PDA

View Full Version : Favorite "Old School" movies for kids

elizabethkott
02-22-2014, 04:59 PM
I so do not win mom of the year...
I thought DS1 would *love* The Goonies - I remember it as being a really fun (slightly suspenseful) story about friends who come together...
I forgot about the profuse use of the "s" word (not DS1's "s" word - "stupid" - but there was a lot of that one, too!), the "A" word, and the conversations about "making it" with someone of the opposite gender.
:bag:
Apparently, a PG rating in the '80's is SO NOT THE SAME as it is today!!!
(FWIW, he did love the movie. :bag:)
So what are your favorite "old school" movies for kids? I'm thinking for the 6-10 age range, if that makes a difference!

sariana
02-22-2014, 05:05 PM
Well, now that they've been introduced to that word, you could do E.T. It is in there at least once. I had forgotten that.

My kids like TRON. The original is from 1982. They like TRON: Legacy too. He says "Damn" once, but that's it. But then, it's not "old school."

Remember, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom got a PG rating. The controversy over that eventually led to the establishment of the PG-13 rating.

Have your kids seen the OT Star Wars movies (4-6)? Those are pretty safe.

SnuggleBuggles
02-22-2014, 05:06 PM
I like the newer version of The Parent Trap.

Twoboos
02-22-2014, 05:09 PM
OMG, my brother had been giving me such a hard time b/c the girls had not yet seen The Goonies. We finally watched it and I nearly fell over b/c I had completely forgotten the swearing and the dead guy falling on Chunk!!! Not to mention the first few times you see Sloth before you realize he's nice. DD2 (8yo!) was scared and almost stopped watching. PG from the 80's is definitely NOT the PG from today, which I have to keep reminding DH.

Anyway. DDs do love all the Back to the Futures, although there's some swearing there. ET was kinda tough, DD2 was traumatized about ET being left behind in the beginning and they were in hysterics when he died. But they were younger, that was probably 3-ish years ago we tried that one. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was OK.

kali
02-22-2014, 05:25 PM
Home Alone. 9-year old DS LOVES it.

SnuggleBuggles
02-22-2014, 05:53 PM
My 6yo loves Home Alone!!

Kestrel
02-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Big

Night at the Museum

Sky High (about a high school for kids with super-powers, with super-hero parents.)

high School Musical???

sariana
02-22-2014, 06:04 PM
What about Hook?

ilfaith
02-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Going really "Old" school...I think some of the old movie musicals...those based on Broadway shows or other classics like Singin' in the Rain...are very kid-friendly, especially for kids who love the animated musicals like Frozen. I was singing "Let it Go" in the shower earlier today, which got me thinking of Hans Christian Andersen and the movie about him with Danny Kaye (one of my favorites when I was a little girl).

MamaInMarch
02-22-2014, 06:26 PM
I like the newer version of The Parent Trap.

First one that came to mind was The Parent Trap. But I must admit, I love the original Haley Mills version.

How about Flight of the Navigator? It's been a loooong time but I don't remember anything too bad.

The Neverending Story?

Twoboos
02-22-2014, 06:28 PM
Home Alone. 9-year old DS LOVES it.

How could I forget Home Alone?? And Home Alone in NY.

Pretty violent, though. It's mostly paint-can-to-the-head stuff, but still something to think about.

o_mom
02-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Appropriate is going to vary based on age as well as your child's particular scary things - some kids are fine with slight gore, but lost pets have them gushing. Others are freaked out by even minor peril.

We have watched the following here (DS3 is 6) - not including the usual kids movies from Disney.

Tron (original)
Shaggy Dog (Tim Allen version)
The Dark Crystal
The Neverending Story
ET
Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder)
Gremlins (this one was a bit much, but it was so 1980's special effects that the kids laughed hysterically at it - it was for DS1's 10th b-day party)
Star Wars IV-VI
Indiana Jones (all)
Spy Kids
Wizard of Oz
Pink Panther (most of them)
The Princess Bride
Matlilda
The Black Stallion
A Christmas Story
Muppet Movie (one of them - might be the Manhattan one)

I'm considering Big, War Games and Honey I Shrunk the Kids, but need to refresh myself on them.

anonomom
02-22-2014, 07:24 PM
My kids really liked Honey I Shrunk the Kids.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-22-2014, 07:26 PM
My kids are currently obsessed with An American Tail. They sing the songs and act out the plot all the time. It is so cool bc it was one of my childhood favorites (Dh's as well), so I love sharing it with them.

