PDA

View Full Version : ZLots of ?? about Potty training!

DualvansMommy
02-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Bear with my long post and if you get to read til the end, I appreciated it!!!

DS1 will be 3 early June this year and is not potty trained yet for pee and poop, although he started talking and showing mild interest around Thanksgiving/Xmas time, DH wanted to start him PT then but i held off as i felt he wasn't really completely ready plus had the impending baby's birth to deal with too.

Now, he tells me whenever he poops and wants a diaper change every time it happens, although he doesn't tell me whenever he pees though. It isn't consistent enough, but enough to get me thinking perhaps train him to PT with pee at least now??

i'm thinking pull ups would be good to start him off, as that way he can pull his "diaper" down to pee and i'll deal with #2 training down the road once he's solid with PT #1. if Pull-ups isn't a good idea, how do i get him to focus on going to pee as opposed to focusing on pooping first? as that's seem to be his main concern.

but…here's my but, i've read past threads from you here where a good percentage isn't crazy with pull-ups route, so that's where i'm lost in how to approach it. DS is a rule follower kiddo, doesn't like messes (i.e always insist on getting me to change his diaper THAT moment whenever he poops) so i'm thinking it should be relatively easy??

or should i hold off till it's late spring when it's warm and just go cold turkey into underwear and deal with accidents as i go on? advice or tips would be greatly appreciated here.

he isn't going into the public pre-K this fall, but will be starting pre-k in DH's work child center next month. So, there isn't a rush to get him PT at all, as they're ok with kiddos in diapers in that particular classroom.

like i said, i appreciate your reading my post and any BTDT advice. BTW, we have the bjoorn potty already, so we're set in that respect.

123LuckyMom
02-19-2014, 02:50 PM
I think if he's not liking having a dirty diaper, you're in a very good position! I don't like pull-ups and would go cold turkey to underpants, but I'd just do it now and with both pee and poop. There's no reason to train those separately! A lot of kids won't poop in the potty so their parents have to struggle with that so as to protect their health, but if your son wants to get rid of his poops, hooray!

Has he used a potty at all? If not, get it out and start letting him use it. Once he's done it, take him to the store and let him pick out a bunch of undies he really likes. Then just let him wear them. Make sure you put him on the potty every 1.5-2 hours at first. He won't want to soil his beloved undies, and it'll all be good.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-19-2014, 03:26 PM
i agree with PP. pullups are a waste of money IMO (one of kids teachers called them "very expensive diapers that leak"). we got a few samples and DS didn't even like them.

we are in the process of training DD who will be 3 in few weeks. She is wearing underwear at home and having few accidents. The shcool really helps bc the teachers help her to go on the potty. The best thing is that she is willing to poop in the potty. OMG, i can't tell you how amazing that is..bc as PP said, many kids (like my DS) would REFUSE refuse refuse to poop in the potty. DS was pee trained for MONTHS (as in 3-4 months) before he consistently pooped on the potty. DD has been pooping in the potty for over a week now which makes things easier. Pee is harder for her and she has more accidents with those, which is ok by me at this point as they are easier to clean up :)

lizzywednesday
02-19-2014, 03:26 PM
I feel like Pull-Ups hurt our daughter's progress - they do not feel wet like underpants and are more expensive than diapers!

The only time we use them now are for overnights.

We also had no issues with DD going poop at school (daycare) which was good.

trcy
02-19-2014, 09:23 PM
I feel like Pull-Ups hurt our daughter's progress - they do not feel wet like underpants and are more expensive than diapers!
The only time we use them now are for overnights.:yeahthat: If I had to do it all over again, I would skip pull-ups and go straight to underpants.
I had the same concern about DD not telling me about pee. What I did with DD was to put her on the potty every half hour and lots praise when she went. Stickers were a major currency for her. I slowly extended the time between going to the potty and eventually she started to tell me she had to go. Luckily we never had any issues with pooping on the potty, so we just worked on both at the same time. DD has had very few accidents. I say go cold turkey and see how it goes. You should know pretty quickly if he is ready or not. If not you can go back to diapers.

Simon
02-20-2014, 04:43 PM
I was in a similar boat just last week. Debating between waiting for summer (above freezing temps) and starting now. I vote for jumping in with both feet only if YOU feel ready. We just did some cold-turkey PT with Ds3 and it worked well, though its only been 4 days so I'm not sure how it will all play out. We had introduced the potty before so he knew the basics of what it is used for. I just decided on Monday to put him in underwear full time and see what happened. He did have several accidents on day 1 and a few day 2. Day 3 he was dry and today too, though he maybe wet a diaper this morning (he's sick and we went to the Dr in a diaper). Currently, its always underwear at home and trips out of the house are 50/50. But, the main change is that we treat diapers like back-up and still ask him about the need to go/take him to the potty when we're away from home. He is napping in underwear but we're using diapers overnight. I'm not big on waiting to PT and he's the oldest of my kids to make the transition so I was feeling ready and felt pretty sure he could handle the change. We've only used pull ups with older kids who are already PT and just need back up like in a hotel bed or on a long car ride where rest stops are far apart.