PDA

View Full Version : fetal heart decelerations?

theriviera
02-19-2014, 06:17 PM
So I spent yesterday afternoon in L&D after a routine OB appointment. When the OB (not my regular doc, he's on vacation) listened to the fetal heart rate with the doppler, she heard the heart rate drop way down, and then go back up again. It happened 2x. To be safe, she sent me to L&D for a NST. NST looked great (they planned to do it for 30 min) until minute 27, when another deceleration happened. They ordered an u/s to check fluid levels and everything looked good.

Has anyone had this happen? Is this something I should be worried about? I asked the nurse that did the NST but I haven't had a chance to talk to my doctor.

Thanks.

Indianamom2
02-19-2014, 06:41 PM
Hmm, I don't have any real experience here, but I wonder if it could be a cord issue? I know DD had the cord wrapped around her neck at birth, but otherwise, I have no experience. I hope you are able to get some answers and reassurance.

HannaAddict
02-19-2014, 09:28 PM
Yes. It can be something or can be nothing. It is a sign of distress, could be serious or something that passes. Did they view the cord? Blood flow in the cord? Make sure it was not twisted or wrapped? Did they have you move around to see if he or she would shift? Did they get a good stretch of time monitoring you with no decels? Do you have a follow-up appt? Pay close attention to kicks and movement and if any changes call and go in right away. How far along are you? Hope everything is okay. I actually am amazed you didn't talk to a doctor before letting you leave, that is not the norm with my OB's practice no matter what doctor I see. I would call and ask to talk to a doctor, they usually have a time to call back patients after seeing clients. Good luck.

AngB
02-19-2014, 11:32 PM
DS1 had some big ugly decelerations around 30-32 wks. It was my first pregnancy after losing our dd so it scared the crap out of us. I was already high risk and being monitored super closely even before the decels. (NST's with fluid checks 2x weekly, MFM appointments weekly, OB appointments weekly..so like 4 appointments a week.)
My MFM said they wouldn't/don't deliver for decels without any other signs of distress or problems, not that they like to see decels but there are a lot of things it could be and even if the baby's cord was wrapped around their neck they don't usually deliver early for that either.
In our case, we suspect the cord was by DS1's face and he was grabbing it (heart rate dropping when he grabbed the cord for a second, then going back to normal when he let it go)..because we have an ultrasound with his face right next to the cord. When he moved positions a few days later we never had issues with decels again.

theriviera
02-20-2014, 12:06 AM
Yes. It can be something or can be nothing. It is a sign of distress, could be serious or something that passes. Did they view the cord? Blood flow in the cord? Make sure it was not twisted or wrapped? Did they have you move around to see if he or she would shift? Did they get a good stretch of time monitoring you with no decels? Do you have a follow-up appt? Pay close attention to kicks and movement and if any changes call and go in right away. How far along are you? Hope everything is okay. I actually am amazed you didn't talk to a doctor before letting you leave, that is not the norm with my OB's practice no matter what doctor I see. I would call and ask to talk to a doctor, they usually have a time to call back patients after seeing clients. Good luck.

I'm 29 weeks. I didn't see the doctor at the hospital, but the nurse was talking to her. I may call her tomorrow or call the MFM doctor that has done my ultrasounds. He said I could call with any questions, and I'm not sure that they truly looked at the cord. It seemed like they only measured the fluid.

DS1 had some big ugly decelerations around 30-32 wks. It was my first pregnancy after losing our dd so it scared the crap out of us. I was already high risk and being monitored super closely even before the decels. (NST's with fluid checks 2x weekly, MFM appointments weekly, OB appointments weekly..so like 4 appointments a week.)
My MFM said they wouldn't/don't deliver for decels without any other signs of distress or problems, not that they like to see decels but there are a lot of things it could be and even if the baby's cord was wrapped around their neck they don't usually deliver early for that either.
In our case, we suspect the cord was by DS1's face and he was grabbing it (heart rate dropping when he grabbed the cord for a second, then going back to normal when he let it go)..because we have an ultrasound with his face right next to the cord. When he moved positions a few days later we never had issues with decels again.

This is reassuring, thank you. I think I'll call the MFM doctor that has done my ultrasounds. He always lets me know I can call him for anything, and since my regular doctor is out I feel more comfortable calling him.

AngB
02-20-2014, 12:25 AM
I'm 29 weeks. I didn't see the doctor at the hospital, but the nurse was talking to her. I may call her tomorrow or call the MFM doctor that has done my ultrasounds. He said I could call with any questions, and I'm not sure that they truly looked at the cord. It seemed like they only measured the fluid.

This is reassuring, thank you. I think I'll call the MFM doctor that has done my ultrasounds. He always lets me know I can call him for anything, and since my regular doctor is out I feel more comfortable calling him.

29 weeks sounds just about right for when we were having issues with the decels. I definitely don't think it would hurt to give the MFM a call. They can either put your mind at ease or determine what further monitoring you need.

HannaAddict
02-20-2014, 12:29 AM
I agree that you should call. And the doctor will be happy to talk with you I'm sure. With my first, I hesitated with calling about some questions and my husband told her at one visit and she said CALL and was serious about it. I have a great OB and it was reassuring to talk to her or come in for a check when warranted.

PZMommy
02-22-2014, 12:58 AM
Checking for an update...

theriviera
02-22-2014, 01:19 AM
Well I called the mfm yesterday but never got a call back. I'm not happy about that. However, baby has been moving well which is reassuring. My ob is back in the office on Monday and I plan on calling him then. Thanks for checking on me!

petesgirl
02-22-2014, 03:49 AM
Well I called the mfm yesterday but never got a call back. I'm not happy about that. However, baby has been moving well which is reassuring. My ob is back in the office on Monday and I plan on calling him then. Thanks for checking on me!

Wow, seriously? No one called back? That's very upsetting.

PZMommy
02-25-2014, 08:51 PM
Were you able yo talk yo your OB? That is awful your MFM didn't call back. Are you sure they got the message??