Another one of dh favorite is the Bad News Bears but I do NOT recommend it for young kids. Dh and I watched it once and is So un-PC it is comical. Lots of smoking, kids cursing, using racial slurs and smoking. Actually it was hilarious for us to watch and see how different times were when we grew up! !

elizabethkott
02-22-2014, 07:46 PM
These are all so awesome!!!
Thanks, all!!!
DS1 is so not thrown by violence (he's seen all the Star Wars movies) but does get scared a little by "mean" people (ie. the bad 'gang' in Goonies had him a little upset), and he's very much enjoyed the Harry Potter movies, 1-4. He's BEGGING us to let him watch the rest, but I think it's just too much for him at this point.
I think he's okay with "character" deaths, because he's very in tune with the fact that those are actors playing roles and that no actual harm comes to the actual people. But I have a feeling that he would NOT do well with animal deaths or harm to animals, because clearly, how can an animal act? An animal is an animal! LOL.

indigo99
02-22-2014, 09:20 PM
I loved Savannah Smiles. Anyone else remember that one? Not sure you can find it anywhere. The Secret of Nimh was probably my favorite animated movie, and I did like The Never Ending Story as well. Batteries not included is probably something DS would like when he's older. The Secret Garden? The Rescuers? Babe? Can you get the old Lassie tv show now? Pippi Longstocking? Willy Wonka? Bedknobs and Broomsticks? Where the Red Fern Grows (LOVED this book as a kid but a dog does die in it)

Jen841
02-22-2014, 09:59 PM
Appropriate is going to vary based on age as well as your child's particular scary things - some kids are fine with slight gore, but lost pets have them gushing. Others are freaked out by even minor peril.

We have watched the following here (DS3 is 6) - not including the usual kids movies from Disney.

Tron (original)
Shaggy Dog (Tim Allen version)
The Dark Crystal
The Neverending Story
ET
Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder)
Gremlins (this one was a bit much, but it was so 1980's special effects that the kids laughed hysterically at it - it was for DS1's 10th b-day party)
Star Wars IV-VI
Indiana Jones (all)
Spy Kids
Wizard of Oz
Pink Panther (most of them)
The Princess Bride
Matlilda
The Black Stallion
A Christmas Story
Muppet Movie (one of them - might be the Manhattan one)

I'm considering Big, War Games and Honey I Shrunk the Kids, but need to refresh myself on them.

Great list! My boys loved Princess Bride and the Muppet Movies AND shows.

We watched Tom Sawyer b/4 Disney and it was a bit disturbing, but they really appreciated Tom Sawyer Island after watching it. The same with Swiss Family Robinson.

Not quite old school, but these are favs too...
Rookie of the Year
Game Plan
Little Rascals (shows and movie)
Old Dennis the Menace shows (and movie)
Angels in the Outfield
How to Eat Fried Worms
Indian in the Cupboard
Hoosiers (one coach was a drunk, but that went over their head)
Mighty Macs
Shoot....the Notre Dame football movie

We need to do Star Wars, they just don't have the interest.

My kids really are into the Home Alone movies now, a huge hit when kids come over.

Nieces and Nephews like Brady Bunch shows.

I need to watch myself Old Yeller and Bedknobs and Broomsticks to see if they would enjoy them.

Jen841
02-22-2014, 10:06 PM
And... My boys liked the original Sound of Music. Loved sharing it with them.

Kids did not like Benji.

