PDA

View Full Version : For all my friends with unusual/uncommon/misspelled names

KpbS
02-19-2014, 01:12 AM
You might enjoy this as much as I did. ;)

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jamipack/16-things-only-people-with-unique-names-will-under-ij8h

bigsis
02-19-2014, 02:12 AM
:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:
OMG!!! My DH was wondering what the heck I was laughing/crying for! Too freaking funny!!! It all applies to me! Ppl wonder why my kids have such easy names. Thanks so much for sharing!!! :hysterical: ((see #12))

niccig
02-19-2014, 02:29 AM
:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:
OMG!!! My DH was wondering what the heck I was laughing/crying for! Too freaking funny!!! It all applies to me! Ppl wonder why my kids have such easy names. Thanks so much for sharing!!! :hysterical: ((see #12))

This is my reaction too...it's a simple name, just spelt differently and I forever spell it out for people. Unfortunately, I didn't learn from this and DS's name is similar to more common name but with a different first letter - people mishear it and think it's the common name. Sorry DS.

JBaxter
02-19-2014, 07:17 AM
My name is spelled Jeana ( said like Gina) I do answer to Jenna and I have a 1st cousin who spells in Jeanna in the chat box on facebook. LOL I'm so laughing

klwa
02-19-2014, 08:04 AM
*laughs* Yep!

But I was a bad mom. DD1 has a name that everyone misspells. I named her the feminine version of the name, but EVERYONE wants to spell it as the male variant. It's the difference between an a and an o, but NO ONE can figure it out. Or else they call her by a completely different but similar name. *sigh* Even worse, we considered using the male variant of the name, but didn't want her to have to deal with people misspelling it all the time. :)

KHF
02-19-2014, 08:19 AM
:ROTFLMAO:So true. All of them! A few weeks ago, I received an art glass bowl from my company for 15 years of service. My name and 15 Years at XXX was engraved on it. My name was misspelled, of course. :angry-smiley-005:

DietCokeLover
02-19-2014, 09:10 AM
Yes! I can remember a lady who kept me when I was little arguing with me about how I spelled my name. She took it way too far and my dad hit the roof! Bye bye lady.

But my name is ALWAYS misspelled.

TxCat
02-19-2014, 09:41 AM
I've been going by my middle name for 25 years now, but at some places, like work, that list my first name, I still get panic attacks when people try to pronounce or spell it.

carolinacool
02-19-2014, 09:52 AM
Ha! So, so true.

ECMom
02-19-2014, 10:04 AM
My name is more common than it use to be but I got quite a few of these growing up.

DualvansMommy
02-19-2014, 10:29 AM
You made my morning!!!! It's so funny! #6, 9 and 12 I relate big time!

Growing up, it wasn't an issue as my name while not common in the late 70's and 80's, is very common nowadays. It's only when I moved Stateside when it all started :p

KHF
02-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Also, I thought I was making things easier on my kids by giving them easy-to-spell and pronounce names...and people still call DD either Laura or Lauren constantly. (Her name is Laurel, so far, so good with DS Nick :))

TwinFoxes
02-19-2014, 10:42 AM
Mine is pretty common, and I have a common alternate spelling. It just boggles my mind to see people write my name as I'm spelling it to them, and see them adding random letters that I didn't say. I was in my SIL's wedding, she misspelled my name in the program (I did not say a peep, but I almost blurted it out like two days before the wedding when I saw it!) My cousin who've I've known all her life, and was in my wedding, has never ONCE spelled my name correctly. It's bizarre. People have made comments about it being a "made up" spelling, as in my parents came up with it. Nope, it's been around as long as the other spelling, it's just less common.

At Starbucks I just make up a name.

JBaxter
02-19-2014, 10:45 AM
I spell mine and they STILL want to put 2 N's in it. Jean with an A on the end Not Jeanna not Jenna not Jena

BabbyO
02-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Hahaha...I spelled my name wrong 3 times the other day...ok it was because I was typing too fast, but still funny. People usually pronounce my name fine (Daphne) but they never spell it correctly. I get lots of extra letters; f, i, a, and y are the most common. My last name is even crazier.

My boys have VERY simple, classic names. Stachio is fine, people don't mess it up, but Peanut, not so much. Peanut's name has a Male variant spelling and a female variant spelling. They are not interchangeable. People ALWAYS spell his name using the female variant. It kinda drives me nuts - like, do you not realize he's a boy??

AnnieW625
02-19-2014, 12:40 PM
My DD1 is going to fall into this trap and she is not quite 8, and the funny thing her name isn't all that uncommon at least among Hispanic or Italian countries, but in America it is mispelled or mispronouced as Alyssa, or Alicia. DD1 won't answer to either especially Alicia. Drives her bonkers. Her last name isn't going to make things any easier either. You can take out the A and replace it with an I and then add a second I and you have an Italian last name, if you just add an I you have a common Mexican last name. We have also gotten a pretty common Indian last name as well.

I used to get called Amy instead of Annie a lot too, esp. in high school where there were always at least one Amy in each one of my classes. Both of my maiden and married names have thrown people for a loop too.

squimp
02-19-2014, 01:12 PM
I spell mine and they STILL want to put 2 N's in it. Jean with an A on the end Not Jeanna not Jenna not Jena

I must admit I don't know how to say your name - is it like Jean with an "a" on the end?

And my name is a variant of yours, so I can sympathize. I totally have a "pizza" name. This is why I gave DD a common, classic name that is never mispronounced.

trentsmom
02-19-2014, 02:35 PM
That was great! I have an unusual first name, and both my maiden and married last names are unusual. When I type my name in Google, it's always me! I remember answering "here" in school as soon as there was a pause. My SIL gave me great advice about my last name - spell it immediately instead of saying it. When people hear my last name, they automatically start spelling it incorrectly. And I have given my sons very easy to spell and pronounce first names.

123LuckyMom
02-19-2014, 02:42 PM
This was great! Thanks for posting, OP! The only thing that's great about having an unusual name is that when telemarketers call and mangle it, I just say, "I'm sorry. There's nobody here by that name" and hang up!

In school I had an English teacher who insisted my name was Simone. It's not! He would have conversations with my mother where he would correct her.

Teacher: How's Simone doing?
Mom: Oh, Correct Name is doing very well.
Teacher: Well, please send Simone (emphasized so as to help my mother know she's the one making the mistake!) my love.

He saw my name spelled a million times. There's no way you could pronounce the letters of my name as Simone. You're an AP English teacher. Sound it out!

JBaxter
02-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Jean w/ short a sound exactly like Gina The reason WHY its not spelled Gina is ..... wait for it.... My mom didn't like the make cursive G's I say Jean with an A very often when I have to spell my name.
I must admit I don't know how to say your name - is it like Jean with an "a" on the end?

And my name is a variant of yours, so I can sympathize. I totally have a "pizza" name. This is why I gave DD a common, classic name that is never mispronounced.