PDA

View Full Version : rear back up camera - do you use it?

wifecat
02-12-2014, 10:31 AM
We're test driving minivans and I like both the Sienna and the Odyssey. I test drove new ones and really like the back up camera, but we were thinking of getting used and those didn't become standard until 2013, so we could be waiting a bit for some used 2013's to come on the market.

While I really like that feature and think it would make me feel safer, I wonder how much you really use it/depend on it/think it's worth the extra cost. Getting a 2011 would be a lot less expensive and we could have more bells and whistles, while if we go for the backup camera, it's going to be a pretty basic model.

georgiegirl
02-12-2014, 10:32 AM
I use it every time I back up! It's especially handy since the HBBs block my visibility.

KrisM
02-12-2014, 10:33 AM
I have a 2010 Odyssey with it and really like it. Of course I still use mirrors and the windows, but I really think it helps me a lot when backing out of parking spots.

BabbyO
02-12-2014, 10:35 AM
DH has one in his 2012 Outback but I don't have one in my 2004 Forester. When I drive DH's car, I forget to use it most of the time. It is really nice for certain situations...I particularly like it when parallel parking or trying to get out of a tight spot. Our Backup camera also has markings - Green, yellow, & red that show when you see an object in that area your are OK=green, getting close = yellow, really close=red.

For me it wouldn't be a deal breaker since I've been driving for so long without and I don't usually have to do a lot of parallel or tight parking.

123LuckyMom
02-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Well, I chose to get the model that didn't have a backup camera or automatic tailgate, and when DH got his newer model car with the backup camera standard, I realized how much I Iiked using it and regretted my decision. It's not a necessary feature, but it is helpful. You need to decide if it's worth the extra money to you.

wellyes
02-12-2014, 10:42 AM
From what I understand from my automotive engineer husband, backup cameras will be standard on ALL vehicles fairly soon. Even sedans. Current crash test standards make the rear pillars thicker, which decreases visibility. So from a practical and from a resale perspective, it's worth getting.

wifecat
02-12-2014, 10:48 AM
From what I understand from my automotive engineer husband, backup cameras will be standard on ALL vehicles fairly soon. Even sedans. Current crash test standards make the rear pillars thicker, which decreases visibility. So from a practical and from a resale perspective, it's worth getting.

Ooooh, very good to know! Thanks!

o_mom
02-12-2014, 10:49 AM
YES!

I have a 2012 Ody that did not come with a backup camera. We had one installed for around $600 after I backed into DH's car in the driveway. :bag The visibility is extremely limited, even more than my previous Ody. I use it every time we back out of the driveway because of the way the driveway angles. I use it when backing out in parking lots, parallel parking, etc. Very useful! Ours is in the mirror, not the display like the Honda factory ones and I like it better than the dashboard ones.

wifecat
02-12-2014, 10:49 AM
I have a 2010 Odyssey with it and really like it. Of course I still use mirrors and the windows, but I really think it helps me a lot when backing out of parking spots.

The 2010 has it? Which model? The dealership guy led me to believe I'd need to find a 2013! This has me VERY excited!

Mommy_Mea
02-12-2014, 10:50 AM
Love our back up camera. The parking lot at daycare is a nightmare, and I am constantly terrified that I am going to back into someone. When I am driving our new Honda Accord with back up camera, I stress so much less. It isn't critical, but it is such a nice bonus. We were deciding between the accord and the passat, and it was one of the items that swayed our decision.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

o_mom
02-12-2014, 10:50 AM
The 2010 has it? Which model? The dealership guy led me to believe I'd need to find a 2013! This has me VERY excited!

I believe the EX-L and above had them 2011-2012 (our 2012 EX did not have one). 2013+ has them on all trim levels.

123LuckyMom
02-12-2014, 10:56 AM
I believe the EX-L and above had them 2011-2012 (our 2012 EX did not have one). 2013+ has them on all trim levels.

