PDA

View Full Version : Fun urban sleek sneakers for walking around NYC

daisysmom
02-20-2014, 09:54 PM
We will be in NYC for the second week in March, so hopefully past the point of polar vortexes but pre-sandal weather. It's a pleasure trip- and will be full of walking around, eating in cafés, shopping etc. I want to get some sneakers that would work for long walks in Central Park but Also not look touristy and be more in fashion. I cycle through 2-3 pairs of running shoes a year (and keep the old pairs that are fine for anything but running) so I know the best shoes for running and the gym, but I don't think those are the fashionable shoes to wear with Jeans, capris, out to lunch, etc. any recommendations?

In the winter here I live in my Frye boots which are plenty comfortable to walk in... But I kind if wanted to bring in spring after this ghastly winter. While I wear Toms a lot off walking the dog during the summer where I live, I was thinking I wanted something a little more chic for this trip. Any suggestions? Thanks.

SnuggleBuggles
02-20-2014, 10:00 PM
I think I'd skip sneakers and do ballet flats. Toss the Toms in your purse if you're worried you'll need a shoe switch. But, I'll poke around at sneakers later. Just not thinking of any that I'd wear with capris.

TwinFoxes
02-20-2014, 10:08 PM
I think I'd skip sneakers and do ballet flats.

Same here. If you're set on a sneaker, I love Converse Jack Purcells, comfy and retro, much more supportive than All-Stars. Superga's are popular, I haven't tried them myself.
https://www.converse.com/landing-jack-purcell

http://shop.nordstrom.com/sr?origin=PredictiveSearch&contextualcategoryid=2375500&keyword=superga#keyword=superga&type=keyword&page=1&category=s6000051&defaultsize3=&size=&width=&color=&price=&instoreavailability=false&lastfilter=searchcategory_6000051&sizeFinderId=0&resultsmode=&segmentId=0&keywordSortEngine=ABS

hellbennt
02-20-2014, 11:13 PM
I'm more of a saucony chick, but I might be (they may be) a freak/geek?...http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sl_bs_2600112011_679394011?_encoding=UTF8&bbn=679394011&rh=n%3A679394011%2Cp_lbr_brands_browse-bin%3ASaucony&rnid=679394011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-leftnav&pf_rd_r=0S9Z2T6M0PEXY7J6DSKS&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1607125522&pf_rd_i=2600112011

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elektra
02-20-2014, 11:22 PM
I have these. http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/new-balance-574-sneaker-women/3723814?origin=PredictiveSearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=2376778&fashionColor=Black%2F+Black&resultback=0&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-1_1_A

I don't see the exact color I have anymore though. It's kind of a turquoise.

hellbennt
02-20-2014, 11:24 PM
(Can't get link to work - key words/search saucony fashion sneakers)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kindra178
02-20-2014, 11:26 PM
UGG sneakers are awesome. So comfy and supportive. They look like Jack Purcells but are fur lined. The weather there might be terrible though and you may need some sort of waterproof boots. Hunters would work well. SB, NYC isn't having flats weather yet. I also don't think you will be able to wear capris.

daisysmom
02-20-2014, 11:42 PM
Thanks everyone. The bright Saucony's was what I was thinking about. I am hoping against hope to be able to wear capris, but alas, maybe not. We were in Georgia this week last year on the beach and I froze in capris, it was miserable. But I am hoping against hope that we can return to some of the warm early springs that we had 20 years ago - I went to NYC for spring break a few times when I was in college and it was kinda springy. But knowing this winter's luck, I will pack my Hunters. Probably should have books an island trip :) Well at least the color of my shoes can be springy!

Appreciate the ballet shoe rec... I wear Tori's for work sometimes in the spring and summer, but my feet feel weird to really walk in them all day. I need some more support. I don't need a running shoe, but something with some substance to it if we really do some serious walking.

TwinFoxes
02-20-2014, 11:43 PM
UGG sneakers are awesome. So comfy and supportive. They look like Jack Purcells but are fur lined. The weather there might be terrible though and you may need some sort of waterproof boots. Hunters would work well. SB, NYC isn't having flats weather yet. I also don't think you will be able to wear capris.

I was kind of thinking this too. We are expecting snow here next week. Capris seem really iffy to me (I'm not much of a Capri person though).

Also, I have Uggs sneakers, they are cute and warm. It took me a few wears to get them comfy enough for all day walking. But I wear them now when there's no snow on the ground when I'm running errands.

ett
02-21-2014, 12:01 AM
I don't have any shoe suggestions but also want to agree with PPs that I don't think you'll be able to wear capris and flats in March. I would definitely pack something waterproof.

SnuggleBuggles
02-21-2014, 08:16 AM
Oh, I didn't personally think capris in early spring were going to happen either (though weird warm days happen). I was just cringing at a sneaker and Capri so I was trying to come up with an alternate shoe plan that would work with capris. I can wear my Toms all day in NYC but agree they lack support. Yes, Hunters are probably where you'll end up. :)

wendibird22
02-21-2014, 10:14 AM
What about Ahnu brand flats or sneakers? I have a pair of closed toe slip ons that I wore for 5 days at Disney and was so happy with them that I bought a pair of fashion sneakers that were on clearance at my DSW. I can't find my exact sneakers online but they are similar to this: http://www.shoesmallsell.com/womens-ahnu-belgrove-sport-dark-navy-p-19888/. Mine are a grey and teal color.