PDA

View Full Version : big kid backpack?

Melaine
02-20-2014, 08:47 AM
What do your 2nd-4th graders carry for a backpack? We have liked the GH jr. Size for last year and this but next year they will definitely need a size upgrade. I was looking at the Bonton sale where the Wildkin ones are BOGO...if it works with the $50 off coupon that might be irresistible but I am not sure about the brand. Do any kids use rolling backpacks at this age?

dogmom
02-20-2014, 09:05 AM
My son is a little tall, so when 3rd grade came around I was looking for a deal to replace his LE back pack that was getting small for him. I got an LLBean wrong that says age 15, I don't know what I was thinking. I balked when I saw it, but we used it and now he is in 5th grade I am so glad I got it. He has plenty of room for his books, his lunch, and his hoodie and other stuff he shoves in there for the day. Just to be clear, he never thought it was too big for him. It still holds up great after 2 1/2 years. I suspect it will make it through all of middle school, then we will probably want something cooler for HS.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/64781?feat=506229-GN2&page=super-deluxe-book-pack

KrisM
02-20-2014, 09:06 AM
DD has a Wildkin this year for 2nd grade. It's worked well, but does have a small tear in it near the zipper. It will make it through 2nd grade, but she'll need something else for 3rd.

I don't see any rolling backpacks at our schools.

o_mom
02-20-2014, 09:15 AM
They have Lands End Featherlight Mediums. I expect they will last the rest of elementary and probably into middle school. The LE backpack DS1 took in K is still being used by DS3 (so it's in the fifth year of continuous use).

AnnieW625
02-20-2014, 09:55 AM
Dd1 has had a Lands End Study Haul (I think this is the Classmate Medium now) since kindergarten and it could definitely get her through the 3rd grade, if not 4th grade, but we will most likely be replacing it after this year with something like an LL Bean or Jansport Classic style backpack that will get her to at least middle school. In the 4th-5th grade at DD1's school rolling backpacks are popular.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

egoldber
02-20-2014, 09:59 AM
Both my kids have an LLBean Critter, now discontinued. I think it's (about) the size of the LLBean Original. Older DD had had hers since 3rd or 4th grade. She did use a rolling deluxe for a couple years, but can't using a rolling pack in middle school.

SASM
02-20-2014, 10:15 AM
We always use LL Bean backpacks. If you have an outlet nearby, they are crazy cheap and, if necessary, the embroidery is easily removable.

KpbS
02-20-2014, 10:21 AM
Another LL Bean formerly critter pack now Discovery I think. Awesome bags with fantastic guarantees.

SnuggleBuggles
02-20-2014, 10:26 AM
Lands End Featherlight though I think the original LL Bean ones are better constructed. The Lands End one has been in use for 4 years but it's falling apart. My 20 year old LL Bean still is like new.

Rolling backpacks are not allowed at our school.

arivecchi
02-20-2014, 11:01 AM
We like the Explorer backpack:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/78930?feat=818-CL1&page=explorer-backpack-print

We also just got one of these in the matrix print for $20 at our local store:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62777?feat=818-CL1&page=deluxe-book-pack-print&attrValue_0=Black Matrix

MommyAllison
02-20-2014, 12:29 PM
Dd1 has the regular size GH backpack and it is plenty big (note that we homeschool, so hers is used for workbooks, pencil box, math manipulatives, drawing pad, pocket microscope but it does have room for some curriculum if we need to take school elsewhere). She used it for day camp last summer and everything fit nicely.

fauve01
02-20-2014, 01:57 PM
10YO DD (4th grade) has LE Class Mate large.
http://www.landsend.com/products/solid-classmate-large-backpack/id_254867?sku_0=::15P

we got it this year to replace the LE featherlight that she got in first grade. I forced her to get a new one, because the elastic on the mesh pockets had stretched out. otherwise, it was in great shape, no holes or tears, washed great and looked like new. the bottom was barely scratched. we didn't get another featherlight because the style changed slightly and dd liked the look of the Class Mate. the old one is now her "travel backpack" and she still uses it for stuff other than school.

we LOVE Land's End backpacks. Quality is fantastic. I won't hesitate to buy again. we've always gotten the large size so there's room for the lunch box and jacket and whatever extra stuff we need in addition to the school binder and text books. they haven't ever felt/been too big for DD to carry.

Wheeled backpacks are allowed at our school, but there aren't too many because the kids find them annoying (to lift up and down curbs and into cars, and also they are always on someone's heels or rolling over someone). Also, the middle school doesn't allow them.

