PDA

View Full Version : Experience with emergency call systems in private homes for seniors?

lalasmama
02-17-2014, 06:02 PM
Anyone have any experience with emergency call systems in a private home, like LifeAlert?

I have no idea where to look, or what company to go with!

FIL just moved in a few miles away, and had a fall last night. Overall, he's self-sufficient, but in case he has an issue and can't get to the phone, I'm thinking he needs some type of assistance.

azzeps
02-17-2014, 07:20 PM
The question is, will he wear the little alert thingy? My grandmother had one, and she kept it in her jewelry box, and when they did the monthly test, she would get it out for that, and then right back into the jewelry box on her dresser. Not of much use if she'd fallen. Thankfully, she lived with my parents so she was rarely left alone. But something to consider before you invest in one!

KLD313
02-17-2014, 07:34 PM
The question is, will he wear the little alert thingy? My grandmother had one, and she kept it in her jewelry box, and when they did the monthly test, she would get it out for that, and then right back into the jewelry box on her dresser. Not of much use if she'd fallen. Thankfully, she lived with my parents so she was rarely left alone. But something to consider before you invest in one!

Definitely this. My grandmother wouldn't wear it either and my uncle and mother had to threaten her to make her wear it.

Cam&Clay
02-17-2014, 11:59 PM
My parents lived next door to a widow who had one of those alerts that was connected to the alarm system. One day my mom got a call from the company that they had received a signal. Mom got her key and rushed over to find the neighbor on the floor with a broken hip. It was truly a life saver!