PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal after immunization ?

babyfiorina1
02-20-2014, 12:55 PM
DS had his 4-month shot last monday Dtap, Hib, Hep B, Polio, Rotavirus, and Pneumococcal and had low grade fever the first two days and I gave him baby tylenol. He's been very fussy since monday night and today, thursday, no more fever, he is still very fussy and just sleepy most of the time. He is EBF and hasn't been wanting to nurse much other than nursing for comfort. I'm worrying about my milk supply, trying to pump but don't get much either. I just want to know if his fussiness and drowsiness are normal and it's day 3, so, I'm getting worried. Thank you so much.

amom526
02-20-2014, 01:39 PM
Sounds typical of how my kids react. I noticed that they were still sleepy/in rotten moods until up to a week or two later.

daisymommy
02-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Really?! For a week? And not wanting to nurse or eat? Doesn't that concern anyone but me?

Sent from my iPad

JBaxter
02-20-2014, 05:30 PM
Grumpy dont want to eat fevers dont sleep well screaming. 8 things to have to deal with is a lot for little bodies. Some vaccines react up to 2 weeks Thing is you dont really know what they are reacting to with all those immunizations.

Yup I was very concerned thats way we are as delayed with Jack as we are.

westwoodmom04
02-20-2014, 05:40 PM
I think 3 or 4 days of fussiness is normal, but it gets less as they get older. If you are at all nervous, call your ped.

elektra
02-20-2014, 06:08 PM
I would call the advice nurse, only because of the eating. I imagine a little fussiness just 3 days after the shot is normal but I think the not eating thing would concern me.

sanja973
02-20-2014, 08:45 PM
Something like that happened with my firstborn (it lasted 2-3 days) and I decided to split vaccines. We never again get more than 2 at once (or just one at a time if it was combo). It is time consuming but so worth it. Hope your DS feels well soon.

ShanaMama
02-20-2014, 09:21 PM
I think fussiness is pretty standard up to a week. My peds office gives me a heads up whic shots cause what symptoms so you can be prepared. I forget which one but one shot causes fever at ten days. The nurse tells me to markup calendar so parents don't get worrie at the sudden fever. You can certainly call your Ped if you're concerned.
I do try to give only 1-2 shots at a time. Dr. Sears vaccine book is a great educational resource which is not anti vax or fear mongery at all.

lmh2402
02-20-2014, 09:24 PM
i'd give the office a call to discuss the not eating for sure. that's a LOT of shots for one visit!! poor little guy, and poor worried mama. hope he feels better soon.

BabyBearsMom
02-20-2014, 09:43 PM
It sounds like she picked up a little something at the doctor. I would call

TwoBees
02-20-2014, 11:38 PM
I'd call, if even just for peace of mind.

Something like that happened with my firstborn (it lasted 2-3 days) and I decided to split vaccines. We never again get more than 2 at once (or just one at a time if it was combo). It is time consuming but so worth it. Hope your DS feels well soon.

:yeahthat:

We split vaccines too...no more than one combo or two singles in any visit (although for DD2's 2-month visit, we did one combo and one single oral because it was not systemic). I'm very pro vaccine, but strongly feel that little bodies don't need to be hit with so much at one time.

I hope your DS feels better soon!

babyfiorina1
02-27-2014, 09:40 PM
I'd call, if even just for peace of mind.

:yeahthat:

We split vaccines too...no more than one combo or two singles in any visit (although for DD2's 2-month visit, we did one combo and one single oral because it was not systemic). I'm very pro vaccine, but strongly feel that little bodies don't need to be hit with so much at one time.

I hope your DS feels better soon!

Thank you all. I did give the nurse a call at day 4 and she didn't seem to concern, well now we are at day 11, he's eating okay and everything, just still seems to be tired and want to sleep as soon as up for just one hour. I will definitely split the vaccines next time. I'm pro vaccine too but sure is a lot of vaccines for that little body to handle

essnce629
02-27-2014, 10:44 PM
Thank you all. I did give the nurse a call at day 4 and she didn't seem to concern, well now we are at day 11, he's eating okay and everything, just still seems to be tired and want to sleep as soon as up for just one hour.

Was this not the norm beforehand? I've been an infant nanny for a lot of little babies and pretty much all of them start getting tired and ready for a nap at around the 1 hour mark and most are asleep by the 90 minute mark. I love the book "The 90-Minute Baby Sleep Program" and it talks specifically about the sleep cycles of babies and how they reset every 90 minutes, with younger babies getting sleepy before that mark.

But if this was not the norm beforehand then I would be concerned. Is he happy and active during the times he is awake?

Nooknookmom
02-28-2014, 03:51 AM

I did the same w/ dd2. Dd1 is 18 and they did NOT give a millon vax at once back then. Even so if she got 3 she was feverish, cranky, would t eat, sleepy etc.

With dd2 she had a lot of other issues going on so we staggered her vax. Helped out.

Sorry I know it's hard to see our little babes cry and feel ill :(

westwoodmom04
02-28-2014, 10:10 AM
Personally, I would have a long talk with your pediatrician about splitting vaccines. With the reemergence of measles, whooping cough, etc. ., I'd rather have my kid protected , and go through a day or two of fussiness. Some of the things you are complaining about may just be due to teething or a growth spurt and not be related to the vaccines at all.