My kids love sport related movies. They both plan on being professional athletes : )

We did Mr Mom and did a bit of FF during the sexy dream scene - most likely would have gone over their head. There are worse commercials on TV now.

meira
02-22-2014, 10:07 PM
I loved escape to witch mountain as a kid and just watched it with my kids ages 4, 6, and 8 and they all loved it.
Bonus- watching Kim Richards (rhobh) as a child actress!!
The special effects are pretty lame, especially at the end- couldn't believe the kids believed it all.

o_mom
02-22-2014, 10:07 PM
Hoosiers (one coach was a drunk, but that went over their head)

Shoot....the Notre Dame football movie

Nieces and Nephews like Brady Bunch shows.

Rudy is the ND movie... I'm going to add that to the list! Maybe for the fall. Hoosiers... I wasn't sure because of some of the more adult stuff... But I will have to think on that.

For TV... muppets, Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island are great... I would warn against Happy Days... I watched an episode and Richie sneaks out, goes drag racing and gets drunk, not exactly the wholesome TV I remember!

lmh2402
02-22-2014, 10:23 PM
omg, rudy is such an awesome movie. copying all of this into a word file for the future - ds doesn't watch movies at all at home. refuses.

ncat
02-23-2014, 12:10 AM
I made the same mistake with the Goonies. Then managed to stop it half way through - DS asked for months to finish it. Then DH made the same mistake, not remembering that I had warned him.

The Love Bug movies were pretty safe and the kids enjoyed them.

SnuggleBuggles
02-23-2014, 12:28 AM
Homeward Bound. The cat and 2 dogs. Loved that!

s7714
02-23-2014, 12:54 AM
Apparently, a PG rating in the '80's is SO NOT THE SAME as it is today!!!

That's for sure! We let our two older DCs watch Beetlejuice a couple months ago. PG rated...neither of us realized he drops the F bomb in it! Either we never saw the unedited version or we were oblivious as kids! Same for the original Clash of the Titans. Neither of us ever remembers seeing a naked lady in it, but we saw her this time! ;)

melrose7
02-23-2014, 12:54 AM
I loved Savannah Smiles. Anyone else remember that one? Not sure you can find it anywhere.
This was one of my favorite movies. I watched it over and over again once we had it recorded to a VHS. Not sure my kids are ready for it though but I would love to find it to watch it again.

California
02-23-2014, 02:25 AM
The Man from Snowy River has amazing horse scenes. I haven't seen it in a long time but don't remember anything inappropriate.
Did anyone watch "The Boy Who Could Fly" as a kid? I think it must have been on HBO a ton. I haven't seen it in years and wonder if it would still be good.

NJ_Mom2011
02-23-2014, 09:30 AM
"Babe," the movies about the pig, could be good options.

AnnieW625
02-23-2014, 09:52 AM
I started to show Goonies to the DDs a few weeks ago and it was too much for DD2 so we turned it off.

PG rated in the 80s was way different, as an example Top Gun is rated PG and while there is sex and lots of the "s" word there are no f bombs. I don't recall the f bomb in Beetlejuice at all.

Movies my kids have seen:
Star Wars (mainly bits and pieces, but I think most of eps. 4, 5, and 6)
The Secret of Nimh
Milo and Otis
Dd1 has seen bits and pieces of The Karate Kid
Old school Transformers cartoons
Charlotte's Web
The Sound of Music
The Muppet movies (bits and pieces)
Sky High (although I don't consider this old school at all, it was made in 2004-2006 iirc)
Spy Kids series (again not old school at all, but really good!)

Need to watch:
Indiana Jones
Back to the Future
ET
The Land Before Time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

94bruin
02-23-2014, 11:29 AM
Mary Poppins

boogiemom
02-23-2014, 12:06 PM
:-) We have had the same reaction when watching a few PG movies from the past. Harry and the Hendersons is a hit here but there are a few words I had forgotten were in it. My boys think The Great Outdoors is hysterical but that one definitely has some language but once we realized it, so had the kids. Oh well. Excellent opportunity for the "they do & say things in movies that we do not do & say" chat.