My Ody is a 2012, and the EX-L and up had the backup camera. I bought an EX. I'm pretty sure it's been available for a while. It sounds like your salesman may be trying to sell what's on his lot. I'd go to a different dealership or do some research online!

wifecat

Awesome! That is super helpful (and way better info than dealer guy gave me. Hmph).

Neatfreak
I use ours less than I thought that I would. It's nice to have another tool, but the distortion of distances as viewed through the camera still makes checking out the rear window and checking the mirrors no less necessary.

94bruin
02-12-2014, 10:58 AM

Our 2009 Odyssey Touring has one. I use it all the time. I do have to say that the back up camera on DH's 2012 Lexus has a higher quality camera than the Odyssey. So not all cameras are created equal.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

wifecat
02-12-2014, 11:03 AM
My Ody is a 2012, and the EX-L and up had the backup camera. I bought an EX. I'm pretty sure it's been available for a while. It sounds like your salesman may be trying to sell what's on his lot. I'd go to a different dealership or do some research online!

I think my salesman was not highly informed, because sitting on his lot are used 2011 and 2012 EX-Ls, but no 2013s! I'll definitely go somewhere else.

georgiegirl
02-12-2014, 11:05 AM
My 2009 EX-L with RES has one.

scrooks
02-12-2014, 11:18 AM
Same here!!!

alootikki
02-12-2014, 11:30 AM
The back-up camera is probably my favorite feature in our 2010 Odyssey! We live in a town with tiny parking lots, narrow spaces, etc. and it is invaluable! We just got a small new sedan (without a back-up camera) and I really regret not getting one - it makes parallel parking so much easier. I would say it's a must-have.

BunnyBee
02-12-2014, 11:38 AM
We have had one since our 2008 Pilot. The camera in the 2011 Odyssey is a huge improvement. I would not want to drive one without the camera. Backing out of spaces in the primary school parking lot--some clueless parents always made me nervous about backing over a kid. It's great for parking too. I would not want to drive my car without it. The visibility is terrible otherwise.

dogmom
02-12-2014, 11:38 AM
My DH truck has one, I wish my Rav4 did. It's great. Really, it's ridiculous with today's technology we don't have better visibility in cars. Why am I futzing with mirrors, which never give 100% coverage? I can't count how many almost collisions I've got into because of small blind spots that are unavoidable.

HipMama
02-12-2014, 11:46 AM
I use it but don't rely on it 100%. I still check mirrors and over my shoulder. It's a nice feature but I wouldn't sacrifice other features just to have it.

Blue Hydrangea
02-12-2014, 11:50 AM
YES!
I have '11 Enclave and I can't imagine backing up without it. There is really poor visibility with around the back of the vehicle that I rely on that camera to make sure I don't hit the car behind me when parallel parking or backing over something/someone when backing out of my driveway.

Dream
02-12-2014, 11:54 AM
I have 2010 Sienna and love the back up camera. I use it every time I back up. It had helped me so much to squeeze into tight parking spots which is very handy since I'm in New York. I wish mine had a front camera too. Love it, and wouldn't want another vehicle without it.

wifecat
02-12-2014, 12:00 PM
I have 2010 Sienna and love the back up camera. I use it every time I back up. It had helped me so much to squeeze into tight parking spots which is very handy since I'm in New York. I wish mine had a front camera too. Love it, and wouldn't want another vehicle without it.

Oooh, which Sienna model has it for 2010?

zukeypur
02-12-2014, 12:14 PM
I won't buy another car without it. I use it every time I back up (much safer than relying on me craning my head around the sea of car seats in the back, as well as the super-tall headrests) as well as every time I park in the garage to make sure I'm parked in the correct spot. I also use it every time I leave the garage to make sure I don't hit the fence.

ETA: I have a 2012 Odyssey EXL

eagle
02-12-2014, 12:29 PM
From what I understand from my automotive engineer husband, backup cameras will be standard on ALL vehicles fairly soon. Even sedans.

man, im SOO glad and i HOPE that this is true!!