ETA: lands end is having their friends and family sale now, 25% off. there is a post in bargains with details:
Save 25% on Lands' End merchandise. Offer valid Feb 18-24, 2014.
Free shipping every day on orders over $50
Promotion code: FAMILY
PIN: 3245

Kindra178
02-20-2014, 02:17 PM
10YO DD (4th grade) has LE Class Mate large.
http://www.landsend.com/products/solid-classmate-large-backpack/id_254867?sku_0=::15P

we got it this year to replace the LE featherlight that she got in first grade. I forced her to get a new one, because the elastic on the mesh pockets had stretched out. otherwise, it was in great shape, no holes or tears, washed great and looked like new. the bottom was barely scratched. we didn't get another featherlight because the style changed slightly and dd liked the look of the Class Mate. the old one is now her "travel backpack" and she still uses it for stuff other than school.

we LOVE Land's End backpacks. Quality is fantastic. I won't hesitate to buy again. we've always gotten the large size so there's room for the lunch box and jacket and whatever extra stuff we need in addition to the school binder and text books. they haven't ever felt/been too big for DD to carry.

Wheeled backpacks are allowed at our school, but there aren't too many because the kids find them annoying (to lift up and down curbs and into cars, and also they are always on someone's heels or rolling over someone). Also, the middle school doesn't allow them.

ETA: lands end is having their friends and family sale now, 25% off. there is a post in bargains with details:
Save 25% on Lands' End merchandise. Offer valid Feb 18-24, 2014.
Free shipping every day on orders over $50
Promotion code: FAMILY
PIN: 3245

The LE Classmate is the best backpack ever. So many kid friendly features. Fauve, I wish we got the large for second grade. Ds has to carry size 8 snow bibs and sneakers every day. There is room for the planet box, snow bibs, library books, folder, sneakers and hats/gloves, but it requires extra stuffing that ds does not prefer.

citymama
02-20-2014, 02:29 PM
We continued to use the GH Junior for second grade. DD1 is starting 3rd grade this Fall and I have promised her a new backpack. I will look at either GH again (our Junior held up amazingly) or LE if she will agree to something plain.

GaPeach_in_Ca
02-20-2014, 03:10 PM
DS (4th grade) just upgraded from the LL Bean Critter pack (3.5 school years of use!) to the LL Bean Deluxe Book Pack. It is nice and roomy. The critter just got too tight with his binder, math book and lunch box.
Deluxe Book Pack (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62852?feat=book pack-SR0&page=deluxe-book-pack)

I think this will get us through at least another 3.5 years.

An aside, both DS have this lunch box and it fits all of our reusable containers great!
Flip Top Lunch Box (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70684?feat=flip top lunch box-SR0&page=flip-top-lunch-box)

Melaine
03-03-2014, 03:09 PM
Oh thanks for all the feedback! I really wish we could keep the Jr. backpacks but because classes are only two days a week and there is no on site storage they have a pretty heavy load. We can barely fit what they have this year so I do think we will have to upgrade. What I may do is try to squeeze it in for the first few weeks of school and just watch for clearance. Unless I see an amazing deal before that!

MamaKath
03-03-2014, 04:51 PM
Fwiw, our LE backpacks have not held up great (various bags, various years). I have found the LE totes held up well! Our LLBean backpacks have worn like iron and washed up great! The critter pack (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70468?feat=5729-GN2&page=critter-pack) lasted 5 years between 2 kids before it was just too small (looked great still) and we have a couple of Deluxe (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62209?feat=5729-GN2&page=deluxe-book-pack-print) that are great. The one that looked dingy and worn after a number of years of hard use was the wheeled pack- it couldn't go through the wash. We did eventually dump that one.

ETA- Places like Marshalls and TJMaxx often have decent backpacks like Under Armour. Also they have small rolling luggage reasonably if you need wheeled bags.

KrisM
03-03-2014, 06:52 PM
I just realized that DS1 has a LE Featherweight that is ripping at the handle and zipper and the mesh pockets are tearing. It's his 2nd year of it. We like it otherwise, but it's not the highest quality.

DS1 got a LLB Critter when he was 2.5. He used it through preschool and up to 2nd grade when he wanted a new one. DS2 is now using it in kindergarten and it is in really good shape. I'm very impressed with it.

vludmilla
03-03-2014, 07:35 PM
DD has the regular or full size GH backpack. It fits everything she needs to 2nd grade with room to spare.

lmintzer
03-03-2014, 08:59 PM
The LE Classmate is the best backpack ever. So many kid friendly features. Fauve, I wish we got the large for second grade. Ds has to carry size 8 snow bibs and sneakers every day. There is room for the planet box, snow bibs, library books, folder, sneakers and hats/gloves, but it requires extra stuffing that ds does not prefer.

My 10-year-old 4th grader also has the LE Classmate. At his school, they have to lug a jam-packed 2 inch binder home every day. So that goes in the bag plus library books, math or LA journals, and his lunch. It is a tight squeeze, but that is A LOT of stuff. I like that it has a chest strap for extra security and to help better distribute the load. Also, the shoulder straps are nice and padded!

My 7th grader has a the featherlight LA bag in the largest size you can buy. That works well for him.