PDA

View Full Version : I hate the word

KpbS
03-06-2014, 11:43 AM
"photobombed." And all of the stupidity that goes along with it. I get it, I just think it's dumb, and I am so tired of reading that word.

Another made up word/phrase I hate is "nom, nom, nom." Churns my stomach.

Which trendy (or non-trendy) words/phrases do you hate?

gatorsmom
03-06-2014, 11:53 AM
I'm old so I'm sure my list of hated trendy phrases is outdated. I've always hated "Whusup." I hated it 15 years ago and still hate it. I've come to really hate the phrase, "big time." I didn't always hate it but it is really overused and now I can't stand it. I hate it big time. ;)

I am also so tired of the word, "amazing." Not everything in the world is amazing. That purse, your new boyfriend, your new shirt are not "amazing." insert eyeroll.

Finally, I can't stand everyone, including my children, using the word, "literally" except when it's used correctly. And since I'm not sure my children (my 10yo might be an exception) even know what it means, then they should stop using it completely. literally.

JCat
03-06-2014, 12:56 PM
I hate the word "Trending". It sounds like someone uncool is deesperately trying to be cool. The opposite of trending.

AngelaS
03-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Yum. As in, "ice cream is so yum!" No. It's yummy. Ugh.

jench
03-06-2014, 01:02 PM
I can't stand "my bad"! Does anyone still say that besides my DH, haha?!

lizzywednesday
03-06-2014, 01:30 PM
In addition to all the wonderful linguistic quirks you lovely ladies have already brought up, my DH uses "ironically" when he means "coincidentally," for which I blame Alanis Morisette's song. Not every coincidence is ironic, though there are such things as ironic coincidences.

I have called him out on it repeatedly, though I should probably be a lot more tactful about it.

I even called our favorite band out on it on Twitter. Thankfully, they corrected themselves!

"It's all good" used to annoy me, but it's since fallen out of fashion, much like "my bad," which should have died in 1995.

NCGrandma
03-06-2014, 02:30 PM
"Notorious/notoriety" when used to mean famous/fame, either positive or negative. I've heard this used by so many people who really should know better that I've almost given up...

And another oldie ... "No problem" instead of "you're welcome."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Ceepa
03-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Agree with photobomb.

baby bump
whuck

Sweetsunshine
03-06-2014, 02:52 PM
The word nosh (not sure if it's really a word!) makes me queasy. It's the name of a new restaurant in town and I refuse to go there even though it has some pretty good reviews.

baymom
03-06-2014, 03:21 PM
'awesome sauce'--I hate it. What's with adding 'sauce' to the end??

bisous
03-06-2014, 05:20 PM
I'm sure there are more phrases that bug me but right now I'll second gatorsmom with "literally" used all the time.

KLD313
03-06-2014, 05:26 PM
I hate when describing a house people say it has good bones. Idk why it just drives me nuts.

eagle
03-06-2014, 05:38 PM
i hate "skinny". "skinny" latte, "skinny bagel" omg i hate the skinnytaste, skinnykitchen. i HATE "skinny"

elizabethkott
03-06-2014, 06:09 PM
Working with high school students, I could have *quite* the list.
Currently en vogue around here:
It's mad brick. (It's really cold.)
Conversate (to have a conversation with someone. I called a girl out on this in the hallway today. I asked her what she was doing, and she said she was "conversating with my friends". I said, "You do realize that's not an actual word, right?" She didn't.)
The words "squirrel" and "thot" to describe a young lady who is free with her physical affections with multiple young gentlemen.

Kymberley
03-06-2014, 06:55 PM
"Yummo" comes to mind. I HATE IT.

oneplustwo
03-06-2014, 07:08 PM
Oh, I get super cranky about what I consider incorrect use of the English language. I cringe at the continuing trend to turn nouns into verbs. Athletes who medaled in the Olympics; politicians who dialogued ~ please stop verbing everything, people!

Anyone remember this from Calvin & Hobbes?

Calvin: I like to verb words.
Hobbes: What?
Calvin: I take nouns and adjectives and use them as verbs. Remember when "access" was a thing? Now it's something you do. It got verbed. . . . Verbing weirds language.
Hobbes: Maybe we can eventually make language a complete impediment to understanding.

essnce629
03-06-2014, 07:12 PM
Hella.

