PDA

View Full Version : Long Distance Running

lcarlson90
02-24-2014, 12:19 AM
I started running in September and I have done a few 5k runs and I am signed up for 2 10k runs in the next few months. I am starting to do 5 - 7 mile runs on the weekends and I am even considering a 1/2 marathon is October. I need a couple of suggestions from other runners on a few things.

1. Do you wear special underwear when you run? I am starting to find what I normally wear is uncomfortable when I run.
2. I need suggestions for a good energy gel or the like to chew midway through my run. Any brand/flavor you like?

Thanks!

StantonHyde
02-24-2014, 01:14 AM
I don't wear underwear. When I wear shorts, they have a liner. With running pants or tights, I just don't wear underwear. Too much chafing possibility etc.

I like the "shot blocks" better than goo or something like that. I get the orange shot blocks. They sell them at running stores or REI or you can even order them online. Are you eating before you run? I usually eat breakfast, drop off the kids etc, and then run for an hour-hour/half. I don't need to eat in that time, but if it is above 50 degrees, I do wear a camel bak water container on my back and drink as I run. I use the shot blocks when I compete in triathlons or when I am doing a long bike ride in the middle of the day--more than 2 hours after breakfast.

GaPeach_in_Ca
05-27-2014, 06:22 PM
I cannot go without undies. I just wear my usual hanky pankys.
I also like the Shot Blox, but I only use them for the actual race. I don't do anything for just my standard runs. I also don't take water. We run though a park on the long runs, so there is a natural water stop there.

Before a long run (6+ miles), I like to eat something before hand, like a piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter.

SnuggleBuggles
05-27-2014, 06:54 PM
I just wear 100% cotton briefs.

I had more than one bad experience with gels and such so I avoid them totally. I feel like I have enough energy just fine.

daisysmom
05-27-2014, 07:34 PM
I don't wear undies. My shorts have them built in and my tights in winter are fine without. I never ever skip undies otherwise (I can't sleep without undies) but I never wear them running. I don't do goo or any other energy food unless I am running 2 hours. Before any run over an hour I have some simple carbs like a banana.

marinkitty
05-27-2014, 09:47 PM
Another who doesn't wear underwear to run. Either running tights/capris or shorts/skort with built-in undies.

I don't eat when I am running - I can't get a shot blok or gu down while actually running, but then I haven't gone than 10 miles yet. On a long run (8+, I eat a gu after I stop if I think I need a quick carb boost). I don't mind the triple berry flavor but it is so pasty that I can't actually imagine having one while still running. I do drink electrolyte replacement if I'm going more than 7 miles and it is hot. Otherwise just water. But I sweat a ton.

I usually have a protein shake in the morning before a long run - like an hour before. I have a hard time not needing a pit stop if I have a lot of solid food.

I'm also thinking about doing my first 1/2 marathon. I just finished my first 10-mile and have done a 15K too and I think I could stomach 13.1. Can't really imagine ever going further than that though. My hat is off to you marathoners.

pb&j
05-27-2014, 10:21 PM
Love, love, love Honey Stingers. I used to use Shot Bloks, but Honey Stingers have better texture and flavor, and are in smaller pieces.

I also use water with electrolyte tablets dissolved in it - I use nuun u-naturals. The regular nuun has sorbitol that does not agree with me.

cono0507
05-27-2014, 11:15 PM
I go no undies - either running capris or running shorts.

I found Huma gels last year and adore them. All natural gels that have the consistency and taste of jam (I like the strawberry ones). No artificial junk. Never have had any GI issues at all with them. I end up using them every 3-4 miles or so in a half marathon.
http://store.humagel.com/Huma-Gel.html

And I like to drink Scratch.
http://www.skratchlabs.com
Again, all natural electrolyte drink and never causes any stomach badness for me.