baby booties, bottles, pacifier etc. Everything went right into trash because I was too afraid to use any of the items.

randomkid
02-11-2014, 03:49 AM
I got one of these right after DD was born! http://www.ashtondrake.com/products/300063001_so-truly-real-vinyl-doll.html It's an expensive item and scary!! I have absolutely no idea why I was given this thing, by a family member, who was very excited to give it to me. Really? I already had a baby and did not need a life like, ugly, substitute. She rushed into my house and ran off into the bedroom, took one of DD's onesies and put it on the doll before she gave it to me. When I opened it, I simply was so shocked that I could not hide my disgust. I can think of a lot of other things I would much rather have had that cost over $100. It even has a horrible fake baby powder combined with plastic scent - yuck!

shweethart
02-11-2014, 04:25 AM
Nicely wrapped gift basket full of baby stuff from the Dollar Store. It included lotion, body wash, baby powder, baby booties, bottles, pacifier etc. Everything went right into trash because I was too afraid to use any of the items.

I got one of these too.

Staraglimmer
02-11-2014, 07:36 AM
I got a handmade stuffed bunny. I have no idea what it was stuffed with because because the thing was hard and heavy (not cuddley). It was also made with tacky, scratchy floral fabric. I could have looked past the fabric and brick like feeling as differences in taste or preference if the thing would not have been staring at me with two ill attached choking hazard button eyes. all i could think about was how the eyes seemed the perfect size to choke my baby to death! If you are going to use chocking hazards for eyes, at least sew them on well!!!

liz
02-11-2014, 08:58 AM

Same here. There were also no name pacifiers/baby bottles and bibs that tied (vs velcro). I felt guilty throwing it out, but I didn't feel comfortable donating it from a safety standpoint.

JBaxter
02-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Echoing the no name bottles, pacifiers etc. I got a beautiful monogrammed christmas outfit for my late October boy in a newborn size (?or 0-3 month) He was 10.5lbs at birth so that was a no go.

Pennylane
02-11-2014, 09:17 AM
The weeblock for my son. Such a stupid idea especially when I could just throw a blanket or something across him.

http://www.toysrus.com/buy/portable-changing-pads-sets/sozo-weeblock-tinkle-tinkle-lil-star-2574753

Ann

Staraglimmer
02-11-2014, 09:37 AM
I forgot about the assortment of no-name dollar store junk. I think we all got one of those! Scary bottles, pacifiers, teething toys, no name lotion, shampoo, and baby powder all thrown into a gift bag. I think "anything from the $1 store" should definitely make the top 12!

I will say that I was grateful for any gift, no matter how useful it was to me :)

Gracemom
02-11-2014, 10:17 AM
I got one of these right after DD was born! http://www.ashtondrake.com/products/300063001_so-truly-real-vinyl-doll.html It's an expensive item and scary!! I have absolutely no idea why I was given this thing, by a family member, who was very excited to give it to me. Really? I already had a baby and did not need a life like, ugly, substitute. She rushed into my house and ran off into the bedroom, took one of DD's onesies and put it on the doll before she gave it to me. When I opened it, I simply was so shocked that I could not hide my disgust. I can think of a lot of other things I would much rather have had that cost over $100. It even has a horrible fake baby powder combined with plastic scent - yuck!

I don't think I would be able to sleep with that thing in my house. Creepy!

lizzywednesday
02-11-2014, 10:20 AM
My sister got "wee-wee teepees" for her DS1, but that felt more like a gag gift than anything else, honestly.

For me, it was a well-meant but ultimately useless to me lamb-shaped pacifier clip - I'd had no intention whatsoever of using pacifiers after struggling to nurse my daughter, but I felt terrible throwing it out. I never opened it and handed it down to a friend for her daughter.

We also got a well-intentioned but ultimately horrifying music CD from one of my dad's friends. To be fair, the woman who gifted it to us is lovely but we have very different ideas on what "music" actually is - I am really kind of a snob due to years of training & performing - and this was like someone had recorded a classroom full of 5th graders playing their recorders. I tried to listen to it, but ultimately junked it. (I did remember to write a nice "thank you" note, though, because I was very moved that this woman would think of me & my DD. She's someone I haven't seen regularly since I was 16.)

We also got some random stuff from DH's office mates - they were apparently peeved that we didn't find out what "flavor" baby we would be having, so they ended up giving us gift cards - which I found to be MUCH more useful than having anything gendered!