HATE it!!!! Nobody from southern CA uses it! But when my half sister came to visit she used it constantly!

hbridge
03-06-2014, 07:15 PM
"just kidding" when something mean/inappropriate is said or they make a mistake!

I work with middle school age kids and it's making me crazy! "Oh, just kidding, the answer is 20"! Arg... No you were not "just kidding" you made a mistake, it's okay to make mistakes!!!!

Drives me NUTS!

happymom
03-06-2014, 07:16 PM
I personally don't get that bothered by trendy words although sometimes it does take me time to adjust to new ones! "Mad" and "legit" come to mind.

Pennylane
03-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Nom, nom, nom is also one I hate! My biggest pet peeve though is "Totes". MAKES. ME. CRAZY! Actually that reminds me of another one, Cray ! Oh and YOLO! Ugh, I could go on and on!

Ann

cuca_
03-06-2014, 08:01 PM
KK for ok. Apparently it is an internet abbreviation for ok, cool. My older kids use it al the time in conversation and it drives me crazy!!!

AnnieW625
03-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Words that annoy me:
nom nom
nosh
photobomb
libations (just say drinks or cocktails please!)
thriving/thrive

I grew up in Yolo County in California and it never once was called You Only Live Once. I bet there are a bunch of high school kids calling it that now.

Hella.

HATE it!!!! Nobody from southern CA uses it! But when my half sister came to visit she used it constantly!

Okay so you have never lived north of the grapevine! :rotflmao: I say hella a fair amount of the time out of habit. It is the one way to pick out non So Cal natives;)

Twoboos
03-06-2014, 08:07 PM
Cannot stand Hella and Nom Nom Nom. My (much younger) NoCal cousin uses these all the time on FB and that coupled with her horrid spelling makes me want to reach out and slap her.

I also can't stand Totes.

Nechums
03-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Fester is my least favorite word. It reminds me of Uncle Fester from Addams Family.

DietCokeLover
03-06-2014, 09:11 PM
"Absolutely". Everyone uses it now. Please just say yes.

TwinFoxes
03-06-2014, 09:44 PM
My least favorite is "I threw up in my mouth a little bit". Not because it's icky, because it's totally PLAYED OUT! I laughed the first time I heard it...that was 2003. Why not just say "talk to the hand", you'll sound equally cutting edge.

Hella.

I stand with Gwen Stefani as natives of SoCal who says "hella". :)

I plead guilty to using "cray" but I double it to "cray cray". Is that twice as bad? ;)

Annie, I have to agree, I never once thought of Yolo county when seeing YOLO.

BTW, "nosh" is a Yiddish word.

carolinacool
03-06-2014, 10:37 PM
Ha! My 39-year-old self totally says "cray." Other side effects of listening to our local hip hop station. I am over "that's what's up."

DJ: "Hey, caller. You just won two tickets to see Drake."
Caller: "That's what's up."

And this one is fairly new, but everything is now "turnt up." The basketball game was turnt up. This weekend was turnt up. The party was turnt up. I guess it's the new "crunk."

ahisma
03-06-2014, 10:56 PM
Preggers - really rubs me the wrong way
Pwned - just looks like a typo and I'll never get it, even though I know what it means
K - It's already an abbreviation, would it kill you to type the "o"?
Anything related to the doge meme. I think I'm just too old.

lizzywednesday
03-07-2014, 10:10 AM
The word nosh (not sure if it's really a word!) makes me queasy. It's the name of a new restaurant in town and I refuse to go there even though it has some pretty good reviews.

"Nosh" is a real word from Yiddish.

Definition here:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nosh

Doesn't bother me, but I use a lot of Yiddish words in my everyday speech.

lizzywednesday
03-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Fester is my least favorite word. It reminds me of Uncle Lester from Addams Family.

Was that a typo? Because his name is actually "Fester."

Nechums
03-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Was that a typo? Because his name is actually "Fester."

Haha. Yes. Changing it now...

HonoluluMom
03-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Amazeballs :barf:

Pennylane
03-07-2014, 06:37 PM
Amazeballs :barf:

I forgot this one. Even worse, "Totes Amazeballs" !

