PDA

View Full Version : Flammable rug

flashy09
02-26-2014, 10:16 AM
I just noticed a tag on my nursery rug that says "FLAMMABLE (FAILS U.S. DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE STANDARD FF2-70)" (cut and pasted sorry all caps). This rug was sold as a kids rug, surely that can't be safe?? Or is this actually common and not a concern if not next to a space heater or candle, etc?

123LuckyMom
02-26-2014, 12:22 PM
I'm guessing they're required to state that because the rug is not treated with fire retardants. That's just a guess, though. Every kind of fabric is flammable. If the rug is a natural fiber like cotton or wool, you're fine. In fact, it's better not to have the flame retardants IMO. If it's a polyester or something it can release dangerous chemicals in a fire, but so can anything plastic or microfiber.

flashy09
02-26-2014, 02:01 PM
I'm guessing they're required to state that because the rug is not treated with fire retardants. That's just a guess, though. Every kind of fabric is flammable. If the rug is a natural fiber like cotton or wool, you're fine. In fact, it's better not to have the flame retardants IMO. If it's a polyester or something it can release dangerous chemicals in a fire, but so can anything plastic or microfiber.

Yes, it's 100% cotton. Thank you!

Kindra178
02-26-2014, 03:30 PM
That's great. That means it is not treated with terrible chemicals.

morrisrex
02-07-2015, 08:05 AM
this is very nice post

hillview
02-07-2015, 08:53 AM
That's great. That means it is not treated with terrible chemicals.
:yeahthat: