PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your rash guard

vtmom
02-22-2014, 03:27 PM
I want to purchase a rash guard for the sun protection (I'm not surfing with it) while in the Caribbean. DH and I plan to do a lot of snorkeling and I'm hoping it will be better/easier than having to remember sunblock all the time. I tan very easily to the point of getting ridiculously dark spots if I am not careful and am really trying to limit sun damage (wish I had this insight as a teen!). So, can you recommend a rash guard? I've seen them at LLBean, Lands End and JCrew and think there are cute options at each, but want one that will work! Also, feel free to chime in with any negative reviews as well so I can steer clear of those.

Thanks!

Momit
02-22-2014, 03:43 PM
I have a couple of Lands' End ones and they work well as far as sun protection.

echoesofspring
02-22-2014, 03:46 PM
I have a couple from Athleta, a long sleeved ruched one that's similar to this one from Coolibar:

http://www.coolibar.com/product/Women/Swim-Cover-Ups/Ruche-Swim-Shirt-Print/pc/2240/c/0/sc/2187/155898.uts

and a short sleeved one kind of like this:
http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=97464&vid=1&pid=964908022

I like the short sleeve one a lot better, the long sleeve one is really just too big for me and carries so much water with it out of the pool. It would probably be better if I was taller. I feel kind of ridiculous in it, although if I was out in the sun a lot I could learn to live with it I suppose.

hillview
02-22-2014, 03:48 PM
I got a couple from Tommy Bahama (they match my swim suit) and they were great. I also have one from athleta which was great for sitting around in but since it was long and ls it wasn't good for swimming in

Twoboos
02-22-2014, 05:15 PM
I like the one I have from LE and one from Athleta. That one is just waist length and has a front kangaroo pocket.

I think LE has some cute ones this season.

vtmom
02-22-2014, 05:33 PM
Huh, I was assuming I'd get the long sleeve rash guards but we will be doing a lot of swimming (snorkeling and open water training). Are the long sleeved really hard to swim in? Why so?

Katigre
02-22-2014, 06:08 PM
I love the zip up one from lands end.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

larig
02-22-2014, 06:31 PM
I like the one I have from LE and one from Athleta. That one is just waist length and has a front kangaroo pocket.

I think LE has some cute ones this season.

:yeahthat: to the LE ones being cute this year.

hillview
02-22-2014, 06:37 PM
I think the LS ones would work -- the one I have is long and has a hood I think so not really for swimming.

ourbabygirl
02-22-2014, 08:12 PM
Yeah, LE has some cute ones this year... I especially like the ones on the models in the catalog- there's a l/s navy blue & white striped one, and a white floral one shown w/coral bikini bottoms. They look more sleek than some s/s mock neck ones I've bought from LE in the past. Friends & Family going on now until the 25th, I believe (check website to be sure, & for codes). :)

vtmom
02-22-2014, 08:42 PM
Yeah, LE has some cute ones this year... I especially like the ones on the models in the catalog- there's a l/s navy blue & white striped one, and a white floral one shown w/coral bikini bottoms. They look more sleek than some s/s mock neck ones I've bought from LE in the past. Friends & Family going on now until the 25th, I believe (check website to be sure, & for codes). :)

I've been eyeing the same two LE rashguards! I like the Athleta ones too, but the LE ones are a better price point so I think I'll start there. Thanks for the feedback ladies!

georgiegirl
02-22-2014, 10:03 PM
I have an athleta one with a hood that I love. It has plastic snaps down part of the middle, so it was very easy to nurse in.

This is the one I have. It's really cheap now

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=49982&vid=1&pid=426620032

Nooknookmom
02-23-2014, 02:47 AM
Roxy and o'neill? Have alwys held up well for us.

Mommy_Mea
02-23-2014, 06:53 AM
I have an athleta one with a hood that I love. It has plastic snaps down part of the middle, so it was very easy to nurse in.

This is the one I have. It's really cheap now

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=49982&vid=1&pid=426620032

That is what I bought last summer, and I love it! Comfortable, cute, good toswim in and keeps the sun off!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

ahisma
02-24-2014, 12:11 AM
I have a long sleeved LE one that I love. I need to get a few more this year. We spend hours and hours on the beach in the summer and I really appreciate the coverage. I get tons of compliments on it, and quite a few cottage neighbors bought one too:)

MommyofAmaya
02-24-2014, 01:53 PM
I have three printed LE rash guards from late last season and they are great and have a more feminine fit than previous years. I had one from a few years ago that was awful- mock neck and boxy and never got worn. I wear them with a black high waisted swim skirt and I can swim and then pop into a store if necessary. I'm going to link the skirt b/c it is the best swim skirt I've ever had and it is on sale right now. I wear it with tankinis or with a longline bikini top for a retro look- and the rash guard on top depending on the environment. I bought four last year in case they didn't bring them back this year.

http://www.jcpenney.com/women/swimsuits-cover-ups/bottoms/st-john%25e2%2580%2599s-bay-high-waist-control-skirted-swim-bottoms/prod.jump?ppId=pp5003720933&Nao=24&pN=2&searchTerm=high+waist&catId=SearchResults&colorizedImg=DP0128201417163517M.tif