Ann

♥ms.pacman♥
03-07-2014, 07:06 PM
i hate "photobombed" too. can't stand "totes" either. HATE "nom nom"'... UGH. i also hate it when people refer to sunglasses as "sunnies" and reservations as "rezzies." Eg. "We got rezzies at xxxx fancy restaurant for date night!" and people comment "ooh, love those sunnies." EYE-ROLL.

i love "hella", but i guess that's because i grew up in Northern CA :)

speo
03-07-2014, 07:23 PM
For me the absolute worst is "threw up in my mouth" ... because it is so disgusting. Why make me have to think of that? And no you really didn't!

No to "hella."

I also don't like "out of the box."

And I don't like any word used to replace profanity. Do it or don't do it.

cookiemonster80
03-07-2014, 08:37 PM
'Crazy good deal'. Drives me batty

cookiemonster80
03-07-2014, 08:39 PM
Pwned - just looks like a typo and I'll never get it, even though I know what it means

Um, what does it mean?

gatorsmom
03-07-2014, 08:50 PM
I cringe at the continuing trend to turn nouns into verbs. Athletes who medaled in the Olympics; politicians who dialogued ~ please stop verbing everything, people!

ITA. The one that comes to mind that I hesitate to mention because I think most people accept it, is the word "gifting." As in, "I'm gifting that to my SIL at her shower." Isn't the word "giving" fancy enough? Or is it the fact that it makes the speaker sound more generous because they are providing a "gift"? I dunno, it just drives me nuts.

Fester is my least favorite word. It reminds me of Uncle Fester from Addams Family.

This made me think of Meg Ryan's character from French Kiss, "fester, fester, fester, rot, rot, rot." funny movie.

AshleyAnn
03-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Our newest employee is extremely arrogant and talks in buzzwords. I'm so tired on "reaching out" to "my peers" and worrying about "facetime" with the managers I've had for 3+ years and creating "touchpoints" with our customers who've been with us for 10+ years.

Luckily very few of the people I'm in contact with use much pop culture lingo. I was dating who texted me he was going "to go Ham"once I thought it was a typo and made a joke about it, turns out he was serious and its slang for go crazy. Opps. I also hate "totes" and "my bad"

Gracemom
03-07-2014, 10:39 PM
The phrase "jump the shark" annoys me greatly. Totally overused are hashtags and selfies. Yes, I am old and cranky.

kerridean
03-08-2014, 12:26 AM
panties
operation-prefer "surgery"
"might could"-this is very common here in the deep south. Horrible

essnce629
03-08-2014, 01:03 AM
I have never heard of sunnies, totes, pwned, rezzies, or amazeballs! Where have I been???

Pennylane
03-08-2014, 10:00 AM
I have never heard of sunnies, totes, pwned, rezzies, or amazeballs! Where have I been???

Not on Instagram or Twitter :)

Ann

scrooks
03-08-2014, 10:11 AM
I'm right there with you! I feel like I live under a rock!

queenmama
03-08-2014, 10:40 AM
I will say "hella" til the day I die. #norcal #represent #stupidhashtagswheretheydontbelong

Lara

hellokitty
03-08-2014, 11:45 AM

These are new to me too, except for amazeballs. That one I first came across here at BBB. I don't have a particular list of phrases I hate, but I hate words that are intentionaly spelled incorrectly. Like that stupid cereal, they call it, "Krave." Why is is spelled incorrectly? Is it supposed to be more edgy spelled with a K vs. a C? All it does is make me roll my eyes at how dumbed down our society has gotten. Oh and anything that Rachel Ray says is annoying. "Yum-O, garbage bowl, EVOO." I just don't like her. Oh and speaking of tv celebrity chefs, Sandra Dee tacking on an overly enthusiastic, "It's SEMI-homemade" throughout the show is annoying. Lady, it's either homemade or it's not. Dumping a jar of store-bought jam on top of a store-bought pound cake doesn't even come close to anything homemade! It's called dumping #$^! together, my 4 yr old can do that!

pastrygirl
03-08-2014, 12:19 PM
I haven't heard of half of these, either! Though my 4yo says awesomesauce and I think it's pretty cute when he says it. Totes, turnt up, crunk... What are those???

TwinFoxes
03-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Sunnies is a new one for me too. It's totes McGotes annoying though. ;)

ahisma
03-08-2014, 08:07 PM
Um, what does it mean?

Pwned means owned - like you won a competition.

