PDA

View Full Version : How much sunblock would you bring on vacation?

khalloc
02-20-2014, 12:22 PM
We are heading to T&C next week and I'm trying to figure out how much sunblock I need. Will 2 spray bottles and 1 8 oz bottle of lotion be enough? I have other smaller tubes for faces. Then I have 2 less than 1/2 full cans. One of them is almost empty. Should I buy a 3rd car of sunblock spray? The kids like the spray and its the easiest to get on them quickly. I am not concerned with the SkinDeep database so please dont bring that up. If I buy more sunblock, it would be a spray bottle.

I'm thinking I should get 1 more can. We have 2 adults, 2 kids and we are all fair-skinned.

egoldber
02-20-2014, 12:28 PM
When we go to the beach, I like to bring 2 full eight ounce bottles of lotion and 2 spray bottles.

I use the lotion in the house/room before we head out to the beach and I use the spray to re-apply at the beach. Once they get sandy, I think it's really hard to use the lotion. Although I do use the lotion on their faces vs. the spray.

Momit
02-20-2014, 12:36 PM
I always figure more is better, so I would bring one more bottle for sure.

kwc
02-20-2014, 01:16 PM
If you are sending your kids to a resort kids club, I would bring more or divide into smaller bottles.
DS inevitably looses a full bottle of sunscreen on the first day and usually 1 or 2 more... sometimes they reappear at the end of the week! Too late!

fauve01
02-20-2014, 01:45 PM
When we go to the beach, I like to bring 2 full eight ounce bottles of lotion and 2 spray bottles.

I use the lotion in the house/room before we head out to the beach and I use the spray to re-apply at the beach. Once they get sandy, I think it's really hard to use the lotion. Although I do use the lotion on their faces vs. the spray.

:yeahthat: i do the same thing. full bottles of lotion we put on in the room before we go, and spray bottles in the beach bag (I love the kind for wet skin). we also throw a sunscreen stick in the bag for faces.

I think more is better RE: sunscreen when on vacation. if you're going out of the US, sunscreen is crazy expensive if you have to buy more there! you said you're all fair-skinned. the sun is hotter somehow down in the carribbean. get an extra two-pack of spray and throw it in your bag. you can always return it when you get home.

Take hats too! have fun. :)

maestramommy
02-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Depends on where I'm going. To a beach vacation I'd bring 2 full sized tubes. At least.

liz
02-20-2014, 01:46 PM

:yeahthat: We apply same as PP. I buy the large cans from BJ's (Coppertone Kids version, 7.5-8 oz each). I bring 2 cans/bottles each and we usually come home with 1/2 bottle of lotion and spray.

MMMommy
02-20-2014, 02:26 PM
How long is the trip? I find that we end up needing more of the spray bottles because we end up using that at the pool/beach more than the lotion. We use the lotion (when possible) for initial application in the hotel room. But for reapplication, we all want to use the spray because it is quick, easy and less sticky. The spray bottles seem to run out fast, so I would bring more of them. Resorts always charge a ridiculous premium on sunscreen, so I would avoid buying any there.

georgiegirl
02-20-2014, 02:41 PM
It also depends on whether your kids have rash guards. We didn't use that much sunblock on our recent trip because I kept DS in a long sleeve rash guard, DD was in half long sleeve and half short sleeve, and DH even had a rash guard (short sleeve) and so did I.

khalloc
02-20-2014, 02:44 PM
It also depends on whether your kids have rash guards. We didn't use that much sunblock on our recent trip because I kept DS in a long sleeve rash guard, DD was in half long sleeve and half short sleeve, and DH even had a rash guard (short sleeve) and so did I.

No kids club here. We are renting a house. The kids do wear rashguards also. I forgot about that even though I already have them parked. I think I will get 1 more bottle of spray. Thanks all! My kids hate the lotion.

MamaMolly
02-20-2014, 02:47 PM
Better to have too much than to not have enough. I'd get another bottle. :)

mikala
02-20-2014, 03:44 PM
I always err on the side of too much and at least take a full sized bottle per person. I refuse to pay $20 for a $5 bottle of Banana Boat and don't want to worry about conserving it to make our supply last.

Have a great trip!

drako
02-20-2014, 03:53 PM
I would bring at least 4. The sun is so much stronger there than here. And why worry about burning. Although I know it's not far from Florida! I am jealous...I want to go to T&C so badly!!

jerseygirl07067
02-20-2014, 10:21 PM
We live in FL and go to the beach often. If we don't have rashguards, our family of 5 will go through more than half a can of sunscreen in one day, a bit less if they wear the rashguards. So the most we'd get out of one spray can is two days. I know the s/s in the can has more chemical sunscreen vs zinc, but it's just sooo much easier esp when at the beach. If we're at the pool and I don't have as much stuff to schlep I'll often use the lotion. So if we were going to be at the beach for a week, I'd make sure to have a least 3 cans on hand and a large tube/bottle. I then use zinc oxide sticks for their faces, that does last a while, I think we'd get at week out of one for sure.

At least you can always buy more if you run out, but those resort places always charge an arm and a leg. And I usually have the kids wear rashguards too. So much easier!