PDA

View Full Version : 4-month old keeps rolling over to his tummy wakes himself up. What to do ?

babyfiorina1
02-22-2014, 12:41 PM
My 4-month old DS keeps rolling over from his back to tummy (but didn't quite know how to reverse to his back yet) and wakes himself up and cried for rescue and this been going on for two weeks now and it is affecting his naps. I had to go in and out his room to flip him back only to find that he'll roll back again. sigh. I tried swaddled him back and he would roll in his swaddle too. I know eventually he'll figure this out, but in the mean time is there anything I can do ? This boy is overtired from not getting proper nap. Any advice ? Thank you

UPDATE:
Well, now at 7.5 months, DS still hasn't figured out to roll from tummy to back. And we have tummy time every day and I've been helping him to practice rolling from tummy to back. All these time I had kept him in merlin magic sleep suit at night and so he won't roll over and get stuck. He had roll over to his tummy in the magic sleep suit today!!! So, now no more sleep suit either and we've been going in and out his room to flip him back to his back because he cried and doesn't like to sleep on his tummy. Finally we let him cio and he's sleeping on his tummy but he woke up every 30 minutes and fuss ! Sigh! I'm not sure what to do unless we keep going to his room and flip him over the whole night !!!!

hellokitty
02-22-2014, 01:11 PM
Personally, once they start rolling, I do not swaddle anymore. I don't think it's safe to swaddle once they can roll.

SnuggleBuggles
02-22-2014, 01:43 PM
Time for a day of rolling boot camp. Tummy time with a bolster pillow under his chest. He'll figure it out and then just let him sleep however he wants.

Tondi G
02-22-2014, 02:22 PM
my 2 thoughts would be either put him down on his tummy to sleep to begin with... maybe if he starts that way he will just continue to sleep that way OR maybe put him down for a nap in a swing so he can get some solid rest but be positioned in such a way that he won't roll over. I agree with the pp who said that once they rolled we stopped swaddling. I also agree with more tummy time so he can work on getting from his tummy to his back.

mackmama
02-22-2014, 03:20 PM
Our pedi said to stop swaddling when they can roll over.

nfowife
02-22-2014, 03:43 PM
Just give it a few days and he will figure it out. Ditch the swaddle.

Giantbear
02-22-2014, 05:10 PM
well, i was going to make a joke about duct tape to hold the swaddle, but when i did my search, i found some real strange pictures......

Our dr told us once she rolls, free her from the swaddle and up the tummy time to help build the muscles. You can also do some swing naps to give him some restful sleep

babyfiorina1
02-22-2014, 08:09 PM
Thank you all. I actually ditched the swaddle once he started to roll over. I was trying my luck today I'outll definitely up the tummy time and thanks for the suggestion with using bolster under his chest , will try that.

babyfiorina1
05-31-2014, 10:54 PM
Well, now at 7.5 months, DS still hasn't figured out to roll from tummy to back. And we have tummy time every day and I've been helping him to practice rolling from tummy to back. All these time I had kept him in merlin magic sleep suit at night and so he won't roll over and get stuck. He had roll over to his tummy in the magic sleep suit today!!! So, now no more sleep suit either and we've been going in and out his room to flip him back to his back because he cried and doesn't like to sleep on his tummy. Finally we let him cio and he's sleeping on his tummy but he woke up every 30 minutes and fuss ! Sigh! I'm not sure what to do unless we keep going to his room and flip him over the whole night !!!!