I count myself very fortunate that my family & friends paid very close attention to my registry, honestly, because I chose the things on it with a lot of care!

mom2khj
02-11-2014, 10:23 AM
Package of NUK pacifiers that looked like it was about 20 years old.

reneed
02-11-2014, 10:47 AM
Some one gave me a time out stuffed animal with a built in timer. Because it's appropriate to put your newborn infant in time out right?

MelissaTC
02-11-2014, 11:07 AM
A little pink ladybug outfit. It was adorable but I had a boy!

NJ_Mom2011
02-11-2014, 11:52 AM
I received expired car seats. To defend the people who gave this gift, this was part of many other gifts. We also got from other people a rocking horse for our newborn. Daughter couldn't use until 2.5 years later.

AngB
02-11-2014, 12:06 PM
An 18 month outfit (it's cute, really!) when we were in the hospital with our newborn. Thanks for the outfit we can *maybe* use in 1.5 years or so.

AshleyAnn
02-11-2014, 12:09 PM
An 18 month outfit (it's cute, really!) when we were in the hospital with our newborn. Thanks for the outfit we can *maybe* use in 1.5 years or so.

I too got clothes that were in the 18m to 3T range. My bosses wife got me a GIGANTIC collection of clothes, all adorable and name brand but after moving 3 times stashing the stuff away has been a pain.

Binkandabee
02-11-2014, 12:21 PM
A HUGE canvas portrait of the gift giver's child....who is a co-worker, not a close friend or family member. She brought this massive portrait unwrapped to the shower and placed it on the fireplace mantle for all guests to see.

BabbyO
02-11-2014, 12:22 PM
The gifts that I got with both boys that I hated were the big heavy buntings/snowsuits (not waterproof). You can't really use these in a carseat, and really my kids aren't going to play in the snow when they are under 1 yo. I don't have any idea what I was supposed to do with those, AND I felt guilty because I knew people spend $$ on them, AND I felt guilty donating them because I know it isn't safe to use them in carseats.

I remember getting one very much like this (http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/ralph-lauren-baby-bunting-baby-girls-or-baby-boys-quilted-barn-bunting?ID=700687)...it was WAY to hot to wear inside. I'm not really sure what the purpose of the buntings are...

The other gift that I got 2 of and never used was the boon spoon Squirt (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=484926&catid=182589&aid=338666&aparam=id484926&device=c&network=g&matchtype=). We ended up being a BLW family...so we never had purees in our house....

ETA: I would say any clothes without a gift receipt. I loved getting clothes for when the kids were older...but often people will get my 50th percentile boys clothes that are WAY too big by assuming that when they were 18 mo old they'd be wearing 2T clothing. By the time they might fit, they are for the wrong season. So clothes are good...IF they have a gift receipt.

mommylamb
02-11-2014, 12:22 PM
A baby robe. Honestly, who actually puts a robe on a baby after a bath? We always just wrapped them up in a hooded towel and then dressed them. What baby wears a robe?

AnnieW625
02-11-2014, 12:38 PM
We got a few baby robes as well and we didn't get to use them until our kids were about 12 to 18 months old, but we used them more for the pool than the actual bath so they were kind of helpful, but not just the minute the baby was born.

Wipes warmer:bag. I know hand in my BBB card pronto, but we never used the thing.

Diaper Genie, 2006 model, this was 2006, but I donated it to charity after using it for a month and got a Diaper Champ instead.

FWIW I tend to buy 9 to 12 months clothes because I always figure that people have too much 0-6 mos. stuff (I think I bought DD1 2 whole outfits, and a pack of long sleeve onesies before she was 9 months old). In defense I either buy lightweight sleepers that will work all year long or jeans, cargo pants, or leggings, a short sleeve onesie and a sweatshirt. I also always buy a week or two before the shower so the mom has plenty of time to return the items in the 90 day return policy most stores like Gymboree have.

petesgirl
02-11-2014, 12:42 PM
I was given a whole bag of very old (like, 100 year old) children's clothing that was all ripped, stained, or disintegrating with age. It came from an older family member, and I'm 99% sure that when the clothes were originally put in the bag they were probably being collected for quilt material or rags (they were that beat up). The worst was that the family member apparently felt that I'd been given a very special family heirloom, and would fondly tell others in the family (like all my cousins) about how I'd gotten an amazing stash of vintage children's clothing.

