PDA

View Full Version : So leggings aren't pants. What about jeggings?

wendibird22
02-17-2014, 10:19 AM
If you own jeggings how do you style them? Like leggings? Like pants? I have a pair of Gap ponte jeggings (zipper and button waist, front and back pockets). The pant styling (belt loops and button waist) make them a bit bulkier on top than a legging so some long tanks, long sweaters, etc kind of look odd. My go to is to wear them with a poncho sweater and knee high boots. This blog (http://franish.blogspot.com/2013/10/review-gap-ponte-legging-jeans.html) she pairs them often with a blazer. I don't think I like my butt/hips enough to do that.

Other styling ideas?

tarnator
02-18-2014, 01:00 AM
Good question. I think that I style them more like pants.... But right now I cant think of what I put with them. Dolman style tshirt?

essnce629
02-18-2014, 06:04 AM
I wear them with shirts/sweaters/jackets that hit mid hip or lower. Definitely nothing that hits me at belt level.

TwinFoxes
02-18-2014, 09:49 AM
I clicked on your link, I don't think that look is flattering on that blogger, especially not flattering enough to tell people "look at my cool outfit". I don't wear jeggings because I don't think they'd be flattering on me. (I'm not saying that would be true for you wendibird). That's one trend I've decided to skip...I put my DDs in jeggings instead, they look adorable. I'll stick to leggings and tunics.

I do think if you end up getting the blardigan, it would look good with jeggings.

MelissaTC
02-18-2014, 11:04 AM
I think the key is layering. I think she describes it well (with photos) http://pinteresttoldmeto.blogspot.com/2013/10/leggings-101-leggings-are-not-pants.html

elektra
02-18-2014, 11:05 AM
I wear the more like pants. However, I don't tuck my shirts in or wear a belt with them like the girl in the picture.

arivecchi
02-18-2014, 11:08 AM
I just say no to jeggins. Leggings styled with long sweaters or shirts/tunics, I'm ok with.

ilfaith
02-18-2014, 11:29 AM
I think it depends on the definition of "jeggings." If we are talking about denim-colored leggings in a ponte or stretch jersey fabric, I would treat them more like leggings (tops must cover tushie). If they are just super stretchy denim, I would style them more like jeans.

I prefer the latter to the former.

pastrygirl
02-18-2014, 11:58 AM
After reading a lot about ponte on YLF, I started covering up, but I'm less paranoid about it than regular leggings. If my sweater is the tiniest bit short, I don't sweat it. If it has full pockets, like jeans, I don't sweat it. But most of the time, I do what I can to cover up.

SnuggleBuggles
02-18-2014, 12:01 PM
After reading a lot about ponte on YLF, I started covering up, but I'm less paranoid about it than regular leggings. If my sweater is the tiniest bit short, I don't sweat it. If it has full pockets, like jeans, I don't sweat it. But most of the time, I do what I can to cover up.

My strategy too.

I really don't like the bloggers look but I also don't like tucked in tops.

wendibird22
02-18-2014, 12:08 PM

These Gap pants have front and back pockets and you have to zip/button them on (can't just pull them on like leggings). The ponte is quite heavy/thick, so no chance of see through anywhere. I agree that I wouldn't wear with a tucked in shirt and belt. Just trying to figure out how long my top layers need to be.

Chitowngirl
02-18-2014, 01:03 PM
Edited to add link at bottom.

I have gap jeggings. They are black cotton but softer than regular denim (sort of like I consider chambray to be denim but softer than regular denim). To me they ARE definitely pants and more like tights jeans than leggings. They are in a different category altogether than leggings that just happen to be denim colored if you know what I mean. I like my jeggings because they are soft and much more comfy than skinny jeans. I'll wear it with any shirt or sweater (not just a super long one), but I never tuck it in. I tend to accessorize with a skinny belt if I am trying to be cute and give myself a little but if a waist.

This is an example of a link I found (not me) that shows what I was trying to describe. I would not wear something like this with leggings as I think the shirt is too short, but I would feel comfortable doing it in the gap jeggings.

http://m.weheartit.com/entry/47911061

TwinFoxes
02-18-2014, 01:55 PM
These Gap pants have front and back pockets and you have to zip/button them on (can't just pull them on like leggings). The ponte is quite heavy/thick, so no chance of see through anywhere. I agree that I wouldn't wear with a tucked in shirt and belt. Just trying to figure out how long my top layers need to be.

See, I don't think of those as jeggings...but like a lot of things I think there's more than one definition! I think these are jeggigng:

http://daleresourcegroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/jeggings1.jpg

Pull on, very skinny, with jean details. Not ponte. But meant to be worn to show off the detail.

I personally would wear what you describe, which I would call a slim fitting pant, similar to the way Latia says she'd style it it. With something hitting you low to mid hip, either a blazer or cardi. A tucked in shirt and belt like the blogger is wearing is just not a good look on a lot of people.

essnce629
02-18-2014, 02:22 PM
I think it depends on the definition of "jeggings." If we are talking about denim-colored leggings in a ponte or stretch jersey fabric, I would treat them more like leggings (tops must cover tushie). If they are just super stretchy denim, I would style them more like jeans.

I prefer the latter to the former.

Yes, I'm talking about super stretchy denim with regular pockets (front and back) and a zipper, not denim colored leggings.

I think these are jeggigng:

http://daleresourcegroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/jeggings1.jpg

Pull on, very skinny, with jean details. Not ponte. But meant to be worn to show off the detail.

Yes, this exactly. I wear them almost every day.

And no way would I ever wear them with a tucked in shirt and belt! Just not a good look!

barkley1
02-18-2014, 03:08 PM
If they are remotely pant-like and there is absolutely no outline of girly parts *say no to the camel toe*, I'm ok with shorter length tops, but cover up all the way if they show any type of outline, etc down there!

niccig
02-18-2014, 10:11 PM
I have similar pant from Loft. I layer like the pinteresttoldmeto blog suggests, even if it's just a longer tank as bottom layer so my butt and crotch is covered. I got black jeggings as felt the leggings weren't substantial enough unless i was wearing something longer - I've seen WAY too many girls at college where the legging is stretched and see through from behind, if i think my shirt/cardy will ride up at the back, it's jeggings. I'll wear jeggings with a long t/tank and then a cardigan. I wear legging with a tunic length top that definitely covers my butt/crotch. I like have the crotch covered as I find both the leggings and jeggings can sag a bit in crotch and it's not a good look.

elektra
02-23-2014, 08:22 PM
Finally figured out how to get a picture uploaded. This is what I consider wearing "as pants".
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2876/12617371095_b463a8f12f.jpg

ray7694
02-23-2014, 08:27 PM
I wear cotton leggings with dresses where the dress covers my butt and most of my thighs. With jeggings or even tight skinniest I wear tops that cover my butt but not my thighs.

TwinFoxes
02-23-2014, 09:02 PM
Finally figured out how to get a picture uploaded. This is what I consider wearing "as pants".
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2876/12617371095_b463a8f12f.jpg

Great look. What are those sandals? They are super cute!