PDA

View Full Version : Should I complain?

sewarsh
03-05-2014, 09:09 AM
Last Tuesday we went to Hollywood & Vine for 8am breakfast with the characters. We got there about 8:10am. We saw Handy Manny about 20 minutes later. Around 9am I asked our waiter when the others were coming over and he kinda brushed me off (was running around working hard)and said they should be there soon that you have to give it an hour.

At 9:10am i left my family to do FP and sign up for Jedi Training and when I got back about 9:40am things were a complete disaster. My family was outside the restaurant, my 7 YO daughter crying because they never got to see Jake or Doc (they did see Sophia shortly after I left), my husband was yelling at her because he wasn't sitting there any longer and didn't realize there were more people to see. I was going to bring her back in to take quick pictures, but there were too many of us (10 people) and she was crying and I wasn't sure what the heck was going on).

Anyways, since we brought additional family members there, our party was 10 people and we dropped over $250 and paid for everyone.
I was urked at my DH because he should've told them about the other characters but he gets so frazzled sometimes being by himself with all the kids + 2 sets of grandparents who can sometimes add to the drama or cause it. :)

Should we complain to Disney or is it too late now that we are home? And if so, who do we complain to?
Thanks.

egoldber
03-05-2014, 10:24 AM
I would write a letter to Guest Services and explain what happened, expressing your dissatisfaction. They may do something for you or not, but it doesn't hurt.

FWIW, we had a VERY similar experience at that same meal at the end of January. We saw Jake at the very beginning and then NO other characters until after our meal. I spoke to the waitress who talked to the character handler who sent the other characters over to our section (it wasn't just our table missed). I have had this happen before at other meals and I knew that I had to be a little forceful to get the character handler's attention. They are the ones who direct the characters, so if they are not paying attention, a section can get missed.

Sofia and Doc are new there, so I think they are still working sime kinks out. Also, the little "dance" they do every few minutes seems to disrupt the flow of characters to the tables.

TwinFoxes
03-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Writing to GS can't hurt, but I have no idea what they could do for you at this point, unless you're making a trip back soon. I think Hollywood and Vine had the most chaotic character meal we've experienced. We were sitting near where the characters come out, but right before they got to us, they had to dance, and then they skipped us! I made our waitress send them back over. DDs were clearly getting upset, so it was in her best interest to not have a 4 year old melt down x2 first thing in the AM.

BunnyBee
03-05-2014, 08:48 PM
If DH didn't ask about the characters again, I don't know that I would complain to Guest Services. When we've been randomly skipped before, our servers have always been good about getting the characters back to the table. There's an email if you want to write about your experience. They're very responsive but it does take a few days (you get an automated reply with that message). There's also a phone number. Usually if you want to get something done, it's best to address it the day of and in the park at the Guest Relations building. I wouldn't expect any sort of refund, but they will apologize and thank you for the feedback. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/help/phone/

BayGirl2
03-08-2014, 01:22 AM
I guess there's no harm in complaining to GS. I mean Disney is pretty good at making magic happen.

When we've missed someone we've always said something to make sure the come over and its been effective. Also, if I'm reading right you arrived 10 mins late for an 8am reservation which could have messed up the rotation. The characters, as I understand it, work the tables in an order. So if they started the rotation at 8 when the first round of tables were being seated then they would miss your table. If you got there at 10 of and they took 20 minutes to seat you that's one thing, but if you arrived late with a big party I think that could be part of the issue. Just a guess.

Again, can't hurt to try if its really bothering you.

lkoala
03-10-2014, 06:18 PM
We just got back from our vacay at Disneyland. We had almost the same experience at Goofy's Kitchen for dinner. We got to see a few characters but a few just completely ignored us even though we tried to get their attention. We told our waiter and he said he would talk to the handler but nothing happened (don't think he did).

While we were leaving, I went up to the desk and talked to the clerk who called up the character handler. She had us come back in and had the characters that missed our table come up and meet us. I was a bit irked by one of them because he was a bit brusque. But, the rest were very gracious and it took care of the issue.

I did write to guest services about the experience along with a few other things that happened on this trip. I was disappointed because our trip last year went so well but this year there were a number of issues. Anyway, can't hurt to write to guest services and explain what happened.

TwinFoxes
03-10-2014, 06:42 PM
I was a bit irked by one of them because he was a bit brusque. But, the rest were very gracious and it took care of the issue.

OK, I totally believe you, but this made me chuckle, that one of the characters managed to convey brusqueness. Was it Donald? ;)

egoldber
03-10-2014, 07:04 PM
It looks like face characters appear regularly at Goofy's Kitchen. Although I had the same initial thought. :)

lkoala
03-10-2014, 07:12 PM
No, Donald was great :)

It was Chip! He was actually gesturing at me to hurry up when I was handing him the autograph book. Maybe it was break time for him...

egoldber
03-10-2014, 07:13 PM
No! Not Chip! Say it isn't so!

:ROTFLMAO:

buddyleebaby
03-12-2014, 02:12 PM
In the past, we have always been advised that character meals usually take about an hour and a half. It sounds like the characters may have been running a bit slower than usual, but it is hard to tell based on your timetable, as an hour and a half after you were seated your family was already waiting outside the building. I don't know if I would complain, given that it was your husband who made that choice.