Full disclosure: I have a 15 year old DD and my DH is a high school teacher. I hear this junk all of the time. Drives me crazy.

essnce629
03-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Not on Instagram or Twitter :)

Yes, that is true! Definitely NOT on Twitter and I do have an Instagram account but rarely go on it!

trcy
03-08-2014, 11:17 PM
I'm right there with you! I feel like I live under a rock!
I am under the same rock. It is a happy place with no annoying phrases though :)

Rainbows&Roses
03-09-2014, 01:23 PM
We have been saying sunnies around here for a decade as introduced to us by a friend in Australia long before the days of twitter.

indigo99
03-09-2014, 04:01 PM
I read that literally is one of those words where the new usage is accepted now so it isn't incorrect. Apparently Websters is the authority on these things.

I'm with the others who haven't even heard of many of those mentioned in this thread. I don't know if it's trendy exactly, but my biggest peeve is always using "bring" when you mean "take. "Will you take me to work tomorrow?" and not "Will you bring me to work tomorrow?" or "Will you take these back to the library when you go?" instead of "Will you bring these back to the library when you go?".

buddyleebaby
03-09-2014, 08:47 PM
"Vaping".

*myfoursons
03-09-2014, 10:44 PM
#hashtagswhenyou'renotonfreakintwitter
FML
That awkward moment when

Hate them all, and probably every other word listed in this post. I'm cranky.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-09-2014, 10:48 PM
I will say "hella" til the day I die. #norcal #represent

:yeahthat: :cheerleader1::bighand::ROTFLMAO:

essnce629
03-09-2014, 11:31 PM
I don't think I can be friends with all of you who use the word "hella!"

Staraglimmer
03-10-2014, 12:55 AM
I can't stand:
-preggers
-"just sayin'"
-my daughter using "sassy" to mean pretty/cute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cagey
03-10-2014, 08:34 AM
its one thing to read them, but to hear them verbally is what grates on me. When someone says "O.M.G" i cringe. Written is more palatable for some reason!

KLD313
03-10-2014, 09:07 AM
I have another one, my friend says it's all Gucci and it makes me cringe. He's a 47 yo financial advisor and just sounds stupid.

AnnieW625
03-10-2014, 05:58 PM
I thought of another one: "whole child" in regards to the trend at least in So Cal for every single private school (including DD1's now since the school got a new principal 18 months ago) to have some phrase in their paperwork/mission statement/advertising material that indicates that they "educate the whole child." It's probably pretty common in public schools with incomes that skew higher as well.

me as well, except for totes, I have heard that in regards to purses or bags, but if it is in regards to something else have no idea what that means.

barkley1
03-10-2014, 10:31 PM
Totes = totally

All of these are like nails on a chalkboard. I'm glad pwned lost its coolness pretty quickly.

lkoala
03-11-2014, 06:53 PM
I'm with the others who haven't even heard of many of those mentioned in this thread. I don't know if it's trendy exactly, but my biggest peeve is always using "bring" when you mean "take. "Will you take me to work tomorrow?" and not "Will you bring me to work tomorrow?" or "Will you take these back to the library when you go?" instead of "Will you bring these back to the library when you go?".

I thought I was the only one driven bonkers by the use of bring instead of take. I don't know when it started creeping into pop culture but I have really noticed it in the last few years. I see it on tv and in books now. Very maddening.

I must be under a rock too (one that has moss growing on it) because I haven't heard 95% of these words.

Meatball Mommie
03-13-2014, 01:02 PM
KK for ok. Apparently it is an internet abbreviation for ok, cool. My older kids use it al the time in conversation and it drives me crazy!!!

Ha! I'm trendy and I didn't even know it! Those are my initials and I sign lots of things "kk" ;)

The overuse of words is what kills me. My kids get hooked on something and then use the same word to describe everything.
Amazing
Sexy (?!? I had to tell them that they couldn't tell me I looked sexy - they thought it was just that I looked good)
Seriously (before every other sentence - kind of how people use literally)

94bruin
03-17-2014, 01:53 PM
In addition to all the wonderful linguistic quirks you lovely ladies have already brought up, my DH uses "ironically" when he means "coincidentally," for which I blame Alanis Morisette's song. Not every coincidence is ironic, though there are such things as ironic coincidences.

I have called him out on it repeatedly, though I should probably be a lot more tactful about it.

