PDA

View Full Version : Do condos include maintenance?

mackmama
02-22-2014, 02:59 PM
A friend of mine is going through a divorce and needs to move. She would like to make the transition as easy as possible so is hoping to find a place to live where all maintenance is taken care of. Does this happen with condos? She would like a private yard for her children but is unsure that exists with condos?

BunnyBee
02-22-2014, 03:10 PM
It depends on the development. Usually exterior maintenance of the building and common areas is done by the association (paid for by mandatory owner fees), but individual, fenced, back yards are the owner's problem. The yards are usually pretty tiny, if they exist at all. Interior maintenance is also the owner's problem. She could rent for a while and make sure that lawncare is the landlord's responsibility. That would be my choice. Cut out as many extra responsibilities as possible!

Radswd
02-22-2014, 03:16 PM
Mine is set up the way BunnyBee described. We don't have yards, though, more like tiny patch of grass in front with sidewalks and fenced patio area in back. I would probably rent a condo or apartment if in her shoes.

Radswd
02-22-2014, 03:19 PM
Not sure how to edit post but renting house might be good option if she's looking for yard. If she's responsible for yard, maybe she could find reasonable yard service or teen.

mackmama
02-22-2014, 03:23 PM
What are your thoughts on living someplace without outdoor space for kids? I'd like her to consider a condo with no yard, as she does not want to rent.

SnuggleBuggles
02-22-2014, 03:34 PM
Is there a park or public space walkable?

mackmama
02-22-2014, 07:03 PM
She could find one near a park or with a communal yard. She's just always had a private yard kwim?

nfowife
02-22-2014, 08:02 PM
She could rent or buy a townhouse. Usually maintenance is included- either in rent or as part of the annual or monthly community fee as an owner.
We are renting a single family home right now and our lease includes lawn care and snow plowing in the rent. We still have to do some shoveling (plowing only done with 3+ inches of snow) but no lawn care in summer.

Radswd
02-22-2014, 10:30 PM
Ah, if she doesn't want to rent, buying a condo may be the way to go. It is really nice to not have worry of exterior maintenance, landscaping, etc. However, I would really like a yard for my kiddos. We plan to move in 1-2 years. In the meantime, we do play with sidewalk chalk and in tiny "yard" at our condo. We also walk around our neighborhood and frequent a nice public park nearby. The kids have never complained about lack of yard but they are young and have lived here their whole lives.

I would tell your friend to pay attention to layout. Ours is more like a townhouse with upper and lower levels. Square footage is pretty decent but feels smaller as bedrooms are really large. We had only planned to stay here for 5 years or so before moving to larger house to start a family. Too bad the economy didn't cooperate! Hope this helps :)

JJJJ
02-22-2014, 10:49 PM
I'd like to mention that condos with HOA that takes care of exterior of the home is pricey. Out here, it can go for $400+ per month. If she wants she can purchase a home warrantee to take care of her interior needs. We have home warrantee plan that takes care of roof leaks, clogged drains, cracked walls, etc. Home warrantee is pricey too but it's an option if she doesn't want to do the fixing.

sunnyside
02-23-2014, 12:00 AM
It just depends so much on so many factors. I lived in a condo with my DD and couldn't get out of there fast enough. I couldn't stand the shared walls, lack of my own outdoor space, and so, so many other things. I would never go back to a situation like that. But I know for others, it's fine and doesn't bother them. For me, I suffered through it temporarily, but would never have bought into that situation. I didn't love renting either, as there is always the possibility of having to move, but I did that for a few years until I could get into the right situation and buy.

jacksmomtobe
02-23-2014, 08:11 AM
How old are her kids? Are they used to having a yard? If they are used to having their own yard it may hard to go to a situation without. Would she have time to take the to a park whenever they wanted to go outside & play? If they are old enough to go outside on their own and she is used to being able to let them go outside on their own to release energy/play in their yard then that may be a hard change for her. I lived in a condo with a baby and a dog where we had to go to a park to play (for the dog) and while living that it was ok but afterwards I was glad we moved to a house with a yard as I couldn't imagine continuing to do that as my sports loving kids got older. We still went to a park but to have to go to one every day versus wanting to go to one is different.