PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever been to Marseille (France)? What are the must-sees/dos?

citymama
02-11-2014, 07:13 PM
I have an upcoming solo work trip to Marseiile. I have built in an astounding one at the end of my trip to sightsee - something I almost never do since I usually hop right back home on the first available flight. What would you do with one day to yourself in Marseille? I will also have an afternoon/evening on the front end, but I assume I will mostly be catching up with jetlag, going for a walk around the hotel, getting dinner etc. I have never been to Provence, just Paris and environs. If you know of a day-long reliable tour, I'd be up for that too, or if it's a walking city like Paris, then I can find my way around. I speak reasonably good French.

Any advice on things to see, do and buy would be appreciated!

Thanks!

candaceb
02-11-2014, 07:55 PM
I would get out of Marseille and go to Aix. You can take a train or bus. I did junior year abroad in Aix though so I am a little biased... If you do stay in marseille, the vieux port is about the only thing I remember as being memorable.

citymama
02-11-2014, 08:45 PM
That's what I was thinking - a day trip around Arles or Aix or some place within an hour of marseille. Thanks!

egoldber
02-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Aix is lovely. The other thought is some of the picturesque costal towns like Cassis and Bandol.

citymama
02-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Guess I should get a guidebook, huh? I will be solo and without wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ged
02-18-2014, 03:05 AM
Guess I should get a guidebook, huh? I will be solo and without wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can totally do Aix with the train. While Marseille is cleaning up it's image, and while I think you can find enough to do for one day, I also think Aix would be a great daytrip option!