PDA

View Full Version : Stepmoms

ChicagoNDMom
02-21-2014, 12:29 PM
It seems like there are not many stepmoms on the board (maybe I am wrong). If there are any, can you provide any resources that were helpful to you for this fairly new stepmom?

I looked for a subforum on stepparenting, but did not find one...

Thanks for any suggestions.

mom2binsd
02-21-2014, 04:27 PM
I think most of us who are divorced are not remarried, which may be why. A recent poll by me on this board found very few divorced members, which is not a typical percentage compared to the general public, but then this board doesn't always poll typical.

lalasmama
02-21-2014, 04:41 PM
I know there's several stepmoms on here, but not all of them are "open" about it. Not that they are hiding it, it's just not a part of their posting.

I'm a relatively new stepmom, but my "bonus" daughters and I have been together for 5 years, so the newness is only because the marriage is less than a year old. Unfortunately, I have no resources to recommend. I'm flying by the seat of my pants with stepparenting! I'm blessed with bonus daughters that are open, accepting, and loving, and if I've done anything bad, they haven't told me! However, they are also young adults now, so we aren't all living together. I tell myself I must be doing okay-- my oldest bonus daughter called me mom last weekend, and it was so casual!

JBaxter
02-21-2014, 05:31 PM
Not a stepmom but my older 2 boys had one ( well for several years) A lot will depend on the age of the children.

reneed
02-21-2014, 06:18 PM
I'm a stepmom but the kids are much older and out of the house. I won't be much help :(

barkley1
02-21-2014, 07:06 PM
I'm a stepmom to two teenagers, since ages 6 and 9. I haven't found much great help on step parenting, unfortunately. I did read a book or two, but it all seemed like common sense. Maybe I felt like I already knew it bc growing up, I had both a stepmom and stepdad myself.

My best advice is to let your DH handle discipline issues with them. It's a 1000x easier for them to hate you than it is their own dad. We've had a bit of a rough go of it bc dh's ex is a major doozy. Lol. You really wouldnt believe some of her sh$t in a million years. So sorry if I sound cynical :(. Pm me anytime, and please post if you find any great stepparenting resources!

ZeeBaby
02-21-2014, 07:20 PM
I am also a step-mom. Boy and girl step kids. They lived with us from 8 and 10 and are now both adults. DH and I have been together for 16 years. I found this board after having my own bio kids pm as well on any issues.

No really resources either, just general parenting stuff.

sweetsue98
02-21-2014, 11:45 PM
I'm a stepmom to a 13yo (boy) and have been with him since he was 7. DH recently gained full placement and custody of him. I haven't found any resources or any boards that have been helpful. I love this board but I don't always find it helpful when dealing with the dynamics of step children because there are not a lot of blended families here. No offense to anyone here. Feel free to PM me anytime.

ChicagoNDMom
02-22-2014, 01:26 PM
Thanks to all who replied, I really appreciate it.