PDA

View Full Version : Mattress pad/protector/ sheet saver confusion!

mjwood
02-16-2014, 02:19 AM
Help! We're a few months away from our first baby (June) and trying to figure out the mattress and sheet setup. We would love input and answers from the experienced parents out there. We aren't sure if we should get the Ultimate crib sheet, Quick Zip crib sheet, waterproof mattress cover, mattress pad, or some combination of these. Some questions:
-do you need a waterproof mattress cover if you get the Ultimate, Zip or a waterproof mattress pad (assuming the mattress is waterproof too)?
-do you need a mattress pad with the Ultimate or Zip?
-do you need less sheets (BBB recommends 3-4) if you use the Ultimate?
-Are the crib bar ties on the Ultimate safe (I.e., choking, tangle, etc?)?
-what set up do you use and like best?

Thank you!

zag95
02-16-2014, 11:10 PM
I had and still use (with DD2!) 2 Carter's waterproof mattress pads; and 2 ultimate crib sheets. Didn't use the UCS as much with DD2, as with DD1- maybe because I already had the diaper thing down, so fewer explosions, leaks, etc.
All of your questions depend on your mattress- is it waterproof? If not, I'd def get 2 waterproof mattress covers. Some people layer them for nighttime changes- waterproof mat pad and sheet, waterproof mat pad and sheet- which can help with those 1am diaper leaks. Our mattress was a foam Colgate Classica I which is "waterproofed" but I got the mattress pad anyway.

I'd get 1 ultimate crib sheet or giant waterproof pad (one that is almost crib sized that you can fold for your needs)- which is very helpful if you have to have naked time with diaper rash, which we had to do. Those pads can also be used later for when DC are transitioning to big girl beds- esp at nap time, or to take if you travel somewhere - beach, relative's house, where ever.

I have read on here that some people are concerned about safety with kids rolling under, etc. Never have had any issues- DD1 is 6, DD2 is almost 19 mos.

Hope this helps!

wendibird22
02-17-2014, 10:14 AM
We had 2 UCS and a few small/narrow waterproof toppers. The UCS's honestly got more use when my kids were PT'ing at night than as babies. I just never needed top to bottom waterproof coverage on their crib mattresses. I had a waterproof mattress pad under the sheet and if a kid went through a real drooling stage then the narrow topper. The UCS was great on the twin mattress turned sideways when my DDs were PT'ing.

123LuckyMom
02-17-2014, 11:38 AM
We had/have two waterproof mattress pads and fitted crib sheets. We also have the UCS, but we never used it. Compared to the mattress pads, the UCS seemed stiff and uncomfortable. It's conceivable with a tummy virus or something that you could go through multiple needs for sheet changes, so having the UCS for backup is a good idea, but we never used ours.

mjwood
02-23-2014, 12:54 PM
Thank you for the replies. My wife is leaning against getting an UCS, so we will likely go the waterproof mattress pad (e.g., Carters Crib Pad) route. We plan to get a waterproof mattress too. Should we also get a waterproof mattress cover to protect the mattress, or is that overkill? Also on this subject, has anyone heard of the Lil Helper Organic Bamboo waterproof mattress pad? It's a Canadian product, but is available in the US too and sounds pretty good. But reviews are hard to find.

jam224
02-24-2014, 02:03 AM
Thank you for the replies. My wife is leaning against getting an UCS, so we will likely go the waterproof mattress pad (e.g., Carters Crib Pad) route. We plan to get a waterproof mattress too. Should we also get a waterproof mattress cover to protect the mattress, or is that overkill? Also on this subject, has anyone heard of the Lil Helper Organic Bamboo waterproof mattress pad? It's a Canadian product, but is available in the US too and sounds pretty good. But reviews are hard to find.

I don't think it's overkill. It's what we do and I'm very happy with the extra layer of protection. We have the Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer mattress (http://www.moonlightslumber.com/little_dreamer.php) and the Ultimate Flannel Waterproof Mattress Protector from The Company Store (http://www.thecompanystore.com/ultimate-flannel-waterproof-mattress-protector/MA40.html). Highly recommend both.