PDA

View Full Version : i can't take any more snow

lmh2402
02-18-2014, 01:13 PM
and i'm pretty sure that the "heatwave" we're expecting this weekend of 50 (which is sure not to last) will make things worse b/c all our gutters/downspouts are totally, TOTALLY buried in thick, heavy snow that will not melt anytime soon. so the water will have no way of getting out.

preparing for floods and leaks galore.

done. with. winter.

this is Jersey, not Alaska. get it straight, mother nature.

KrisM
02-18-2014, 01:32 PM
I'm there with you! I like winter and snow, but I'm done. I'm not looking forward to the rain on Thursday. Not sure where that water will go.

SnuggleBuggles
02-18-2014, 01:36 PM
Done here too. It's ridiculous and not what I signed up for.

BabbyO
02-18-2014, 02:19 PM
I'm there with you! I like winter and snow, but I'm done. I'm not looking forward to the rain on Thursday. Not sure where that water will go.

I am wondering the same thing. I realized this winter, I need to mark where the storm drain in on our curb and keep it shoveled out from now on....we are going to have water 1/3 of the way up our driveway probably....then it will freeze because this is WI.

doberbrat
02-18-2014, 02:53 PM

Right into our basements :(

Mommy_Mea
02-18-2014, 03:41 PM
I just want to wake up every morning and scream "uncle"! If it wasn't so freakin' cold, I could at least drag the boys out to play more, but we are buried in snow and it is WAY too cold outside. But just like you, I can't look forward to this "heat wave" because of all the flooding we will be fighting.

I can't wait for green grass and flowers.

arivecchi
02-18-2014, 03:51 PM
I think we are up to 70 inches here and it's all melting today in 40 degree weather with rain expected tomorrow. I'm so thankful that we live high up on a hill! The flooding won't be pretty.

MSWR0319
02-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Right there with ya!! I just saw on the news we are .5" from the record snow. We currently have had 73" this year. It's starting to melt and I'm worried about our basement simply because of the piles in the driveway. We live on a hill, so let's hope it runs down the driveway! Or course, I think after it storms (with chance of tornados) on Thurs, it's supposed to freeze again. Seriously??

arivecchi
02-18-2014, 04:12 PM
34893490. These are the piles of snow in my yard (before the last couple of storms dumped more snow). Really hoping it will all roll down the hill!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahisma
02-18-2014, 04:26 PM
Ditto. We're in MI. We actually cut a vacation short to get home because of the melting. 100 year old house + 3 feet of compressed snow everywhere you look just can't be good.

We're #3 in the country for snowfall right now. We've passed 100". Not impressed.

bisous
02-18-2014, 05:30 PM
Holy cow! We need some kind of adjustment because here in CA we're in a serious drought. We could REALLY use some of your precipitation, although I admit I'd much prefer it in the form of RAIN rather than all that snow!

elizabethkott
02-18-2014, 06:09 PM
Ugh. A neighbor and I were joking the other night about renting a dumpster and bobcat and just putting all the snow from the street into the dumpster, and carting it off to the high school football field.
I'm currently advocating for going to Home Depot to rent a blowtorch to melt out the rest of the driveway.

Twoboos
02-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Oh I totally hear you. We've been dealing with ice dams in our MA br and kitchen. And it's going to rain and then be 45degrees for a few days. I'm sure we're screwed.

Here's a picture of our deck. That thing in the middle is our patio set which DH said we didn't need to bring in for the winter. <sigh> You can see the corner of one of the chairs. And on the left is the snow drift that has formed!

ahisma
02-18-2014, 07:18 PM
Ugh. A neighbor and I were joking the other night about renting a dumpster and bobcat and just putting all the snow from the street into the dumpster, and carting it off to the high school football field.
I'm currently advocating for going to Home Depot to rent a blowtorch to melt out the rest of the driveway.

They do both things here!

The city comes down our streets with heavy machinery to widen the street once the snow drifts narrow it enough to make it a headache. They pile it all up and then load it into dump trucks to cart off to a city park.

They also have a machine for the parking ramps that they load snow into. It melts the snow, but it only works if there's a drain available.

georgiegirl
02-18-2014, 07:56 PM
I'm so done with winter. We haven't had an insane amount of snow, but the temp has been super frigid half of the time. Yesterday was a 2 hour delay due to snow, today was 50, and Thursday we are supposed to get 5-7" of snow.

pinkmomagain
02-18-2014, 10:25 PM
We already have the leaks. It's bad. I am pretending that today was the last snow of the winter. And we booked a few days in florida in a few weeks just in case I'm wrong.

lizzywednesday
02-19-2014, 09:12 AM
Shoot. All the talk about snow dams has made me paranoid - one of my friend's roofs in the northern part of NJ had a leak yesterday (probably due to snow melt - it was downright balmy at 36*F) and we have a ton of ice on one corner of our roof. The corner of our roof that sits over the place where I work when I'm home.

I'm determinedly not complaining about the cold - I hate the heat a lot more.

LD92599
02-19-2014, 12:56 PM
My sister had a partial roof collapse in NJ; we've been up on our own roof (or trying to access from the deck and/or the bathroom window!) trying to remove what we can. Plus we have the roof heat cables on for the 2nd floor. It's scary stuff though and now it's pouring rain and expecting ALOT of rain on Friday. I hope it at least lowers the height of the existing snow piles!

Dream
02-19-2014, 01:16 PM
I've had enough too, I hate winter in general and this winter has been so bad. Its raining hard now, which should help melt the snow a bit. And I really feel we're done with the snow for this winter and since its been a strong winter I feel Spring might be early. Or maybe I'm day dreaming!!