♥ms.pacman♥
02-12-2014, 12:30 PM
:yeahthat: we have a 2010 Odyssey Touring that has it, and i really like it. it is extremely useful for parking situations (which is often due to picking up/dropping off kids from school etc).

larig
02-12-2014, 01:04 PM
I don't have one of the minivans you're test-driving, but I have a Town& Country. The backup camera is standard on all models of the T&C with a large screen where the radio displays are. When I bought last May the backup camera was on my list of must-haves--that plus the safety package that alerts you when something is in your blind spot. I paid extra for that feature, but I'm very glad I did.

SnuggleBuggles
02-12-2014, 01:07 PM
I was with a friend the other day in her Ody and she didn't use it. And complained that she couldn;t see out the back.. I was very confused.

ckso
02-12-2014, 01:08 PM
YES. I use it everytime I parallel park which is all the time. I've gotten into some tight space that I wouldn't even attempt had I not have the backup camera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mirthful
02-12-2014, 01:11 PM

Yeah that! Hands down my favorite feature and I wish there was a front camera too!!

mom2khj
02-12-2014, 01:21 PM
I use it all the time. The parking lot at our soccer fields is a crazy mess and it's much better to back in (otherwise you'll never get out until everyone has left, LOL). I use it every weekend when I back into a space there. I also find it incredibly useful when backing out of the garage and in my parking garage at work where visibility stinks, I can see if someone is coming better on the camera than over my shoulder (but I still check both).

anonomom
02-12-2014, 02:36 PM
I just traded in a 2009 EX-L that had a one, but it was small (the screen was in the rearview mirror). I used it, but relied more on looking out the window. My 2013 EX-L has the screen in the middle of the dashboard, it's much larger and it seems to have a much more expansive view. I use it all the time. The 2013 also has a right-side camera that turns on every time you have the right turn signal on. It's not as useful as the backup camera but it is a nice feature, especially when changing lanes at night.

Dream
02-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Oooh, which Sienna model has it for 2010?

Sorry, just checked with my DH and he said its a 2011 LE model

BabyBearsMom
02-12-2014, 03:45 PM
I use it constantly. We have a 2011 Odyssey (I think that is the year, it is the year before the new version came out) and I couldn't back up without it. You just can't see anything below waist height otherwise. We also have a Nissan Murano with a back up camera and I use that every time I drive it. I don't think I would buy a car that didn't have a back up camera at this point.

Gracemom
02-12-2014, 03:50 PM
My DH's car has a back-up camera and I love it. My car doesn't have it, and I truly don't feel as safe without it, especially in parking lots where there are many kids and families. It really bugs me when I go back & forth driving my car & my DH's car. I will definitely get one for my next car.

twotimesblue
02-12-2014, 04:06 PM
I couldn't live without mine! I paid a lot of $$$ to have it in my new car as the standard 'base' model didn't have one. It is the single most beloved feature on the car, and when I get a rental without one I definitely miss it hugely

twowhat?
02-12-2014, 04:07 PM
I truly think I'd be lost without a backup camera in our Odyssey. I almost think it's essential. I don't know how folks managed before! LOL!

We haev a 2008 Ody so it's just the little screen that appears in the rear-view mirror but even though it's a small image, it's so incredibly useful. We use it every time we pull into the garage so we can park as far to the back of the garage as possible, which leaves more room in front of the van to walk around it. I do feel a lot safer having it - particularly at the daycare parking lot!!

I depend enough on it that if I'm about the back up and the camera is obscured due to dirt or dust or sand or water, I get out of the car, wipe it off, then get back in and continue:)

AnnieW625
02-12-2014, 04:15 PM
When I bought my Pilot in 2006 we didn't have a back up camera option and we got the EX-L model, but I agree it would be nice to have. I have been in two minor parking lot accidents by backing up into someone since 2006 and while I wish I could argue that people need to be more cognisant of people backing up but I was still at fault and I have always wondered if a backup camera would have helped at all.

The 2011 model Odyssey has it too, probably at least at the EX-L model or EX-L with navigation. Some friends of ours have the first year of the newest Odyssey, which is a 2011 (http://www.autotrader.com/2011-Honda-Odyssey.jsp?modelId=20966).

