PDA

View Full Version : Girl Scout Camp Kaufman Mommy & Me Days, Him & Me, Weekdend Getaways

katerinasmom
02-21-2014, 12:10 PM
Just got a flyer for Girl Scouts Camp Kaufman weekend summer getaway programs.
Has anyone ever participated in one of the Mommy & Me weekends, a Him & Me program (where dad brings girl for the day), or other weekend or day programs.
They look like so much fun - a lot of things my city girls would never get the chance to do. But it's a bit of a drive for me and I'd have to take my girls separately in order for each to really enjoy the activities because one is a Daisy and the other a Junior. It wouldn't be fair to make the older one only do Daisy level activities and that's what would happen if it was just me with the both of them. So before I book two trips, I'd love to hear feedback, tips, etc. from anyone with experience.

Percycat
02-21-2014, 12:39 PM
I live in Missouri, so I have never attended Camp Kaufman, but I strongly recommend you try the camp. I loved girl scout camp as a kid. I have also attended girl scout camp as an adult with my daughter and cub scout camp with my son.

With my son, I participated in a "Mom and Me" camp and was a camper. It was a special weekend my son and I shared. I got to do all the fun things planned for DS and I didn't have to do any of the work, planning, or leading.

A couple years ago, my daughter and I attended a special girl scout leader training weekend together. During the day, she had activities with other girls while I met with leaders to become certified to take troops camping. My daughter and I met up again in the evening for some evening activities and shared a tent together.

Both of these camps were fantastic opportunities for me to go to camp with my kids and teach them tricks for camp self care and make sure they had self confidence to go to sleep away camp on their own. My daughter was in 1st grade the year we camped together. A couple weeks later she went to camp on her own. She is now in third grade and going to girl scout camp is one of her favorite summer activities.

I hope you sign up for camp and have a great time!

buddyleebaby
02-21-2014, 12:56 PM
I have not done a weekend program there, but camp Kaufman was the camp I attended when *I* went to Girl Scout camp, and I have fond memories.

katerinasmom
02-21-2014, 02:05 PM
Yes I went once when I was a kid and it was a great experience. Now that my kids are in Girl Scouts I have volunteered to join as a leader for the troops weekend camping trip. I'm sure it will be something they will remember. I just wondered how these non-troop weekends and day trips worked out.
The mom and me time alone would be great by itself but we can do that closer to home if the whole experience is not what the brochure makes it out to be.

Dream
02-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Sounds fun, I would definitely go. I loved being a girl guide in my home country. I wish I knew of a scout troop in our area for DD to join. But don't know of any.

Corie
02-21-2014, 02:41 PM
My daughter and I have done the Mommy & Me weekends. Here in Ohio, it is called, "Me & My Gal". :)

We've gone every summer for the last 3-4 years. We have a GREAT time!!!

squimp
02-21-2014, 05:20 PM
Sounds fun, I would definitely go. I loved being a girl guide in my home country. I wish I knew of a scout troop in our area for DD to join. But don't know of any.

You can contact your local girl scout council and they might be able to connect you with a troop.

My DD has done our local day camp since she was a Daisy and loves it. She's a junior now (10) and wants to do an overnight camp this year. Our troop leader has done the "Mom and me" camps and I know a few dads who did the "me and my dad" camps and they had a great time.