PDA

View Full Version : Bra question

Green_Tea
02-18-2014, 05:07 PM
So I finally hauled myself to Nordstrom last night for a bra fitting. I had been wearing a 34B and measured a 34D! The bras the salesgirl chose for me definitely fit really well and give me great shape. I noticed today, though, that the area under my arm (below the armpit, near where the wire meets the side of the bra) feels irritated. My old bras were way skimpier than these new ones, and they didn't cover that area at all, so it may be that I just need to get used to the feel of a bra with more coverage. The band size is definitely snug enough, and the bras are quite comfortable otherwise. I'm not red or chafed, just irritated. I just took the one I was wearing off and put on a jog bra instead. Is this normal? I tried on a few brands and these were by far the best fit. They are Natori. Bra experts, what are your thoughts?

Neatfreak
02-18-2014, 05:10 PM
I am the same way, and it's reasonably common for new bras that are properly fitted. They take a few wearings to break in. One thing to check is that the wires are wide enough on the side and thus are not sitting on breast tissue.

Green_Tea
02-18-2014, 05:47 PM
I am the same way, and it's reasonably common for new bras that are properly fitted. They take a few wearings to break in. One thing to check is that the wires are wide enough on the side and thus are not sitting on breast tissue.

The wires are definitely wide enough. Glad to know it's common!

maylips
02-18-2014, 06:30 PM
That would worry me. Because if they are supposed to fit snug, then once they stretch out to be comfortable they will ride up or not be as supportive. I would maybe wear them one more time and then return them - there are plenty of other bras out there that should be a better fit if Natori's just aren't for you.

hillview
02-18-2014, 06:35 PM
That would worry me. Because if they are supposed to fit snug, then once they stretch out to be comfortable they will ride up or not be as supportive. I would maybe wear them one more time and then return them - there are plenty of other bras out there that should be a better fit if Natori's just aren't for you.
:yeahthat:

mikala
02-18-2014, 06:36 PM
I don't know if it's supposed to happen but I experienced something similar after I was fitted at a great local shop. I was irritated for maybe three days with the bra on the loosest hook and then it seemed to stretch a little and was perfect after that.

MelissaTC
02-18-2014, 11:04 PM
Sounds like it might not be the best bra for you. FWIW, I have a Natori bra that does not work for me and I regret not returning it. The straps are too thin for me and I wind up getting all red in the shoulders. I prefer Chantelle. Have you tried the Chantelle Rive Gauche 3281? It is my new favorite bra.

Green_Tea
02-18-2014, 11:15 PM
Sounds like it might not be the best bra for you. FWIW, I have a Natori bra that does not work for me and I regret not returning it. The straps are too thin for me and I wind up getting all red in the shoulders. I prefer Chantelle. Have you tried the Chantelle Rive Gauche 3281? It is my new favorite bra.

That's a gorgeous bra! I will try it next time I am at Nordstrom. I did try a Chantelle bra on, but it wasn't the right fit. The woman who did the fitting said that people are usually Chantelle wearers or Natori wearers.

Wore one of the Natoris out to dinner tonight and it was OK. Going to try again tomorrow, and then return if necessary.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Kindra178
02-18-2014, 11:42 PM
That's funny. I am a Natori girl. I love their tshirt bra.

KLD313
02-18-2014, 11:47 PM
Natori wasn't comfortable for me either and I'm a DD cup. I ended up with a Wacoal. It's very comfortable.

Tondi G
02-19-2014, 01:43 AM
I love my Wacoal bras!

wendibird22
02-19-2014, 12:46 PM
Another vote for Chantelle. 3286 is my fav style with 3386 being a close 2nd.

Green_Tea
02-19-2014, 02:39 PM
Still trying to decide... Nordstrom will take them back even if I have worn them a few times, right? I would definitely be exchanging for something else.

KLD313
02-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Still trying to decide... Nordstrom will take them back even if I have worn them a few times, right? I would definitely be exchanging for something else.

If you can figure out if it's comfortable it's probably not. That's how I was with the Natori. I would put it on and think well it will feel better once I wear it but it never did. That's how I ended up with the Wacoal.

Green_Tea
02-19-2014, 04:37 PM
If you can figure out if it's comfortable it's probably not. That's how I was with the Natori. I would put it on and think well it will feel better once I wear it but it never did. That's how I ended up with the Wacoal.

I think you're right.

legaleagle
02-19-2014, 09:40 PM
The wires may be too wide - many brands have them too wide for me (32f/ddd so big boobs small ribcage) so I stick with wacoal and chantelle now. I also cannot wear any molded bras at all - all 3 part aka cut & sewn for me. The wacoal alluring is a really great bra that doesn't show through with the seams. Her room.com has a great quiz that really breaks down breast shapes and recommendations.

WatchingThemGrow
02-19-2014, 10:25 PM
Thank you, legaleagle, for that awesome site! I want to spend more time figuring out my perfect bra!

Green_Tea
02-19-2014, 11:05 PM
Update - went back to Nordstrom tonight. Another sales associate confirmed that my measurements were correct and felt that the bras I had purchased fit well. I tried on every single Wacoal and Chantelle bra in the store. The cups on Chantelle bras don't fit me well. They gape at the top. The straps on the Wacoal bras are too wide and slip off my shoulders. We tried bigger cup sizes with smaller bands, but I really need a 34. 32 is too tight. So, I am back to Natori, which definitely fits the best of all the brands I've tried. The sales associate felt that my petite frame combined with my cup size means that I am just going to have to get used to a bra with more coverage and that there might be an adjustment period.

I will take the herroom.com quiz and see what they say!

ahisma
02-19-2014, 11:39 PM
Her room.com has a great quiz that really breaks down breast shapes and recommendations.

Thank you! I just used their tool and now understand why the only bra that I've found that fits does fit. Now I know what to look for, I've been driving myself mad trying to understand why I can't find more than one bra that fits.

SnuggleBuggles
02-19-2014, 11:41 PM
:( The Her room quiz took a while and to see your results you have to give your email. I suppose I could have given my spam email address but I wasn't thinking...I was just annoyed at the time waste. Just an FYI before anyone else does it.

twowhat?
02-20-2014, 03:47 PM
I have the small rib cage/big boobs ratio issue - I am a 28DD. Because of my weird sizing I have to buy online, and I use breakoutbras.com. Their CS is REALLY helpful. I have a Freya bras. They are these:

http://www.breakoutbras.com/product/Freya-Deco-Half-Cup-Underwire-Bra-4232/Underwire-Bras
http://www.breakoutbras.com/product/Freya-Lauren-Padded-Plunge-Underwire-Bra-4824/Underwire-Bras

They're great and were picked for me based on my "less mass on top" issue (i.e. really floppy boobs). They have more side coverage than I was used to (I used to wear 32B bras - I was SO in the wrong size!) but they do not irritate at all so I'd say if it's irritating after a couple of wears, it won't get better.

ahisma
02-21-2014, 08:07 PM
:( The Her room quiz took a while and to see your results you have to give your email. I suppose I could have given my spam email address but I wasn't thinking...I was just annoyed at the time waste. Just an FYI before anyone else does it.

It does, but the results were really helpful IMO. They explained the nuances of bras in a much better way than I've seen done before - online or through personal fittings. Incidentally, one of the recommended bras is one that I own and find fits the best, so it was at least anecdotally accurate.

Green_Tea
02-21-2014, 08:09 PM

They also send you a coupon for 10% off and the results of the quiz, so you can reference it again. Most of the bras I considered were at least $65 apiece, so 10% off could be helpful!