OKKiddo
02-23-2014, 01:33 PM
All great suggestions! And here's a couple more: Sounder, Pete's Dragon, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Swiss Family Robinson, The Black Stallion, Bed Knobs and Broomsticks, old Lost In Space Episodes, The Waltons, and then all of the Christmas themed movies like Prancer, etc.

twowhat?
02-23-2014, 02:41 PM
Mary Poppins was a HUGE hit here, and my kids were mildly interested in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (it required a lot of explaining from us though).

mommylamb
02-23-2014, 03:20 PM
DS1 loves the Goonies. I really am not bothered by the language in it. I'm betting it wasn't the first time he heard that sort of language (and I'm not just talking about when I forget he's in the back seat while I'm driving). He knows what's appropriate and what's not for him to say, and I'm not going to censor a movie for that reason.

In addition to some of the movies mentioned up thread here, DS1 loved watching Shane with DH (Western from the 1950s in case anyone isn't familiar), and the 1933 version of King Kong was a big hit too. He also liked the Peter Jackson version.

At the moment, the movies that are his favorite are the Diary of a Wimpy Kid movies.

kerridean
02-23-2014, 08:06 PM
Annie!!!!!!!

twotimesblue
02-23-2014, 08:43 PM
The Sound of Music! My DS1 loves it!

Swirvin
02-24-2014, 04:57 AM
Don' t know if you are familiar with this site: http://www.commonsensemedia.org/

I find it a useful reference for reminding myself what language/violence/sexual content a movie contains so I can better decide which movies I will choose for my children.

nfceagles
02-24-2014, 10:17 AM
I did the same thing with Goonies last summer (DD5 and DS8). Within the first 10 minutes they'd used the phrase "sexual torture device". Don't need my kids asking me what that is! I could tell my kids weren't really digging it yet, so they weren't upset when I suggested we turn it off.

lizzywednesday
02-24-2014, 10:57 AM
Mary Poppins was a HUGE hit here, and my kids were mildly interested in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (it required a lot of explaining from us though).

OK, I love Sally Ann Howes (the actress who plays Truly Scrumptious) and I love Dick VanD.yke, but I cannot STAND Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

As a kid, I found it boring, and I tried to watch it as an adult and found it horrifying. I tried. Really, I did. I think the biggest issue I have with it was that it was the film of choice during "little sisters" weekend at my aunt's women's college when I visited. I was 4.

I have an affinity for old movies, so DD has seen:

Annie Get Your Gun
The Wizard of Oz
My Fair Lady (warning: it is LONG - there is even an intermission! - but she did like the musical numbers; honestly, there are some bits even I can't sit through and I love Rex Harrison)
Singin' in the Rain (delightful, actually, even with the mild innuendo during the Cyd Charisse dream sequence - I really didn't think I'd like it!)
Mighty Joe Young (the original, stop-motion one from 1949, not the remake; there are a few tense sequences, though, like the people who mock Joe at the nightclub and the fire at the orphanage ... this movie is one of my dad's favorites, too. We love Ray Harryhausen.)
The Adventures of Robin Hood (costume drama/swashbuckling with Errol Flynn, Olivia deHavilland, Basil Rathbone, and Claude Rains!!!)

She's also seen Star Wars Ep IV (DH and I have agreed that Ep's I-III do not exist) and Back to the Future Part III.

She likes the hockey sequences in The Mighty Ducks, but if you're not cool with language, there's quite a bit in that, though not f-bomb level, also drunk driving/attitude to police officers. Couple of innuendo bits (the kids find a stack of Playboy or Penthouse mags in a dumpster at one point), most of the violence is either played for laughs or on the ice, and there are a bunch of scenes where there are kids being mean to other kids (rich kids vs. ragtag/poor kids standard trope) but the Ducks make it in the end. (It's been on HBO lately.)

mom_hanna
02-24-2014, 10:45 PM
these aren't really old school, but, My Dog Skip, Because of Winn Dixie, Bridge to Terabithia.

vludmilla
02-25-2014, 10:55 PM
DDO LOVED The Sound of Music, much more than I ever thought she would. She also really liked E.T.

katerinasmom
02-26-2014, 09:04 AM
I'll add the original Karate Kid to this awesome list.