Honda has backup cameras standard in the Accord now, that was new for 2013. It was pretty impressive to say the least I just wish the Accord we tested was more fun to drive.

Nooknookmom
02-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Yes and I didn't even want it in the package. It came on the vehicle randomly and I balked at it. Thinking I survived all these years with out one.

I use it everyday. I depise the beeping though, it could cause a wreck!

I happened to be in a super right Parking area yesterday and it saved my butt.

sunnyside
02-12-2014, 04:17 PM
I LOVE my backup camera!

kwc
02-12-2014, 05:15 PM
LOVE it (I have a Highlander). DH hates that rental cars don't have them when he travels. I certainly would not buy an SUV or van without one… particularly with kids and a dog. It is just too hard to see out the back and you absolutely cannot see things that are close or low (i.e., children). Also the side curtain airbags and structure of the B-pillars seems to make rear visibility even worse than in older cars...

I think they are great for older drivers too... DH just bought his mom a new car for her 70th birthday and one of his few requirements was a backup camera (even on the compact sized car she wanted, a Mazda 3).

Pear
02-12-2014, 05:27 PM
We have a Nissan murano. The rear visibility without the camera is not good. I wouldn't buy another one (or a similar vehicle) without the backup camera. I use it every time I go in reverse.

khm
02-12-2014, 07:35 PM
My husband and I both got new-to-us cars recently, after having the previous cars for a decade, so no cameras there!

His car was first and it is nice b/c it is a large vehicle, but it isn't a great camera. Very fish-eye distorted and hard to gauge... anything other than if there is a garbage can or a kid at some indeterminate distance in relation to the rear bumper. Still, it is nice to have, though not super useful for intricate parking or anything.

My car came next and that camera is very good. There is way less distortion and it has yellow lines that tell you where the car will go based on the current position of the steering wheel.

I am glad they are making them standard and that they are much improved in recent years. Definitely a good thing in my book.

emily_gracesmama
02-12-2014, 07:40 PM
I rarely use it I forget it's there since our odyssey doesn't have it and we alternate cars a lot and Not all backup cameras are equal. Our 2013 sienna has one but some SUVs we tested the gmc Acadia had an awesome one with lines so you knew u were backing up perfectly into a space. I wish the sienna camera was like that one.

3blackcats
02-12-2014, 08:31 PM

My 2010 ex-L came with a standard camera and I love it!!! I really miss it when I'm in other cars that don't have that feature.

smilequeen
02-12-2014, 09:04 PM
OMG yes. I will never ever have a car without one again. My current car has a 360 camera. Best.thing.ever. It's a huge car and I can park it so easily anywhere.

I had a 2009 Sienna that had one. It was the Limited model.

DualvansMommy
02-12-2014, 09:14 PM
We have it with our Subaru outback and absolutely love it!!!! Whenever I switch with DH Camry which doesn't have a rear backup camera , I hate it!

OKKiddo
02-12-2014, 09:18 PM

It came with my 2010 EX-L (I also have the Rear Entertainment System but no Navigation). My camera is also in my rear view mirror.

mackmama
02-12-2014, 09:19 PM
It took me a long time to remember to use it - I now really like it!

chays
02-12-2014, 09:43 PM
I think it is a must-have since pedestrians assume that you have one. I can't tell you how many idiots walk behind me while I am pulling out and couldn't possibly see them otherwise. I will say that I use the beeps of the sonar more than the visual of the camera. But when it beeps, I take a closer look.

marinkitty
02-12-2014, 10:34 PM
I've only had one for about a month, so I'm still remembering to use it, but I really like it for times I am backing out of a parking spot onto a street because it helps me see past the back end of the car parked next to me to see if a car is coming. For straight backing in and out of the garage/driveway I don't really use it but maybe that will change the longer I have it. The car I wanted came with it (used 2012) and there weren't others with the same make/mileage available so I just ended up with it.