I got an old quilt like this that my DH's grandma had made years and years ago. The fabric had water spots and stains all over it and it had that musty stored-in-the-basement smell. I kept it in a garbage bag in the closet until just a few days ago when I finally threw it out. I feel bad, but just can't use it to wrap my babies up in.

petesgirl
02-11-2014, 12:49 PM
A HUGE canvas portrait of the gift giver's child....who is a co-worker, not a close friend or family member. She brought this massive portrait unwrapped to the shower and placed it on the fireplace mantle for all guests to see.
Huh??? I don't get some people...

carolinacool
02-11-2014, 12:51 PM
The gifts that I got with both boys that I hated were the big heavy buntings/snowsuits (not waterproof). You can't really use these in a carseat, and really my kids aren't going to play in the snow when they are under 1 yo. I don't have any idea what I was supposed to do with those, AND I felt guilty because I knew people spend $$ on them, AND I felt guilty donating them because I know it isn't safe to use them in carseats.

I remember getting one very much like this (http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/ralph-lauren-baby-bunting-baby-girls-or-baby-boys-quilted-barn-bunting?ID=700687)...it was WAY to hot to wear inside. I'm not really sure what the purpose of the buntings are...

My mom gave me one of these when DS was a month old. I was like "Whaaaa?" But then a few weeks later, it snowed outside. And while he obviously wasn't playing, it was perfect for those couple of times we took him out for a walk. Maybe it works better for folks who live in cold weather who go for walks a lot?

I got some dollar body care stuff as part of a diaper cake someone made me. It was really sweet, but I also was hesitant to use no-name brands. And I was perfectly fine with Johnson & Johnson stuff, so go figure. LOL

mommylamb
02-11-2014, 12:54 PM

LOL! This wins.

kristenk
02-11-2014, 01:08 PM
A baby robe. Honestly, who actually puts a robe on a baby after a bath? We always just wrapped them up in a hooded towel and then dressed them. What baby wears a robe?

I'll echo this one. We received a robe with coordinating clear plastic/vinyl/?? shoes. I'm still baffled as to why a 6-month-old infant would need shower shoes.

BabbyO
02-11-2014, 01:23 PM
My mom gave me one of these when DS was a month old. I was like "Whaaaa?" But then a few weeks later, it snowed outside. And while he obviously wasn't playing, it was perfect for those couple of times we took him out for a walk. Maybe it works better for folks who live in cold weather who go for walks a lot?

I got some dollar body care stuff as part of a diaper cake someone made me. It was really sweet, but I also was hesitant to use no-name brands. And I was perfectly fine with Johnson & Johnson stuff, so go figure. LOL

We live in WI...so maybe that was the thought...but it is dark by the time we are home at night....so walks are few and far between. Most of the people in this area think it is the perfect thing for in the car - carseat. Getting one or two wouldn't really entirely bother me....but we got no fewer than 3-4 for EACH of our boys....

I guess the bigger point is GIFT RECEIPTS! What works for some is completely useless for others.

mackmama
02-11-2014, 02:53 PM

This happened to me too! The giver was a family member who is my age though. I just couldn't understand it.

liz
02-11-2014, 03:06 PM

That is so bizarre! :shrug:

MamaMolly
02-11-2014, 03:42 PM

Ding ding! You win!!

Binkandabee
02-11-2014, 03:43 PM
That is so bizarre! :shrug:

She does crazy things like this all.the.time. Honestly, I think she's an undiagnosed narcissist. I can just see this conversation going on in her head:

"A baby shower? Hey, I have a beautiful baby. I know, I'll help decorate for the shower by bringing a wall canvas of my baby! Ohhh.....wait! I think I'll be extra generous and give the mother to be the picture because my baby is so beautiful everyone's going to want her picture hanging in their home. Look at me....I'm so thoughtful and generous!"

MamaMolly
02-11-2014, 03:50 PM
My step monster gave Lula a sheepskin teddybear. Yeah. So a stuffed bear made from an actual sheep skin, fluffy side out. I tugged on one of the eyes and it popped off in my hand with a 3 inch long rusty wire. I ripped out the other eye and nose, and was absolutely THRILLED when Lula vomited all over it. Can't exactly throw sheepskin into the washer ;)

Step monster got it while traveling overseas so who knows what it was stuffed with, clearly it was unsafe, and not washable. Best part? Step monster made a huge effort to let me know, repeatedly, that she'd spent a LOT on it. Classy.