I know I'm late to this conversation, but if you watch this you might find it amusing. Someone took it upon herself to fix Alanis' song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32LCwZFoKio

What I can't stand is when people use crazy as an adverb as in "crazy busy". When did crazy become an adverb?

lizzywednesday
03-17-2014, 02:29 PM
I know I'm late to this conversation, but if you watch this you might find it amusing. Someone took it upon herself to fix Alanis' song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32LCwZFoKio

Oh yes, I've seen the "corrected" Ironic video and found it brilliant.

Mopey
03-17-2014, 02:32 PM
I'll play!

I hate that people mess up further/farther and no one seems to understand proper use of the word dilemma!

Further refers to degree, farther to actual physical distance. And a dilemma is having to choose between two options, neither of which you really want to choose.

Phew. Thanks :)

ETA: Amaze-balls is AWFUL!

Cam&Clay
03-17-2014, 03:07 PM
"kiddos"

Why are children suddenly kiddos? We had a child psychologist give a presentation the other day at school and she called children "kiddos" the whole time--very unprofessional.

I hear it all the time lately. It makes me crazy.

Ceepa
03-17-2014, 03:30 PM
"kiddos"

Why are children suddenly kiddos? We had a child psychologist give a presentation the other day at school and she called children "kiddos" the whole time--very unprofessional.

I hear it all the time lately. It makes me crazy.

Yes. I dislike kiddo even more than I dislike preggo.

daniele_ut
03-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Adorbs. Really, do we need to abbreviate the entire English language? I HATE that word.

For those if you who abhor the incorrect usage of the word "literally", I give you Captain Literally, courtesy of Studio C:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9jh4Mpgbi4A

And there is also Captain Irony:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WFLcce77BF4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
03-17-2014, 05:11 PM
I use kiddo all the time. It's one of my favorites. :)

elbenn
03-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Sunnies is an Australian abbreviation--they abbreviate lots of words like that.

I like the word nosh just fine--it's a totes legit word:)

I can't stand the word totes--sounds like no one else on the BBB likes it either.

Love the Calvin & Hobbes cartoon and the Sandra Lee jokes!

I will add a phrase that no one has said yet--using the phrase "I could care less" when the speaker means "I couldn't care less."

kdeunc
03-17-2014, 09:01 PM
I hate the phrase Gone missing. When did people stop disappearing, getting abducted, vanishing, etc?

janine
03-27-2014, 02:23 PM
Our newest employee is extremely arrogant and talks in buzzwords. I'm so tired on "reaching out" to "my peers" and worrying about "facetime" with the managers I've had for 3+ years and creating "touchpoints" with our customers who've been with us for 10+ years.

Luckily very few of the people I'm in contact with use much pop culture lingo. I was dating who texted me he was going "to go Ham"once I thought it was a typo and made a joke about it, turns out he was serious and its slang for go crazy. Opps. I also hate "totes" and "my bad"

LOL for me it is the work phrases - "get some color" (stop pretending you're so in the know!) or signing off "best" (ANNOYING).

For everyday phrases or FB posts, yes NOM NOM is ANNOYing. Or anything beginning with a hash.

twotimesblue
03-28-2014, 01:19 AM
I HATE 'Lol'. Or 'Rotfl'. Especially as the sentences that precede these annoying acronyms are very rarely amusing, let alone 'laugh out loud'.

I also can't stand 'could care less' (learn English, people!) and 'selfie' is rocketing up my annoyance list

arivecchi
03-28-2014, 07:41 AM
Blessed. Most overused and trite word on FB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
03-28-2014, 11:48 AM
......more than I dislike preggo.

I hear you on that one.

Burn my BBB card, but I hate the phrase "we're pregnant." ............ um.........no, your wife/girlfriend is pregnant. You and your spouse are expecting, that's fine, but men aren't pregnant.

Mopey
03-28-2014, 01:39 PM
Burn my BBB card, but I hate the phrase "we're pregnant." ............ um.........no, your wife/girlfriend is pregnant. You and your spouse are expecting, that's fine, but men aren't pregnant.

:yeahthat::cheerleader1::bowdown:
You have NO idea how much I love you for saying it first!!! I wanted to but thought I'd be strung up. Drives me bonkers. No, WE are not pregnant! I am pregnant!

I also feel the same way about all the annoying people who made me pose for cheesy photos and couple holdingthebelly shots when pregnant! :angry-smiley-005: