PDA

View Full Version : Whoops....what info do scammers need?!

barkley1
02-24-2014, 05:17 PM
Long story short, a blocked number called my cell claiming my husband had a formal complaint against him in our county's court (she got the correct county). She left a number to call and a case number. When I called back, they were saying the wrong middle name and I told them, 'maybe you have the wrong person bc that's not his middle name'. So they asked for his birthday and I told them before I even thought about it! CRAP! That's about all there was bc she kept saying he would have to call back to get anymore info aBout the charges. I was so worried that his crazy ex was suing us for something, I wasn't even thinking!

So after googling, and DH calling (when he said that's not my name, not my birthday, they said We will note that in the file. Thank you. That's all.), we think it's a scam. Can they do anything with his name and birthday?

specialp
02-24-2014, 06:15 PM
Did you google the number you called? What type of scam did you find on google?

barkley1
02-24-2014, 06:50 PM
The company calls themselves National, and say they are a prelitigation firm. I did find other people who were called by them, but no one I could find actually got scammed in the end. For example by them asking for a credit card to pay a fee, or a social security number. None of that that I could find. Just that it wasn't actually legit bc National would always end up getting irate, or hanging up on them, etc.

Googling the actual phone number comes up with nothing.

specialp
02-24-2014, 08:41 PM
That's strange. I cannot think of anything they could do with just your name and birthday and even an address since they seemed to know your county. So many people have that general information. I would wonder how they had your cell phone number unless you use that as a general # for your family or wonder if they had other info. on him.

sariana
02-24-2014, 08:58 PM
I would notify other members of your family, especially elderly ones, to be especially careful. Now that they have confirmed the middle name, they might try to convince "grandma" that your DH is is trouble and needs money sent right away.

This happened to my DH's grandma. She was convinced he had been arrested because someone called and knew specific info about him.

But really, that kind of information is easy to acquire. I doubt your "slip" makes any difference in the grand scheme of things.