MamaMolly
02-11-2014, 03:53 PM
:bag I will admit that when I don't especially like the baby's parents I have been known to give all white baby clothing. baby Dior makes beautiful, impractical, dry clean only, tricky to put on or off outfits and Marshall's carries that brand.

I am evil. :bag

♥ms.pacman♥
02-11-2014, 04:01 PM

Wait so hold on...to your baby shower, a co-worker brought you a giant portrait of HER child, as the shower gift??? What.the.Frack!! I think this wins!!

That is so insane. i woudl only consider this sort of gift to the grandparents, that's it.

barkley1
02-11-2014, 04:30 PM
A Moses basket with no bedding or pad. The gift giver got it for a deal and thought I could just "pick some bedding up that matched the nursery". Her intentions were from a place of love, but I spent HOURS online looking for bedding for it, and a pad, that didn't cost $100!!! I could have bought a whole new basket with bedding for a third of what the custom, separate stuff cost, but felt bad not attempting to use the original gift. I eventually got so pissed with the whole situation, i just used it as a toy basket :(

karstmama
02-11-2014, 04:44 PM
ds got a ceramic duck as a shower gift. i have no idea why the giver thought anyone needed a ceramic duck. my uncle gave him a full size saw and hammer, but he owned a hardware store & that's what we all get, so that wasn't weird to us. ;)

BabyBearsMom
02-11-2014, 04:47 PM
When my DH was born his grandfather gave him a hunting rifle and a lifetime membership to the NRA...He got a second rifle for his first birthday. We are anti-gun and refuse to have them at the house and MIL refuses to throw them away since they were gifts from her father. Thank god we didn't have boys because I know she would want to "pass down" the guns to the boys.

alandenisefields
02-11-2014, 06:41 PM
Yes, I think we have to come up with a special prize for that one! Just wow.
Denise

Thatchermom
02-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Underwear. Basic tighty-whiteys with no packaging. Just a gift bag with loose undies, though they were new. So funny in a bizarre way that we kept them around til they fit. We now call them the baby undies when I fold them for his drawer. That's right - NOW. He fits them now. At TWELVE YEARS OLD.

BabbyO
02-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Underwear. Basic tighty-whiteys with no packaging. Just a gift bag with loose undies, though they were new. So funny in a bizarre way that we kept them around til they fit. We now call them the baby undies when I fold them for his drawer. That's right - NOW. He fits them now. At TWELVE YEARS OLD.

OH, my...that is funny! Stachio got socks that were for 3-6 yo's. We think the gift giver thought they said 3-6 MO. It was strange packaging...we also kept them until they fit...but it wasn't nearly as long as 12 years....

On the plus side...you got the little bonus of not having to buy new undies when he finally fit in them!

kerridean
02-11-2014, 08:10 PM
Flowers. I was too busy to water all those flowers.

Staraglimmer
02-11-2014, 09:26 PM

I think I got 4 of those!!

Melaine
02-11-2014, 10:14 PM

This is beyond bizarre...I cannot fathom!

elephantmeg
02-11-2014, 10:20 PM
I had a whole baby shower of that stuff from our church. Wow. I returned what I could and donated the rest...

elbert
02-11-2014, 10:24 PM
When my DH was born his grandfather gave him a hunting rifle and a lifetime membership to the NRA...He got a second rifle for his first birthday. We are anti-gun and refuse to have them at the house and MIL refuses to throw them away since they were gifts from her father. Thank god we didn't have boys because I know she would want to "pass down" the guns to the boys.

The canvas portrait is hysterical. This is just disturbing!

twotimesblue
02-11-2014, 11:56 PM

I actually loved my baby robe! Not the most practical, but super cute for photos.

MIL bought us what we still talk about as the 'death trap crib mobile' that she bought from a market stall in Indonesia. The mobile was bright pink (we had a boy!) but far worse than the color was the construction: thousands of small, choking-hazard beads strung on badly-knotted fishing wire. This thing was supposed to be hung at a height that baby could reach and 'play' with the beads (and happily strangle themselves!) once they could sit up. It was so flimsily put together that DH snapped the wire while taking it out of the package (and the beads made a bid for freedom). She also sent us a wind-up polystyrene planes with sharp metal blades that looked as though it could decapitate someone. She kept asking where it was on her last visit (and on that same trip, bought almost $1000 worth of gifts for her dogs, who are clearly far more important than her only grandkids. Sigh).