PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a kid who plays chess?

cilantromapuche
02-22-2014, 01:30 PM
DS (10) is really into chess lately and while I play he is at a completely different level. Anyone have any suggestions on websites, books, etc. He did just go to one day of chess camp and really enjoyed it and learned a lot. It does make me want to get better.
He is picking up steam with all his interests and it is going to exhaust me! I am trying to get DD interested as well because if we are making the trip for one. Also, I don't know if it is just regional but there are a lot of boys but not so many girls.

lmh2402
02-22-2014, 01:37 PM
DS plays, but he's still learning for sure. he really enjoyed the No Stress Chess game when he was learning the basics - if your DD does not already know how to play, maybe check out that game.

cilantromapuche
02-22-2014, 03:32 PM
we have that. she can play but apparently there is another whole world of chess notation, tactics and a completely foreign language :)

hillview
02-22-2014, 03:51 PM
DS1 loves chess and is quite good. He takes a class weekly (has since he was 4) and is now playing for 2 hours on weekends in a "tournament" with other kids the teacher has in different schools. he will start a private chess lesson next week for 30 mins a week.

DS2 loves the iPhone game DinoChess which is great for teaching.

smiles33
02-23-2014, 04:10 AM
Does his school have an after-school chess program? DD's does, but she was the only girl in 1st grade and the boys would refuse to play against her so she quit for a year. I just re-started her this past month because another girl who's in her 2nd grade class joined the chess class so DD has someone to play with now! They even give "homework" for her to practice strategies. She's far beyond my chess abilities so I can't even help with homework! Thankfully, DH plays so she goes to him.

goldenpig
02-23-2014, 05:45 AM
DD started chess in K--her school has an afterschool chess class, and a lot of the kids in the school play in a school tournament every year. She was asked to join the chess team, and has been playing in tournaments last year and this year. I do agree that there are a lot fewer girls in chess than boys, but her school hosts a state girls' chess tournament every year. She does the after school chess, and last summer did a few weeks of chess camp, and has taken a few private lessons as well. I don't play her, but DH does when he has time. She has a cute book called How to Beat Your Dad at Chess. I also bought a book called A World Champion's Guide to Chess that has some puzzles that you can work through, like what move to make to checkmate in one move. I sometimes will set up the puzzles for her on the chess board. We also have Dino Chess installed on the iPad. If DH and I weren't so busy with work and the kids, we'd try to play her or work with her more, but we are pretty busy/tired when we get home.

lurksalot
02-23-2014, 11:46 PM
My son loves ChessKids. We do pay to subscribe. He loves to watch the videos and practice strategies.

stefani
02-24-2014, 12:23 AM
Watch: http://www.brooklyncastle.com/

Interesting and inspiring documentary. My DS does not play but we watched that movie.

bisous
02-24-2014, 01:52 AM
DS1 loves it. I'll have to remember all these cool apps, movies, etc. that you guys are letting me in on. :)

smilequeen
02-24-2014, 11:04 AM
My older 2 both play and DH is also very into chess. He has something on his computer that he loves, but he's at work for the day. If I remember, I'll come back with it tomm.

They do chess club at school. Their chess club does invite them to tournaments that some of the other kids have done, but hockey and baseball usually get in our way, so we've never done one. Their friends have and they love it. We also have the Chess Hall of Fame here, which is suprisingly interesting.

cilantromapuche
02-24-2014, 02:21 PM
You guys really are great! We did watch Brooklyn Castle. I look forward to downloading some apps and encouraging DD to play a little more. They do a chess club at school but it is pretty lax and chaotic. DS has beat the best HS player and was asked to play on the HS team in March for the two remaning matches. He is also doing a big tournament in March. Who knew it could be an expenisve sport?

citymama
02-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Bookmarking because DD1 is a chess player too!

SASM
02-24-2014, 03:26 PM
I don't know if this counts but DS spent a large part of a snow day playing chess on his Nexus. :) He was picking it over Minecraft!

goldenpig
02-24-2014, 03:57 PM
Does his school have an after-school chess program? DD's does, but she was the only girl in 1st grade and the boys would refuse to play against her so she quit for a year. I just re-started her this past month because another girl who's in her 2nd grade class joined the chess class so DD has someone to play with now! They even give "homework" for her to practice strategies. She's far beyond my chess abilities so I can't even help with homework! Thankfully, DH plays so she goes to him.

OMG, that makes me really angry! :mad: Couldn't you talk to the after school chess teacher and let them know what is going on so they can talk to the boys? That is so discriminatory and they should nip that in the bud.

At the recent girls' chess tournament our school had two kindergarteners, three 1st graders and two 3rd graders. And even then I was lamenting that I wish more girls would play chess. I know how to play, but DD is already better than me, so the chess teacher told me she should play DH instead of me so she learns something.