SnuggleBuggles
02-28-2014, 10:28 AM
We split vaccines. Many of us just went back every 3-4 weeks. So, yes, it's a small window to gamble w no coverage but people aren't saying months and years. Long enough to see if there's a reaction and better pinpoint the cause.

JBaxter
02-28-2014, 10:44 AM
DTap & MMR were ONLY shots for us. Those are way to reactive to mix with others. Like SnuggleBuggles said many of us went back for "nurse/shot" visits. Mine were more like 3 months apart for Jack but lots of friends went back after 6 weeks to get the other shots. I think my ped wanted a minimum of 4 weeks between visits.

mommylamb
02-28-2014, 10:48 AM
I am very pro vaccine, but I don't see any problem with splitting vaccines up so long as the time interval isn't huge between them and you're not prolonging their time without the vaccine by very much. However, I also don't think it's necessary. To each their own on this, IMO. I wouldn't want to take additional time off from work and have to go back and forth to the ped so much (and expose them to all the germs at the peds any more than necessary), but I don't think it's a bad thing to do if that's what works best for your family.

babyfiorina1
02-28-2014, 04:59 PM
Was this not the norm beforehand? I've been an infant nanny for a lot of little babies and pretty much all of them start getting tired and ready for a nap at around the 1 hour mark and most are asleep by the 90 minute mark. I love the book "The 90-Minute Baby Sleep Program" and it talks specifically about the sleep cycles of babies and how they reset every 90 minutes, with younger babies getting sleepy before that mark.

But if this was not the norm beforehand then I would be concerned. Is he happy and active during the times he is awake?

He is happy when he's awake. He'll laugh when we tease him or play with him. He'll do tummy time and roll to his tummy. He can only stayed awake for 90 minutes MAX! I usually start the soothing process 15 minutes before the 90 minutes. These past few days I notice he could barely stay awake up to 1 hour for the morning nap. I don't know if it's the vaccination or he just had sleepless night (though i don't think i hear him fussing or anything), but sometimes he can be awake and not fussing much and we'll go back to sleep on his own.

Thank you, I'm glad to know that most babies even at 4.5 months are still around 90 minutes or maximum 2 hours (mine can never make it to 2 hours though) window of wakefulness

babyfiorina1
02-28-2014, 05:02 PM
We split vaccines. Many of us just went back every 3-4 weeks. So, yes, it's a small window to gamble w no coverage but people aren't saying months and years. Long enough to see if there's a reaction and better pinpoint the cause.

I'm thinking about doing that. The nurse said that I might be putting DS through more pain from the shots. Well, kinda true, but believe it or not, DS never cried with the three jabs all at one time and he was like that since birth!! BUt the effect of the vaccinations sure bothered him a lot. Though I never noticed such thing with 3-year old DD in the past she only got fever and not much fussiness I could remember, that's why I was a bit shocked to see DS so fussy, cranky, and tired.

ShanaMama
03-02-2014, 01:03 AM
I'm thinking about doing that. The nurse said that I might be putting DS through more pain from the shots. Well, kinda true, but believe it or not, DS never cried with the three jabs all at one time and he was like that since birth!! BUt the effect of the vaccinations sure bothered him a lot. Though I never noticed such thing with 3-year old DD in the past she only got fever and not much fussiness I could remember, that's why I was a bit shocked to see DS so fussy, cranky, and tired.
Meh, I don't agree with the nurse. Shots hurt. No way to avoid that. I don't think anybody is anti vax because they don't want to stick a needle in their baby. What's the big difference if your baby gets 5 shots at once or 2 on one day & 3 another day? Once they are older & start hating the doctor it's another story, but at this age your baby doesn't know the difference. The main reason all the shots are done at the well check ups is to make sure that kids actually get them all. Once you're there they want to make sure to do it. Cuz lots of people wouldn't really come back just for shots... But it sounds like splitting might be a good option for you. I talked to my dr about splitting & they helped me decide which ones to give on schedule (IIRC I never pushed off Hep, chicken pox for example can wait). The DR Sears book I recommended up thread has a modified vaccine schedule but I think the vaccines have been bundled even more since my version was printed.

SnuggleBuggles
03-02-2014, 01:11 AM
I mostly followed the Dr. Sears' schedule. I can't remember how much time I staggered things by. I really liked that book. It wasn't anti vaccine. It just explained the risks, benefits and options. I thought it was really handy. It was already a bit out of date when I read wrt manufacturers but I think their website updates stuff.

legaleagle
03-02-2014, 01:13 AM
4 months is a classic time for sleep changes in general "the 4 month sleep shakeup" - I'd be more likely to attribute those changes to development rather than shots almost 2 weeks out. Askmoxie.com has great stuff on sleep shakeups.

shweethart
03-02-2014, 02:27 AM
I do MMR by itself also. DS 1 it was around 18 months. He had the worse fever of his life as a reaction. DS 2 and 3 got it at 2.5 years old right before nursery school and no reaction at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk