PDA

View Full Version : Quick pumping question

TwoBees
03-03-2014, 04:24 PM
Just verifying: after pumping, I can rinse my flanges and store in the fridge until the next time I need to pump without washing in between, right? I mean throughout the course of a day, and wash at the end of the day.

chottumommy
03-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Just verifying: after pumping, I can rinse my flanges and store in the fridge until the next time I need to pump without washing in between, right? I mean throughout the course of a day, and wash at the end of the day.

Yep I did this all the time. I also washed the flanges in hot water before the next pump (I always got more milk this way, never liked cold flanges).

lizzywednesday
03-03-2014, 05:14 PM
Yes.

It was too much of a hassle for me to fridge my parts, so I used wipes between pumping sessions instead:

http://www.diapers.com/p/medela-quick-clean-breastpump-accessory-wipes-24-ct-309494?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_D&utm_term=MED-019&utm_campaign=GooglePLA&CAWELAID=1338778453&utm_content=pla&ca_sku=MED-019&ca_gpa=pla&ca_kw={keyword}

A lot of brands have them, but the size of the Medela ones are really nice!

trcy
03-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Yes.

It was too much of a hassle for me to fridge my parts, so I used wipes between pumping sessions instead:

http://www.diapers.com/p/medela-quick-clean-breastpump-accessory-wipes-24-ct-309494?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_D&utm_term=MED-019&utm_campaign=GooglePLA&CAWELAID=1338778453&utm_content=pla&ca_sku=MED-019&ca_gpa=pla&ca_kw={keyword}

A lot of brands have them, but the size of the Medela ones are really nice! Exactly what I did as well.

jbbhb
03-03-2014, 10:47 PM
I can't remember if I even rinsed them prior to throwing them in the fridge... I did run them under warm water prior to pumping, just for my comfort, those flanges get cold!

Mommy_Mea
03-04-2014, 06:23 AM
Yes, I figured this out near the end with ds1, and I wish I had so much earlier!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

LKMang
03-04-2014, 08:11 AM
Yup! I exclusively pumped with DS1 for more than a year and this was such a time saver! I usually rinsed them, shook out the excess water and stored them in a tupperware container.

TwoBees
03-04-2014, 10:11 AM
Yes.

A lot of brands have them, but the size of the Medela ones are really nice!

Exactly what I did as well.

Do the wipes eliminate the need to store in the fridge?

lizzywednesday
03-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Do the wipes eliminate the need to store in the fridge?

Yes.

Fridging means you can skip your post-pump rinse.

Wipes mean you can skip pumping with cold pump parts! They clean any milk residue and don't require rinsing. I love them.

Also, it bought me extra time to wash parts after work - I didn't have to worry about things getting icky or smelly in the baggies I used to transport clean/sterilized parts and I could relax a bit once I got home because I didn't have to race to clean my pump parts with soap.

TwoBees
03-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Yes.

Wipes mean you can skip pumping with cold pump parts! They clean any milk residue and don't require rinsing. I love them.

Also, it bought me extra time to wash parts after work - I didn't have to worry about things getting icky or smelly in the baggies I used to transport clean/sterilized parts and I could relax a bit once I got home because I didn't have to race to clean my pump parts with soap.

Fantastic!

TwoBees
03-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Yes.

Another question about the wipes: do you use these on the valves and membranes too, and do you remove the white membranes and clean the underside?

lizzywednesday
03-04-2014, 04:25 PM
Another question about the wipes: do you use these on the valves and membranes too, and do you remove the white membranes and clean the underside?

Yes, you absolutely can.

I usually didn't completely disassemble my rig, but managed to clean things up well enough that I was comfortable letting it sit the couple hours 'til my next pump session.

TwoBees
03-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Yes, you absolutely can.

I usually didn't completely disassemble my rig, but managed to clean things up well enough that I was comfortable letting it sit the couple hours 'til my next pump session.

Thank you!

trcy
03-04-2014, 08:06 PM
Yes, you absolutely can.

I did disassemble and wipe everything between pumping because I found it to be easier to get to all surfaces but I guess I really didn't 'have to'. I didn't have access to a refrigerator when I was pumping, so those wipes were wonderful.

Chitowngirl
03-05-2014, 07:08 AM
I never used the wipes mostly because I was a little paranoid that I wouldn't be able to get it all clean. How were you able to get in all the nooks and crannies to know you "cleaned it enough"?

lizzywednesday
03-05-2014, 08:46 AM
I never used the wipes mostly because I was a little paranoid that I wouldn't be able to get it all clean. How were you able to get in all the nooks and crannies to know you "cleaned it enough"?

It's actually pretty easy - you twist a corner & thread it through the smaller openings and you're good.