PDA

View Full Version : driving around trying to avoid the craters

doberbrat
02-25-2014, 10:24 PM
laughingly referred to as potholes is like living in a video game. :(

SnuggleBuggles
02-25-2014, 10:31 PM
They are awful. My car's alignment is all wrong but it seems pointless to fix it till spring. Each drive I have to decide if I am going to hit the car-eating pothole or swerve into traffic. Nothing safe or good about driving out there. Even suckier was last year when I drove through fresh asphalt and it imbedded into my tires and created the really uneven drive. We had to pressure wash/ dig it out with a screwdriver. Again, nothing good about it. :(

KrisM
02-25-2014, 11:01 PM
We've got one road that they close down daily to cover with gravel. It's awful. We didn't get approved for funding to fix it...again. Not sure what they'll do!

My street has 3" of ice on it. No chance of it melting anytime soon!

ahisma
02-25-2014, 11:38 PM
I've replaced two tires this winter due to potholes. No fun.

MamaMolly
02-26-2014, 09:54 AM
But on the bright side if you ever drive in Puerto Rico you'll be prepared. Think of the warm caribbean sun! :) A perfect spot to loose the winter blues.

Ms B
02-26-2014, 11:43 AM
But on the bright side if you ever drive in Puerto Rico you'll be prepared. Think of the warm caribbean sun! :) A perfect spot to loose the winter blues.

So true . . . the last time we went to Vieques we kept joking about whether the potholes or the iguanas were bigger hazards!

OP -- my family lived in Buffalo, NY for many years, so I feel your pain. At one point we used to shout out "Look Myrtle, we just lost the Dodge" every day when we could not avoid a particular pothole near the entrance to the highway.

And this is why my father drove his '79 Honda Accord until the hatchback literally disintegrated . . . no point having a decent car if the salt and potholes are going to ruin it every winter!

BabbyO
02-26-2014, 01:36 PM
They are awful. My car's alignment is all wrong but it seems pointless to fix it till spring. Each drive I have to decide if I am going to hit the car-eating pothole or swerve into traffic. Nothing safe or good about driving out there. Even suckier was last year when I drove through fresh asphalt and it imbedded into my tires and created the really uneven drive. We had to pressure wash/ dig it out with a screwdriver. Again, nothing good about it. :(

You likely drove through cold patch, often used to fill potholes when a municipality can't close an entire road to do a true patch. Cold patch is by design loose and able to stick to tires/shoes, etc. It conforms to the hole based on pressure from tires running over it. It should have been somewhat compacted before you were allowed to drive over it...but often there is spillage around the edges of the pothole. True asphalt is heated then steamrolled prior to allowing traffic on it. This process ensures it adheres to the road and keeps it in tact.

Sorry, that was your nerd lesson for the day. Anyway, cold patch is wicked stuff - DH got some on the soles of his shoes by walking through it...then walked through our living room that had white carpet at the time...

all that said...yeah, I drive one road in particular that could be a suspension testing facility!

SnuggleBuggles
02-26-2014, 01:38 PM
You're right, it was cold patch. I called the borough to complain bc the crew was just walking begins their truck, filling stuff and rolling right along with you behind. No cones, no waving you around, just let you drive right over. Sucked.

Twoboos
02-26-2014, 02:01 PM
It's bad here too. We have a lot of winding little backroads and it's pretty dangerous if there's a car coming in the other direction!

BabbyO
02-26-2014, 02:09 PM
You're right, it was cold patch. I called the borough to complain bc the crew was just walking begins their truck, filling stuff and rolling right along with you behind. No cones, no waving you around, just let you drive right over. Sucked.

Yeah, that is typically how it's done....because they have random holes all over to fill. But around here they usually have at least a hand tamper to compact it some before your car drives over it....so annoying!

SnuggleBuggles
02-26-2014, 02:30 PM
Oh, I know the drill. I see it in action all the time. It was just the first time it damaged my stuff. They could have avoided that easily by waving me around. I still think it was dumb and I'm now paranoid when I see a freshly filled hole. They haven't been taking the time to tamp them down...just scoop and move on.

HonoluluMom
02-26-2014, 02:54 PM
It's pretty bad in Honolulu. Avoiding potholes is like an Olympic sport.

BabbyO
02-26-2014, 04:12 PM
Oh, I know the drill. I see it in action all the time. It was just the first time it damaged my stuff. They could have avoided that easily by waving me around. I still think it was dumb and I'm now paranoid when I see a freshly filled hole. They haven't been taking the time to tamp them down...just scoop and move on.

Ugg...that is so annoying. I suppose it is faster to scoop and run. I'm not so paranoid about driving over them - there's so much salt dust on my tires, nothing would stick....but I'm ALWAYS paranoid about walking across them!

Piglet
02-26-2014, 04:27 PM
I keep reading your title as "driving around trying to avoid the caterers" and keep wondering why your city has rogue caterers out to get you!

Indianamom2
02-26-2014, 06:19 PM
The potholes are always bad around here, but this year they are horrendous. I can't even complain about the road dept. though because I see them out all the time trying to keep up and they just can't this year.

Nyfeara
02-26-2014, 08:46 PM
DH was just saying that his boss hit one so bad, his car is out of commission and he cracked a rib from the impact! Unreal.

Mommy_Mea
02-26-2014, 09:38 PM
I keep reading your title as "driving around trying to avoid the caterers" and keep wondering why your city has rogue caterers out to get you!

LOL, that is what I read first too :)

But yes, the potholes are insane this year, and just going to get worse. I am shocked I didn't lose a tire yesterday, the boys almost learned a new word!!

Mopey
02-27-2014, 05:41 PM
Avoiding potholes is like an Olympic sport.

Seemed like the same the other day in Queens - literally slowing way down and veering all over in the middle of a busy highway (which we did after one so big I screamed out of surprise)! I couldn't believe the holes! :47:

Giantbear
02-27-2014, 05:52 PM
This is one of the worst winters in a long time. It is solemn out there, and i lost the battle two weeks ago, expensive too.

twowhat?
02-28-2014, 10:42 PM
You likely drove through cold patch, often used to fill potholes when a municipality can't close an entire road to do a true patch. Cold patch is by design loose and able to stick to tires/shoes, etc. It conforms to the hole based on pressure from tires running over it. It should have been somewhat compacted before you were allowed to drive over it...but often there is spillage around the edges of the pothole. True asphalt is heated then steamrolled prior to allowing traffic on it. This process ensures it adheres to the road and keeps it in tact.

Sorry, that was your nerd lesson for the day. Anyway, cold patch is wicked stuff - DH got some on the soles of his shoes by walking through it...then walked through our living room that had white carpet at the time...

all that said...yeah, I drive one road in particular that could be a suspension testing facility!

Wow...you learn something every day. Fascinating!!

I am so glad we don't typically deal with this where I live. It would be awful for me. I have a phobia of latex balloons because they could pop at any time...hitting a pothole would have the same effect. GAH! My hands are sweating just thinking about it!