PDA

View Full Version : I have a legal question for you.

Corie
02-24-2014, 08:16 PM
We just got our annual bill for our 2014 HOA dues. Inside the bill, there was a printed letter stating that because
of an "oversight", there were no bills sent out last year for the HOA dues. So, now everyone in our neighborhood
owes HOA dues for 2013 and for 2014. Is this legal? Can you really say, "Oops! I forgot to send out HOA bills
and now, over a year later, I want it."

FWIW, our HOA is still managed by the home builder.

Thank you for your help!

KrisM
02-24-2014, 08:41 PM
No idea, but our HOA are due quarterly, regardless of the reminder letter. Ours is a reminder letter, not a bill. Our bylaws state when the dues are due.

BunnyBee
02-24-2014, 08:49 PM
First check your bylaws. The HOA may be "doing you a favor" by waiving late fees; most set due dates and a physical notice is not required. (That's for people who always claim they didn't receive a bill.) As long as they complied with state laws and the HOA bylaws in setting the dues, I doubt a lack of bill would matter. I bet there's a lawyer in your neighborhood trying to find an out--ask neighbors. More than likely, you owe them.

^^Not actual legal advice!

vonfirmath
02-24-2014, 10:42 PM
Agreed. I suspect the HOA dues are due regardless of whether you receive a bill.

Jen841
02-24-2014, 11:04 PM
Assume they are still due. If you did not pay and don't they can put a lien on your place if you don't pay.

HannaAddict
02-25-2014, 01:46 AM
Assume they are still due. If you did not pay and don't they can put a lien on your place if you don't pay.

Yes, this. It is a pain, but pay up or face a lien would be my guess. Glad they aren't trying to tack on some
outrageous fees.