PDA

View Full Version : ParaGuard?

TwoBees
02-24-2014, 01:15 PM
Does anyone here have experience with ParaGuard? I'm considering it but would love to hear some personal experiences. DH and I don't want anything permanent right now, and I do not want to go back to hormonal birth control. Thanks.

larig
02-24-2014, 01:50 PM
I've had it since Nov of 2008. No problems. It's awesome, especially considering there are no hormones.

acmom
02-24-2014, 01:57 PM
I was considering it a few years ago after DS was born. My OB recommended it bc I didn't like hormonal birth control options I had tried before kids. But then I had 2 friends who had Paraguards have accidental pregnancies (one had it successfully removed and had a healthy pregnancy/baby, one had a miscarriage right after the procedure to remove it). I'm sure they were the rare exceptions, but after knowing their stories I was too scared to try it!

SnuggleBuggles
02-24-2014, 02:07 PM
Love it! Had one 2-3 years before ds2 then got another when ds2 was 6 weeks old. So, I've had it for almost 6 years now. Early in, periods were heavier and longer and some cramps. But now no cramps, short period duration and easy. Love the Paraguard. No hormones. No work. Big fan.

MommyofAmaya
02-24-2014, 02:29 PM
I had extreme cramping, similar to childbirth, for more than six months with Paragard. I also had severe debilitating pain with BMs. Midwives told me that it was not a result of the IUD, but after I had it removed, I no longer had any of the symptoms.

daisysmom
02-24-2014, 09:44 PM
I had a miserable time with paraguard. I kept it for 5 years but never stopped the really heavy periods that started with it. My gyn said that some people just never get lighter flow sndni was one of them... They were similarly heavy every time as the first time. Do a search in here - I felt this complaint was pretty common.

mikala
02-24-2014, 11:10 PM
A couple friends have them and I've heard mixed things. One friend loves it, another is miserable and wants to remove it but hesitates because she had to pay for it OOP and doesn't want to have wasted the $$.

I considered one but I have a nickel allergy and it sounds like that could be a problem.

legaleagle
02-25-2014, 12:16 AM
I love mine! My first one did start to expel itself after the first month but I've had the replacement for 7 months now with no issues. No real changes to my fairly light periods though I do spot for a couple days first which is kind of annoying. No cramps or heavy flow though. I also have a nickel allergy but have no issues with it.

almostmom
02-25-2014, 12:11 PM
I had it for probably a year. For me, the first 6 months were pretty fine, but after that my periods got longer and heavier, and week-long periods were too much for me so I had it removed. Unfortunately, I am now on loestrin pills, which seem to be the best hormonal bc I can find. The mirena made me a headcase.

Dkc
02-25-2014, 11:40 PM
I have had it for 3 years and I am very happy. No problems...

MaiseyDog
02-26-2014, 12:09 PM
I've had one for 6 years now. Periods are a little heavier than before, but worth it to not have the horomone driven moods swings and spotting that everything else seems to give me. I got it after DD2 was born because DH and I weren't sure about if we wanted more kids. Now we know that we aren't having any more, I'm concidering getting it removed and DH getting snipped. THen I'd have the best of both worlds - no hormones and no long periods. It's time for DH to take one for the team..

Tondi G
02-26-2014, 08:07 PM
I had one for about a year and a half. I tried to stick with it in hopes that it would get better but it was awful. I had much longer and heavier periods. I had crazy pain that would shoot through my hip with cramps and I felt like I could always feel the darn thing in there. Everything felt like it was swollen. I got 2 vaginal bacterial infections during the time that I had it in, and I had never had one before and haven't had one since. My body was just not happy. It was such a relief to get it removed even though it was a bummer that we paid over $1000 for the iud and the insertion appointment. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

ShanaMama
02-26-2014, 09:45 PM
I am on my second or third- can't remember. I don't know if my body change as I got older/ after each baby or if the provider inserting it can make a tremendous difference but my experiences have been a bit all over the place. I really loved my previous one(s). Got it as a replacement for hormonal BCP which was making me a moody wreck. I got this one at my 6 week pp visit. My period always returns around 6 weeks pp & this time around I had super duper heavy periods for about 6 months. Even now that its stabilized I go thru an ultra tampon every hour on my heaviest day. I cant even describe how heavy it was then. I also had staining about a week after period, which is just annoying. I do recall a lot of cramps (both during my period & ovulation) in the beginning as well but I'm not sure how much I can blame on Paraguard as I've always felt myself ovulating pretty intensely, so it may have just gotten worse with age/ childbearing.

I am now almost 2 years into this one & all of my issues have pretty much resolved. My midwives pushed me to try Mirena but I didn't think I was a good candidate for it. I might have an MD put in my next one to test my theory that my dearly beloved midwife's insertion wasn't perfect.

JBaxter
02-27-2014, 09:31 AM
Because my periods were always on the heavy side my last OB recommended against it. No way could I have handled any heavier.

Dkc
02-01-2015, 08:43 AM
My periods are definitely heavier but still worth it. I have it 5 years and no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk