PDA

View Full Version : Beaches this summer - NE, Cape Cod or Hilton Head

glbb35
02-19-2014, 12:18 PM
We are looking at doing a week vaca with the kids to a beach this summer. We are thinking about Hilton Head or even going north to the Cape Cod area. Suggestions, reviews, ideas? We hope to find some place that is kid friendly, have nice beaches, less touristy beaches, but still places to go and visit things since we will have the kids with us.

I can't decide if we want to head south or go up north. We would be looking the first week of August.

Ideas, suggestions etc.. especially since we are a larger family Thanks!!!!

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09, 11

ilfaith
02-19-2014, 02:07 PM
Do you mind cold water?

The ocean off the Cape really doesn't warm up until late summer, and can still be pretty chilly in early August. Of course I live in Florida now, and have been spoiled to the point that even the waters off the Jersey Shore feels cold to me. But I did spend part of every summer growing up in Massachusetts, and remember the ocean being quite bracing.

Hilton Head will be much warmer...almost tropical...in August.

acmom
02-19-2014, 02:21 PM
No experience with Hilton head in August (we have been in April, May and June), but we LOVE it there. Have been going alsnost every year since I was little. It is great for kids and large families...there really is something for everyone. We go with my parents and my dads extended family many years and have gone with friends too.

candaceb
02-19-2014, 03:52 PM
We go to the Cape and I agree with the PP that the water is freezing in the ocean. Ponds are OK but someone always ends up with a stomach bug when we swim in ponds... In addition, I think with a large family, going south would be a lot less expensive. Cape Cod is ridiculously expensive. Groceries at the supermarket are easily 25% more than they are at home,2.5 hours away.

mommylamb
02-19-2014, 04:30 PM
We always went to the Cape in October when I was a kid, and I do love it up there. But it's expensive and crowded in the summer. Lots to do though.

I now take my family to the Outer Banks in NC every year. It's very low key, but the beaches are beautiful and not super crowded. There is enough to do, but it's very relaxing. I've never gone to Hilton Head though, but have heard it's nice.

ryanmom
02-21-2014, 09:29 AM
We went to Bald Head Island once and it was fantastic-- just an alternative. There are no cars allowed on island (everyone drives around on golf carts of bikes). The beaches were absolutely gorgeous. There is an old fort to explore and tons of cool wildlife. It seems much less known. We've been trying to get back ever since!

egoldber
02-21-2014, 09:36 AM
I've never been to Hilton Head, but if you're willing to go that far, I would consider the beaches near Charleston: Kiawah, Isle of Palms, Folly, etc. We love that area and it is my fav beach area. We haven't been in several years because it is a long drive for us, but when the kids are a little older, we'll go there again. :)