PDA

View Full Version : Dr says brat diet, but toddler wants everything else?

bw52
02-17-2014, 06:18 PM
My (very independent/opinionated) 2 year old has had a stomach bug for the last week. She threw up all night (a week ago) and we did the brat diet and 24 hours later she was back to herself again. Back to eating normal foods and then diarrhea started. And has been getting more frequent every day for 6 days.

So, the dr says get her back eating only the brat diet. Sounds good. Her tummy is not doing well even though i'm trying to give her bland things. BUT, she does not want to eat any brat foods. Refuses them all! And has a fit about it. Of course she doesn't understand it will make her feel better.

So....how can i make the brat diet sound better to her?

I don't want her having a huge tantrum/meltdown everytime she's hungry. Suggestions, please?

Philly Mom
02-17-2014, 06:27 PM
I think you should just stay away from dairy and green stuff. Other cultures don't do brat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amom526
02-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Yeah my kids never want the BRAT diet. I just let them eat whatever interests them, and try to get them to eat a lot of bananas. I think kids are very in tune with what their bodies can handle.

nfowife
02-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Current thinking is let them eat what they feel like when they are ready. No need for BRAT. That's outdated thinking.

o_mom
02-17-2014, 06:48 PM
Agreeing with everyone else. With the exception of withholding dairy and anything that stains, I let mine eat and drink most everything. I probably wouldn't give them prunes, but that's about it. Last time I looked into it there was no evidence to support BRAT or withholding liquids when vomiting.

123LuckyMom
02-17-2014, 06:58 PM
Agreeing with everyone else. With the exception of withholding dairy and anything that stains, I let mine eat and drink most everything. I probably wouldn't give them prunes, but that's about it. Last time I looked into it there was no evidence to support BRAT or withholding liquids when vomiting.

Exactly!

Green_Tea
02-17-2014, 06:59 PM
I skirt the BRAT diet with things like Rice Krispie treats, banana bread, noodles, cinnamon toast.

bw52
02-17-2014, 07:02 PM
Well, we had been letting her eat more of what she wants, but the diarrhea is getting worse everyday, so now i'm thinking that's why. Her tummy doesn't like what she's eating.

Maybe if i just cut out dairy that would help? Of course dairy is in about everything she loves.

Green_Tea
02-17-2014, 07:03 PM
Cut the dairy, add probiotics.

Philly Mom
02-17-2014, 07:56 PM
Well, we had been letting her eat more of what she wants, but the diarrhea is getting worse everyday, so now i'm thinking that's why. Her tummy doesn't like what she's eating.

Maybe if i just cut out dairy that would help? Of course dairy is in about everything she loves.

The dairy is the problem. After a stomach virus the stomach doesn't have the bacteria to digest dairy. We had the same issue with DD1. We went off dairy until her BMs were normal but that was it.

flashy09
02-17-2014, 08:31 PM
My pediatrician has a huge flyer up on the wall about not following the BRAT diet, but instead giving other certain foods and avoiding some....I can't really remember, but can take a picture of it on Wednesday if anyone is interested.

mackmama
02-17-2014, 08:37 PM
My pediatrician has a huge flyer up on the wall about not following the BRAT diet, but instead giving other certain foods and avoiding some....I can't really remember, but can take a picture of it on Wednesday if anyone is interested.

Yes please!

kwc
02-17-2014, 08:44 PM
Agree that dairy / transient lactose-intolerance is the most common cause of diarrhea following the stomach flu. However, toddler's diarrhea/ fructose malabsorption can contribute as well... in particular, avoid lots of apple juice or fructose-sweetened sports drinks/ juice-type drinks (or consider changing to white grape juice which has a better fructose:sucrose ration). But in general, BRAT diet is not particularly recommended anymore unless that's all the kiddo wants!

http://www.gikids.org/files/documents/digestive%20topics/english/Diarrhea%20-%20toddlers.pdf

elephantmeg
02-17-2014, 09:39 PM
I'd do yogurt/probiotics if she will do it. And otherwise just try to not do a ton of rich or milky stuff.

Reader
02-17-2014, 10:35 PM
The dairy is the problem. After a stomach virus the stomach doesn't have the bacteria to digest dairy. We had the same issue with DD1. We went off dairy until her BMs were normal but that was it.

I agree. And also agree with someone else's probiotic suggestion. I was told it takes weeks after a tummy bug to develop enzymes to digest dairy again.

123LuckyMom
02-17-2014, 11:08 PM

I'm interested! Please do post it.

azzeps
02-18-2014, 01:08 AM
I usually follow Dr. Sears' advice: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/health-concerns/skin-care/diarrhea

Hope you find something that appeals to your child but doesn't irritate the tummy!