PDA

View Full Version : how to potty train in diapers and underwear?

lil_acorn
02-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Daycare won't take my DS in underwear unless he limits himself to 1-2 accidents a day. So I'm thinking underwear at home and diapers at school for now. Will this poor kid be completely confused? Any other ideas on how to tackle this challenge?

i tried to train him this weekend and had a ton of accidents but made some progress in that he would stop mid-pee and tell me he had to go and finish in the potty.

BabbyO
02-18-2014, 01:50 PM
Will they allow pull-ups at school....so they're more like undies, but there isn't the accident factor from actual undies?? I'm not a huge fan of pull-ups but this is where/how we used them at the school's encouragement.

BabyBearsMom
02-18-2014, 02:47 PM
Do you have the option to keep him home for a couple of days and do intense training? With DD1, I kept her home on a Friday of a 3 day weekend, put her in undies full time and brought her to the potty every 20 minutes. By Monday we ran errands etc. with her in underwear. I sent her to school on Tuesday in underwear, left several spare pairs in her cubby and took home all of the diapers, and we never looked back. I told her teachers we were potty training in advance and we wrote up a school/home plan detailing what I would do at home and what they would do at school to support us. It worked very well. I think underwear at home and diapers at school can be confusing to a kid. If he is having a lot of accidents, are you sure he is ready to PT? I wouldn't push the potty training if he isn't really ready.

lil_acorn
02-18-2014, 07:08 PM
I put him in underwear from morning until time for school. Then he was in diapers all day at school. When i got him home, he had piddled a teeny bit in his diaper but I put him on the potty and he went a ton. I moved him to underwear and then he went another 2 hours later. Cross fingers..maybe this will work! I am going to try to do another intense training this weekend. It's already better than yesterday!

I'm going to move him to pull ups and talk to school about training.

indigo99
02-18-2014, 11:23 PM
FWIW, our preschool will only let you use training pants with Velcro sides so it's easier for them to change the kids. That seems too similar to a diaper to make much difference to me. DS wore diapers at school until he was trained at home and then still asked for a diaper for pooping for many more months after he was pee trained.

Simon
02-20-2014, 04:45 PM
How is it going? It sounds like he really held it in at day care so I'd send him in underwear for a few days and ask them to offer him the potty.

lil_acorn
02-25-2014, 11:33 AM
We had a great weekend in underwear. He was completely dry Saturday and two little squirts sunday but I think he gets it! He was still in diapers last week at school but today he refused to wear them, so we're in underwear today. Hoping for good results.