PDA

View Full Version : Florida - Teach me about the tolls

geochick
02-13-2014, 12:14 AM
We'll be flying to Orlando in a few weeks and will be driving to Siesta Key (Gulf Side). What do I need to know about the tolls in that area? Cash? Coin? Card? What's best? Is there one route that's better than another? We haven't driven in Florida in about 15 years. Thanks.

mom2beofboy/girltwins
02-14-2014, 03:27 AM
Easiest route is probably to use 417 South until it dumps you out onto I-4 West. You can take that to I-75 South. Only toll road on that route is 417. If you have quarters you can use the exact change lane, otherwise you can pay cash at a manned booth. There's something called an e-pass that you link to a credit card or preload that allows you to drive through express lanes, but I doubt it'd be worth the trouble to get if this is just an isolated trip. I'm not 100% positive the total amount of the tolls since I have an e-pass and never pay attention to the individual tools ;) but it'll be somewhere in the neighborhood of $5. If you Google 'e-pass' there's a website for something like Orlando Transit Authority and they have a link showing all the tolls and amounts.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Smillow
02-14-2014, 11:51 AM
The rental car company may have a sun pass option for you. In South Florida, there are roads that are exclusively Sun Pass or pay by plate (they photograph you going through the toll booth & send the toll bill to the car owner) so the rental car companies must have a way of dealing with this.

geochick
02-15-2014, 01:44 PM
So helpful! Thanks.